PDA

View Full Version : Redline vs Mobil1 10W30 engine oil

ace33joe
06-15-2004, 10:14 AM
After trying two more brands of oil in my EVO after break-in, I put Mobil1 again last weekends.

Before I was using Redline 10W30, and I could tell the Redline is thicker when hot, even it has the same 10W30 viscosity. I heard those numbers are measured at specific temperatures, and they don't tell you about the oil at other temps, and I guess it's true.

I had valve or some other noise when I start up at low temp before, but once it's started, actually engine used to be quieter than now.

But I could feel a little bit sluggish at less than 3k rpm, now it seems turbo spools faster. It's also kind of strange that the car really slows down when BPV opens, which was not that dramatic before. Is this because Redline was thicker and kept the turbine spinning?

Anyhow, I guess Mobil1 is holding up well, since I know many many EVOs have Mobil1 and they are hard-driven without causing problems. :)

It's also cheaper than Redline or Motul I have tried. I wonder whether people are using thicker oil on a track. I think I saw someone was complaining about high oil temperature.

I will stick to owner's manual :read: , but Italian EVO club was recommending thicker oils according to this site.

http://www.lancerevoclub.com/evoclub-liquidi-e.htm

Has anyone else tried different engine oil other than Mobil1? I just want to hear some impressions on different oils.

moogle
06-15-2004, 11:51 AM
royal purple 15w-50.
From butt dyno you could feel it more smooth on top end. You want it thickerrr.

ace33joe
06-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Yeah, thicker oils feel smoother at high rpm, but it's kind of sluggish at low end rpm. :)

GReddy_917
06-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Redline 10w-30

Engine seems to run a tad quieter than with the Mobil 1...other than that, no noticeable diffrence.

ace33joe
06-15-2004, 12:45 PM
It seems I am not the only one who think Redline makes the engine a little bit quieter. Especially when idling, right? :)

warpspeed
06-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Ya, Redline is a good oil. But since I don't really "dog" the car, the price doesn't make me to change. Besides I can get Mobil 1 10w-30w for $3.68 a quart.

TylerO@WORKS
06-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Redline is great oil.

The extra protection it gives your motor and turbo is well worth the few dollars more you spend IMO.

As far as the car feeling faster or slower redline vs. mobile1... I wouldn't expect much of anything on the dyno, much less on the butt dyno. It's all in your head IMO.

Note I said faster not smoother. In my experiences Redline gives you a smoother more "rev happy" motor.

Both oils are great. Redline is the better oil though.

:)

ace33joe
06-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Thanks for your opinion, Tyler.

When I was talking to Pete and you at WORKS last year, actually your EVO was about to get Redline oil, I guess. (I saw a box of Redline oil)

Did you notice any oil temperature change when you were running Redline? Some of my friends keep saying Redline makes oil temp higher, which I think not-true.

Anyhow, if WORKS says Redline is better, I believe it's better. :)
Maybe I will switch back to Redline in 4 month. :)

Oh, by the way, I guess you also put MT-90 in the tranny, right?
How do you like them? Didn't it make shift a little bit notchy? Redline told me if I feel notchy shift with MT-90, I can use mix of MTL and MT-90 to make about 75W85 oil.

EvoVIII
06-15-2004, 06:30 PM
if you want better protection for your engine, since our engine is so damn hot and turbocharged, I recommand those of you always red line your cars to use 0-40 from Mobil 1 in winter, or Castrol 10-50 for summer since I don't think Mobil1 have 10-50 here, Redline motor oil isn't really much of a different except higher price, maybe you will feel ur car Rev faster or smoother but it doesn't even equal to 1 or 2hp gain , besides the protection from 10-30 isn't enough neither

evo_dadi
06-15-2004, 06:39 PM
i use mobil 1 15/50 on my car and i get them for a good price but i have yet to try redline.

EvoVIII
06-15-2004, 06:45 PM
is 15 a little too much when u just start ur car up?

evo_dadi
06-15-2004, 06:47 PM
nope it just starts fine also my cars in the garage at night so it doesnt relly get cold but more like just warm enough for it :)

JanSolo
06-15-2004, 11:37 PM
I'm running Redline 10w30 and cannot tell the difference between running the Mobil 1.

moogle
06-16-2004, 12:04 AM
redline is allright;they make good synchro fluids... I'd say go with motul or royal purple.

ace33joe
06-16-2004, 12:05 AM
When I was using Motul 300V 15W50, engine made some noise when starting up at cold temperature, but less than one or two seconds.

In summer, it was just fine, and thicker oils are very smooth at high rpm. But as temperature drops, I just changed to 10W30 for better start-up.

ob4
06-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Something interesting about motor oil.

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html

halz
06-30-2004, 04:01 PM
If you're planning anything mildly serious with the car, an oil cooler is a must.. er.. isn't an oil cooler stock on the Evo?

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ can provide you with a free oil test kit; when you're doing your oil change, just fill up the test kit and send it back to them. For $20, they'll give you a very through analaylis of how the oil is doing in your engine.. After getting the results, I am sure you will find that changing synthetic oil every 3000 miles is WAY too frequent.

I'd be especially curious to see how the mineral deposits differ between the oil used during the 'break-in' (first few hundred miles) and 'post-broken-in' (5000+ miles)

webguy330i
06-30-2004, 04:08 PM
"Mobil 1 uses no viscosity improvers in their 5W-30, and I assume the new 10W-30. "

I roll M1 5W30 myself, just for improved cold and uber hot viscosity. The wider range is better for highly variable temps, which IMO our cars experience just based on sitting still (cold; ~75-80 F) and running hard (~260F ?). But I see what he means about the additives.