PDA

View Full Version : Mitsu Executive's Arrested

EvoKach
06-10-2004, 02:01 PM
It's about time. They should have to pay for all of the screw-ups and warranty claims that they have denied. I hate Mistubishi but love the EVO and the 4G63T. I honestly would not buy any other car from Mitsubishi

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=509&e=12&u=/ap/japan_mitsubishi_motors

Arrest Deals Blow to Mitsubishi's Hopes

2 hours, 1 minute ago Add Business - AP to My Yahoo!

By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer

TOKYO - In a major blow to Mitsubishi Motors Corp. (news - web sites)'s hopes for revival, former president Katsuhiko Kawasoe was arrested Thursday on charges related to a cover-up of auto defects suspected in a fatal accident.

Five other Mitsubishi officials, including a former president and vice president at the truck unit, also were under arrest, police said.

The arrests come just weeks after several Mitsubishi officials were charged in a separate accident, and are a serious setback to a turnaround plan announced last month after the company's partner DaimlerChrysler refused to provide fresh infusions of cash.

Mitsubishi Motors' image has been badly tarnished and sales have fallen since it admitted four years ago it had systematically hidden auto defects and announced a massive recall.

Kawasoe, 67, resigned as president of the company in 2000 to take responsibility for the recall scandal, but denied any knowledge of the cover-up that had been going on for decades at the company.

Police now say Kawasoe and the others failed to follow orders from authorities to report auto defects, dealing only with reported problems dating back to March 1998 and choosing to overlook suspected clutch defects reported in 1996.

Those defects are suspected in an October 2002 accident, in which the driver of a Mitsubishi truck died after he crashed. Only this year did the truck unit acknowledge the defects that could cause clutch covers to crack and lead to brake failure.

Mitsubishi Fuso Truck & Bus Corp. President Wilfried Porth has acknowledged a "corporate culture of concealment," and has publicly apologized to the mother of a woman killed by a wheel that rolled off a Mitsubishi truck because of a suspected defect. That defect has resulted in belated recalls of thousands of trucks.

Mitsubishi Motors has announced 10 recalls this year affecting thousands of vehicles for dozens of defects it had kept hidden even after the attempt four years ago to come clean.

Authorities said all six of those arrested Thursday are in police custody. Prosecutors will be deciding whether to file official charges. Under Japanese law, a conviction for professional negligence resulting in injury is punishable by a prison term of less than five years or a fine under $4,500.

Mitsubishi Motors has announced one revival plan after the other in recent years, promising to beef up quality control under the guidance of DaimlerChrysler. But the spate of recalls has not ended.

"Regaining credibility is not an easy task amid a recurring emergence of recall cover-ups," Japan's top business daily Nihon Keizai Shimbun said Thursday.

Mitsubishi reported a 215 billion yen ($2 billion) loss for the fiscal year ended March 31 and expects to stay in the red this fiscal year. Although it is hoping to return to profitability by March 2007, sales in Japan have been plunging, dropping nearly 60 percent in May, for example, and are not expected to recover for months.

Mitsubishi Motors announced another turnaround plan last month with injections of money from the Mitsubishi group and other companies that will lower DaimlerChrysler's stake in the company from 37 percent to about 20 percent.

Mitsubishi Motors's shares rose 0.5 percent to close at 200 yen ($1.81) on Thursday on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Mitsubishi Motors President Yoichiro Okazaki, who took office in April, has repeatedly said the company is facing its last chance to survive and must fully disclose all hidden defects.

"We take this matter very seriously and intend to fully cooperate in investigations," he said. "We pray for the soul of the victim and offer our sincerest apologies to the family."

EvoVIII
06-10-2004, 02:07 PM
haha

BUDLoNG
06-10-2004, 03:04 PM
you took the words out of my mouth :)

ez76
06-10-2004, 04:55 PM
bros before hoes

GokuSSJ4
06-10-2004, 05:37 PM
:lol:

BluEvo
06-10-2004, 06:53 PM
so does that mean, the dealership is going to stop dickin us on warranty stuff they should be fixing??!!

WRXTodd
06-10-2004, 08:38 PM
no it means the company is gonna go belly up before they can come put with an Evo 9... i was gonna wait till they came out with an EVO X before i bought one.... shame

EvoKach
06-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Bastards.........I keep getting this PO300 error and they tell me they can't tell what's wrong even though they have many documented cases of it and Mitsu engineering has been looking at it for a month. I'm printing this out and bringing it to the owner of my dealer. I'm going to ask politely for a prompt solution to my PO300 error and also kindly inform him that I'm aware of Mitsu's situation and I appreciate the dealers speedy actions that they are going to take.

You think that a company would own up to its mistakes, especially an automobile company.

vtluu
06-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Well good luck to you... Though I don't think it'll make much of a difference. Over here we don't arrest people for covering up defects--at most all they'll get is a big fat class action lawsuit. I think most Mitsu dealers (with some notable exceptions) will continue being a**holes right up until the day they all go out of business. And if that's how they treat customers, then good riddance to them I say.

warpspeed
06-11-2004, 01:28 AM
I'm printing this out and bringing it to the owner of my dealer. I'm going to ask politely for a prompt solution to my PO300 error and also kindly inform him that I'm aware of Mitsu's situation and I appreciate the dealers speedy actions that they are going to take.

You think that a company would own up to its mistakes, especially an automobile company.
Good luck on that one. When you show them the story, they will just give you like a shock look and say,"wow, this is very interesting. thank you for showing this to me." and not do anything about it. they will just give you the same run around and say that the Mitsu. engineers are working on the problem. Also if he was smart, he will say, "the recall is about the trucks, not the cars." :wink: I have a feeling the MR will come a little later than expected. :(

EvoKach
06-11-2004, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the votes of confidence guys. In my mind, everything is worth trying. Also, most of you don't know me and I'm not a kid. Im 28 and a business professional. I believe that walking in to a scheduled meeting with the owner of the dealer, presenting my facts (service records, phone records,etc.) and having some information about the current situation with the corporation for whom he sells cars for will get some action taken. Do I expect him to walk out into the garage and yell "OK...OK....OK......fix his car"...No.....but I would like the owner of the dealer to personally call Mitsubishi Engineering and ask what is going on and call me back. The answers that you gave above reflect that of what I'm getting from the service department right now. "Our hands are tied" "There is no fix yet" "They don't know what's wrong" These are all real comforting to get after I spent $30k OTD on a car 7 months ago. I would like to know what hell is wrong. Would you like to have your EVO stutter in 5th gear at 70 mph at 3K? Would you like to drive around everyday with your SES on? No, its annoying and they need to do something about it.

I have tried every set-up on my car from stock to both the intake and BOV and it doesn't make a difference so don't be like the dealer and point a finger at my mods because I have ruled that out through testing. It happens at the same point with every set-up.

nebolic
06-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Hey Evokach,

which dealer are you going to. Cause I heard one of our Sac guys have the same P0300 code, but supposedly the dealer has come out with a new ECU flash to fix the problem. I haven't gotten an updated news on this yet but a member told me this about 3 weeks ago, so I'm assuming there should be a fix for it now.

Nebo

Good luck dude, It's good that you're standing up to those mofos so they can take you seriously. I mean most people are just taking the attitude "wow they're not going to fix it" but if you step up and give them a bit of a hard time, it's going to at least get the ball moving to get a fix. Good job.

EvoKach
06-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks Nebo. I won't mention dealers but we both got our cars from the same place so you know who I'm working with. The other member with the same problem is at the same dealer. So far they have said it could be one of the following:

1) ECU needs to be re-flashed by Mitsu
2) It's the tranny and something with the 5th gear syncro
3) Fuel Injectors

I really just want my car to run normal. I got my P0300 at 74 miles and I now have 14325 on the car.

toasty
06-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Knowing all this crap is happening, I am thinking really hard about getting me an EVO. I love to own an EVO, but with the P0300 code happening, I dont know if it is worth it to own a new $30K car and have problems out of the door.
I hate have stupid things like that happen to me and in fact happen to anyone who own a new car worth that much to have to go through that much trouble.
Now, is it worth it to get the EVO 03' version or the RS 04' version and or even the 04' regular EVO with more bells and whistles?

Just wondering.
:crazyeyes:

BluEvo
06-11-2004, 11:01 AM
what's P0300?

EvoKach
06-11-2004, 11:07 AM
I honestly love my car. The PO300 is a annoying little thing that I'm dealing with but I really cant' think of any other reason I don't like the car. For $30K....you get a lot of goodies.

EvoKach
06-11-2004, 11:07 AM
PO300 = Engine Misfire

warpspeed
06-11-2004, 11:10 AM
I have heard that also. Mitsu. have a new software but if you already have a reflash (Works,DynoFlash,Xflash) it will get rid of that. Meaning, those performance maps will be gone. I heard also that some owners who had their Ecu flash(not by Mitsu.), they never/or not yet, have gotten the P0300 code. Like I always say, you line up five Evos and you may think they are all the same........guess what........no way. From past thread on other sites, it seems Mitsu. already knew about the code P0300 but to there eyes, it wasn't that big of a thing, and since they were/still are in deep financial debt, they probably figured lets bring it out the car anyway and fix it later. Bastards! Mitsu.

JanSolo
06-11-2004, 01:33 PM
I've seen people with and without aftermarket flashes get the PO300 code. Now, where is the damn fix from Mitsu? I read that it was supposed to be because of people using racing fuel, but this has happened to brand new, stock Evos that have not seen an ounce of super high octane fuel.