PDA

View Full Version : smog law histry

YldEvoMr06
11-16-2006, 02:48 PM
1963 California requires crankcase devices on new vehicles and older vehicles to be retrofitted.
1966 California applies exhaust emission standards to new vehicles.
1967 The first federal Clean Air Act passes. It lets the state establish air quality standards. The Act was updated in 1970.
1969 California Highway Patrol (CHP) begins roadside inspections, checking emission control systems.
1972 CHP begins collecting emissions data from vehicles during roadside inspections.
1973 A state law passes, authorizing a pilot loaded-mode inspection program in Riverside.
1974 CHP begins issuing "Notices of Correction" to operators of vehicles exceeding pollution standards.
1975-78 Department of Consumer Affairs/Bureau of Automotive Repair (DCA/BAR) conducts
approximately 100,000 loaded-mode tests in Riverside to gather inspection and repair data for a future program.
1977 Amendments to the federal Clean Air Act require states to comply with federal emission
standards, prompting California to create a vehicle inspection program.
1979 BAR administers a contractor-run, change-of-ownership inspection network in the South Coast Air Basin. The contractor performs several million loaded-mode tests before the contract ends in 1984.
1982 The California Legislature passes a law creating the state's first statewide Smog Check program. It is signed by Governor Jerry Brown.
1984 California’s first biennial (every other year) inspection program begins. Vehicles in most areas cannot be registered without passing a Smog Check inspection once every two years. DCA/BAR oversees the program.
1990 Responding to amendments to the federal Clean Air Act, the United States Environmental
Protection Agency (USEPA) calls for enhanced emissions testing. It orders the elimination of private station vehicle inspections. The USEPA proposes, in addressing a potential conflict of interest among stations that both test and repair vehicles, that every California vehicle owner obtain a Smog Check inspection at a "test only" center either run or contracted by the state. Federal officials threaten to withhold $500 million in federal highway funds if the state does not comply.
1993 Governor Pete Wilson and the California Legislature enter into lengthy negotiations with the USEPA in an attempt to preserve motorist convenience and private sector investment in the Smog Check program.
1994 An alternative plan, devised by a bipartisan legislative majority and signed into law by Governor Pete Wilson, enhances the existing Smog Check program. The plan focuses on identifying and repairing "Gross Polluters," those vehicles that dramatically exceed federal and state emissions regulations and are responsible for roughly half of California's vehicular smog. The plan is designed to achieve a reduction in vehicle emissions that will meet federal standards without unduly inconveniencing motorists. At least 15 percent of vehicles in Enhanced Areas, California's
smoggiest regions, will be inspected at authorized Test-Only stations. The overwhelming majority of vehicle owners will continue obtaining emissions tests at traditional testing sites.
1996 Smog Check stations around California install and begin to use new Electronic Transmission (ET) computer technology to enable DCA/BAR to identify Gross Polluters, while helping to prevent the fraudulent issuance of smog certificates to vehicles that actually fail. With ET, "on-line" Smog Checks are conducted while linked by computer to DCA/BAR. At the conclusion of a passing emissions test, an electronic smog certificate is immediately transmitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
1998 Stations in Enhanced Areas are required to perform, on most vehicles, Acceleration Simulation Mode (ASM) tests using dynamometer equipment, a treadmill-like device that simulates driving conditions. This new equipment tests vehicles for hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and for the first time ever, oxides of nitrogen (NOx), a major smog-forming pollutant. A small number of vehicles with full-time, four-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, and traction control are not able to be tested on the dynamometer. These vehicles continue to be tested in the two-speed idle mode. A gas cap pressure test is also part of the process. The amount of money that must be spent on repairs by vehicle owners to qualify for a two-year Repair Cost Waiver is increased to $450 in all areas of the state.
An Economic Hardship Extension also becomes available for low-income motorists. The limit to qualify for the two-year Extension is $250.
2000 Governor Gray Davis authorizes DCA/BAR to implement the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP). Eligible motorists are able to receive up to $500 to fix their vehicle or $1,000 to retire it.
2002 The Consumer Assistance Program provides repair assistance for more than 26,000 vehicles, resulting in an estimated reduction of 3,000 tons per year of air pollutants. Over 33,000 vehicles are retired, but this program is suspended in 2002 due to budget constraints. The Consumer Assistance Program continues to offer repair assistance.
California Department of Consumer Affairs Hotline 1-800-952-5210

vtluu
11-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Okay so you can cut-and-paste; where's the original article?

(Copying other people's works without attributing them, is that what they teach kids in school these days? :roll:)

Saw this one but it goes back further: http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/brochure/history.htm

YldEvoMr06
11-16-2006, 04:47 PM
it is a public info... not all people are keen with clicking links.... might as well provide the data so people can read it as they open the topic posted...
ignorance of the law excuses No one.... and in most post I did which some were copied from other sites ... I never did claim it was my work, I merely reposted an already existing info for the public to read... I never add or subtract informations... I always post it as it is... if you add/modify data then that is the time that you are providing wrong information--- where is credibility then.. making Mockery of other peoples initiative which only intention is to provide correct/accurate information for the fellow NCE Members and guest readers... but anyways if asked sources will be provided..

lncrevoviii
11-20-2006, 03:05 PM
the reason why people ask for link other than Copy Righted material is because its much easier to read from the actual website. Reading all that in a forum starts to hurt one's eyes and I think I skipped two lines, until later on I figured WTF!! and quit. :D

Positron
11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
the reason why people ask for link other than Copy Righted material is because its much easier to read from the actual website. Reading all that in a forum starts to hurt one's eyes and I think I skipped two lines, until later on I figured WTF!! and quit. :D

werd, exactly my thoughts.