PDA

View Full Version : Fuel level gauge reading is not correct!

ace33joe
06-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi, all.

Suddenly, my fuel level gauge was reading below the top scale (About 90% full) when it is full, so I took my car to a dealer, and I got my fuel sender unit module (including the fuel level float) replaced on Wednesday.

I refueled my car yesterday, and it does not read as it used to do. :(

I asked some of my friends who have EVOs, they all say the gauge reads slightly above the top scale when it's full. (That's how my gauge was reading before)

I called the dealer service manager again, but he said it's normal if it indicates reasonably near full. (Mine is slightly below or on the top scale)

Can EVO owners please answer this poll so that I can figure out whether mine is normal or not?

Thanks!

warpspeed
06-11-2004, 11:15 AM
I sounds normal to me. When I first filled up my Evo, it was on the "F" line but after awhile, it would swing past the "F". I try and post a pic. of my fuel meter when I get a chance. I think after a while, the meter "losens" up the spring inside and that is why it swings pass "F"

ace33joe
06-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks for your reply, but do you think the fuel level sensor requires break-in?

I actually measured the resistance value of the fuel level sensor unit (main and sub), and I got quite strange value. The main unit was within full and empty range, but the sub one was totally out of range. I called the service manager again asked what were the values they got, but it seems I pissed him off for bothering again. He promised me to get back, but I doubt he would call me back.

Anyhow, I guess I will keep driving for a while whether the sensor breaks-in and get better. If not, I have to go back to the dealer and keep bothering them until they fix it.

TylerO@WORKS
06-11-2004, 03:17 PM
I have never really trusted fuel gauges.

Better is to use the trip meter in combination with the fuel gauge.

It's also good to stay above 1/4 tank to help protect your fuel system.

warpspeed
06-11-2004, 04:04 PM
It's also good to stay above 1/4 tank to help protect your fuel system.
I heard about something like that also. You should not run your force induction car below 1/4 of a tank. they say it might lean out and the fuel pickup might suck up any dirt in the tank, not good. I usually fill up when I hit 1/2 tank. Never know where I might be going. :)

MitsuMan
06-11-2004, 05:02 PM
really it goes for all cars it has nothing to do with lean rich condition but more about not killing your fuel pump. pump is emursed in fuel to keep it cool so it won't overheat and fail running low on gas all the time dramatically shortens the pumps life my car runs out of gas right when it is 1\2 way in the letter E then its time to run the 100% 100 octane Yea baby

kenshin
06-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi, all.

Suddenly, my fuel level gauge was reading below the top scale (About 90% full) when it is full, so I took my car to a dealer, and I got my fuel sender unit module (including the fuel level float) replaced on Wednesday.

I refueled my car yesterday, and it does not read as it used to do. :(

I asked some of my friends who have EVOs, they all say the gauge reads slightly above the top scale when it's full. (That's how my gauge was reading before)

I called the dealer service manager again, but he said it's normal if it indicates reasonably near full. (Mine is slightly below or on the top scale)

Can EVO owners please answer this poll so that I can figure out whether mine is normal or not?

Thanks!

Same here... my fuel gauge used to read above Full when tank is full... but now, it's always below... around 85% to Full.

ace33joe
06-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Same here... my fuel gauge used to read above Full when tank is full... but now, it's always below... around 85% to Full.

I recommend you to go to Mitsu dealer to get it fixed.
I need to get it fixed again, it indicates wrong still. :(

Please let us know how they fixed it when it's fixed.

ytsejam
06-25-2004, 04:07 PM
hmmm i seems to have the same issue too.

when i fully filled my tank, the need in the middle of the first and second stripe from the top.

however i think my fuel economy is still the same.

please keep us updated, i might need to get mine checked too.

BluEvo
06-25-2004, 04:44 PM
same here, i just started noticing this past week. i filled up twice and the fuel gauge is not reaching the top fuel line. :? but i don't notice a difference in fuel economy. i fill up around the same time i usually do.

ace33joe
06-25-2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah, usually, it doesn't affect the drivability at all, it just reads wrong. It seems it's a quite common problem, I hope Mitsubishi will find out the exact problem, and redesign some parts if any is defective.

Also it seems replacing fuel sendor unit does not correct the problem. Mine started to read wrong again. :(

brwnrice
06-25-2004, 06:09 PM
for the past week i have been experiencing the same problem. wtf!

warpspeed
11-12-2004, 09:19 PM
I just noticed this on my car too. I have over 12,000 miles and it just started doing it. If the replacement part does the same thing, I might not even bother getting it replaced.