PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

DRFTR8
06-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Sup people, i just finally got my EVO last night...and been searching all day for a forum here in the bay area.... i have so many questions on whats the best way to get power from this car but i dont want to go over my budget. also when do you guys meet up here in the bay...im in Union City close to Fremont...anyway hope to see you guys soon

nebolic
06-15-2004, 04:21 PM
http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1178

check that thread.

The next big norcal meet is this Saturday June 19th. Hope you can make it and meet the rest of the members.

Nebo

JanSolo
06-15-2004, 04:22 PM
You have a variety of tuners to choose from, upgrade paths, etc. Best thing to do is check out all the different Evo sites, come to one of the meets and talk to people who have various mods and see which ones fit what you want.

We're having our monthly meet this Saturday at Motorsport Dynamics in Sacramento. You can check out the thread here (http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1178).

Anyhow, welcome to the site. It's always good to see even more new members joining up!

warpspeed
06-15-2004, 04:31 PM
As for getting the performance on this car. Here is a word of advice. Don't go overboard. Meaning, do the mods that will fit your budget. I know there are credit cards, man stay away from that. It is so easy to use the plastic(my experience). Enjoy the Evo without thinking "how am I going to pay for this part?"

vtluu
06-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Read my sig. :lol:

Dogtown
06-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Read my sig. :lol:

I was waiting for that lol.

Seriously though welcome. And I'll be honest the thing is pretty nasty out of the box so don't rush yourself too much hehe.

BluEvo
06-16-2004, 12:11 AM
Welcome to the club! Enjoy the ride!

GokuSSJ4
06-16-2004, 12:55 AM
welcome aboard !!

xchoirboy
06-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Welcome to the club! Enjoy the ride!

ditto :D

DRFTR8
06-16-2004, 07:52 AM
thanx guys...hey the first mod im going to install is the intake from INJEN...im going to pick it up today from AutoRnD..what do you guys think?

JanSolo
06-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Loss of low end torque with big intakes like that. But, at least you'll get to hear the air recirculating from the DV.

DRFTR8
06-16-2004, 09:06 AM
so your telling me that if i installed this intake i will lose low-end power?

wilson1
06-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Welcome!

thomas
06-16-2004, 09:11 AM
so your telling me that if i installed this intake i will lose low-end power?

answer is yes.

welcome to the boards. hope you enjoy the site and ask all the questions you want. theres plenty of people on here that are helpful and willing. try and make it to the meet at motorsports dynamics up in sac, should be fun.

ez76
06-16-2004, 09:22 AM
The consensus on intakes for the Evo is that you should really get your car tuned (e.g. reflashed) if you install one, because they cause the MAF sensor to read a lower voltage for the same airflow (i.e. your car is more prone to running lean).

There is also some question as to whether intakes help with the stock turbo at all (tough to measure as the amount of hp they theoretically contribute could easily be mixed in with the usual day-to-day variance in engine performance).

For the money, I'd get a ECU reflash first. In our neighborhood, you should check out reflashes from WORKS (P1 - $499) and Vishnu (Cannonball - $199), and at least 20hp proven improvement.

Welcome!

MitsuMan
06-16-2004, 10:17 AM
make shure you do your home work and then even take a drive in a particularly modded car to compare the sky's the limit with theses cars go get a loan lol

BluEvo
06-16-2004, 11:06 AM
i'll drop my .02

i would recommend a catback exhaust. it will make a difference that you can feel. check out our gallery section (on the tested exhausts in db) as there are many to choose from. and to add to the air intake question. the stock air-ram style box that we have serves a great purpose. it stays cool. keeps the engine heat away. IMO get a drop in filter. cheaper and just as effective. but to each his own on intakes. everone has a different perspecitve on what it does. :wink:

DRFTR8
06-16-2004, 11:25 AM
well heres what i had in mind...get the intake installed, then install the 3"DP then get the car reflashed.. i want to keep the stock exhaust and see what happens to the HP...it shouldnt be bad at all..if so then ill get the cat-back

toasty
06-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Welcome.

I am so jealous of you getting an EVO before me. Oh well,...
Planning to get my soon when I get half the payment saved up.
Less payment the better for me, I dont know about you guys.

I'm thinking about getting th 04 version, what are the advantages versus the 03 version?

Does the 04 version still have the PO300 trouble code or not,.....?
I need to read up on it. :read:

ez76
06-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Consider replacing your cat-back before your downpipe.

The theory tells us that an ideal exhaust is a gradual horn shape, i.e. it flares, not tapers, from the turbo back.

Check this out when you have a minute ("So what exactly constitutes a properly-designed turbo exhaust system?"):
http://vishnutuning.com/news_pvnrt.htm

Basically you want an exhaust gradually to get less (not more) restrictive downstream of the turbo.

Hope this helps!

BluEvo
06-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Consider replacing your cat-back before your downpipe.
The theory tells us that an ideal exhaust is a gradual horn shape, i.e. it flares, not tapers, from the turbo back.
Basically you want an exhaust gradually to get less (not more) restrictive downstream of the turbo.
Hope this helps!
On the dot. With a larger dp, you will be tyring to push more air out the already restrictive stock exhaust. Not trying to override your decision on what path to take, just providing extra info to help out. :wink:
Another alternative to the catback would be axle back exhaust or muffler delete (loud).

click > Buschur (http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?18X376545) has both.
or
click > WORKS (http://worksrally.com/) has the muffler delete.

JanSolo
06-16-2004, 03:46 PM
And Pruven Performance also has an axle back as well.

http://www.pruvenperformance.com/evoexhaust.html

GReddy_917
06-16-2004, 10:32 PM
well heres what i had in mind...get the intake installed, then install the 3"DP then get the car reflashed.. i want to keep the stock exhaust and see what happens to the HP...it shouldnt be bad at all..if so then ill get the cat-back

Welcome!! :mrgreen:

If you are wanting HP then the recipie is : Exhaust (TB) and a Reflash...this will get you between 30-40 HP. I shit you not, ask anyone.

The intake no matter how good it is wont get you more than 10 peak HP and you will lose torque. Also, the fact that it comes with the upper intercooler piping means very little, since the stock upper piping is actually very efficient, not to mention so is the stock intake setup.

Im not trying to rain on your parade...I think the Injen is a beautiful intake system...

I am just letting you know ahead of time that you wont get much more from an intake...other than the sucking air noise and BOV dump...which may be well worth it to you.

Again, it comes to personal prefrence...after all, its your Evo.

DRFTR8
06-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Welcome.

I am so jealous of you getting an EVO before me. Oh well,...
Planning to get my soon when I get half the payment saved up.
Less payment the better for me, I dont know about you guys.

I'm thinking about getting th 04 version, what are the advantages versus the 03 version?

Does the 04 version still have the PO300 trouble code or not,.....?
I need to read up on it. :read:

Hey toasty..i had a choice to get the 03 or 04 the difference was that the 04 had sun,radio and leather package...and the payments would have been 613.00 but i figured that both cars were the same so i got the 03 blue instead of white and my payments was lower...but its your choice...but if you can get the 03 go for it cuz they will give it at a lower price, and you have the same car

DRFTR8
06-17-2004, 08:58 AM

Welcome!! :mrgreen:

If you are wanting HP then the recipie is : Exhaust (TB) and a Reflash...this will get you between 30-40 HP. I shit you not, ask anyone.

The intake no matter how good it is wont get you more than 10 peak HP and you will lose torque. Also, the fact that it comes with the upper intercooler piping means very little, since the stock upper piping is actually very efficient, not to mention so is the stock intake setup.

Im not trying to rain on your parade...I think the Injen is a beautiful intake system...

I am just letting you know ahead of time that you wont get much more from an intake...other than the sucking air noise and BOV dump...which may be well worth it to you.

Again, it comes to personal prefrence...after all, its your Evo.

you got the works P2 flash right?...how much did you get that for?... cuz i was quoted 699.00 for that flash... with the intake i already bought it yesterday afternoon, and installed. for me when i ran the car before i installed the intake i felt the power at the low-end but after the intake i felt it much more..i know you guys know more than me cuz you gus had your car longer but i sh*t you not i can feel the difference..but maybe thats me..anyways i want to flash but it will be for awhile if its 6+ just to do it... or if u can point me to someone who can do it for cheap..

nebolic
06-17-2004, 09:11 AM
i think if you come out to the NorcalEvo Meet this saturday, on june 19th, WORKS usually gives a discount on the Flashes at the meets.

Nebo

DRFTR8
06-17-2004, 09:16 AM
i think if you come out to the NorcalEvo Meet this saturday, on june 19th, WORKS usually gives a discount on the Flashes at the meets.

Nebo

what type of payments do they take?..

nebolic
06-17-2004, 09:18 AM
cash and credit for sure, and possibly checks.

:)

Nebo

DRFTR8
06-17-2004, 09:59 AM
ok now a question with BOV..what works best with the car...HKS SSQ, Blitz or GREDDY... i want something that wont mess the car up like stalling

EvoVIII
06-17-2004, 10:09 AM
every BOV that VTA including HKS SSQ, Blitz or GREDDY will get u to stall or close to stalling, get something that goes back to the intake with better quality and higher PSI holding would be the best

DRFTR8
06-17-2004, 10:17 AM
there is a greddy type-s and a turbosmart type h-34 that vents back into the car but which one is louder and better

evo_dadi
06-17-2004, 12:29 PM
man wth is your avatar :shock: :shock:

go gfb man ;)

GReddy_917
06-17-2004, 12:34 PM
you got the works P2 flash right?...how much did you get that for?... cuz i was quoted 699.00 for that flash... with the intake i already bought it yesterday afternoon, and installed. for me when i ran the car before i installed the intake i felt the power at the low-end but after the intake i felt it much more..i know you guys know more than me cuz you gus had your car longer but i sh*t you not i can feel the difference..but maybe thats me..anyways i want to flash but it will be for awhile if its 6+ just to do it... or if u can point me to someone who can do it for cheap..

I paid about $580 out the door for the P2...it was during one of our meets and there was a sale going on at the time.

You should dyno your car at ATP and post the results. If you only have intake...then I am interested to see what this new Injen can do, not only that but you will be able to see in other ways (powercurve,torque,a/f) if its really helping you out.

ok now a question with BOV..what works best with the car...HKS SSQ, Blitz or GREDDY... i want something that wont mess the car up like stalling

Trust me on this.....Forget GReddy,HKS,Blitz,TXS,Etc...all their BOV's will cause you idle probs,stalling or compressor surge.

If you want a BOV then get the right one the first time.

http://www.worksrally.com/images/products/125201.jpg

The GFB's are available at Gruppe-S (Fremont) and WORKS Rally (SF).

OH and my #1 piece of advice to you is: Come to the meet and check out everyone's setup before you start modding.

BluEvo
06-17-2004, 01:45 PM
+1 more on the GFB from me. i'll vouch for that.
You mentioned the other brands and how not to get that stalling and boggin issues. well they all give those issue is you vent to atmosphere with them. You will either get lucky with it not giving you problems (very rare) or you will have to do some extensive research on what other things that you have to get for them not to bog or have idle issues. But hey, some guys got their other brand bov's to work fine.
The plus on the GFB is that it is fully adjustable. You can vent to atmosphere and recirculate. Or you can choose 50/50 or 60/40..etc. This helps tune it to your cars needs. :)

DRFTR8
06-17-2004, 02:36 PM
man wth is your avatar :shock: :shock:

go gfb man ;)

oh its what i call "over boosting can knock you out"

evo_dadi
06-17-2004, 05:21 PM
oh ok lol ive had times like that but not enough to drop me down :buds: :peace:

Black_EVO
06-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Welcome.

One other note on GFB BV is that some people have had problems with it working with an aftermarket intake. On some cars it has worked just fine so it it's kind of a coin toss. It works perfect every time with stock intake, from what I've heard and seen.

Note... I'm still stock.
Getting XS RFL Ti exhaust though :wink:

DRFTR8
06-17-2004, 09:08 PM
hey guys i was just checking out ATP's BOV with the non-stall feature..the guy told me that you wont have any stalls with that BOV..and its for 190.00 per the person i talked to.

GReddy_917
06-17-2004, 10:05 PM
hey guys i was just checking out ATP's BOV with the non-stall feature..the guy told me that you wont have any stalls with that BOV..and its for 190.00 per the person i talked to.

I saw it and it looks promising. I dont think anyone has it on their Evo yet...except maybe Paul @ ATP. Im not sure about the mechanism it uses to prevent stalling while still VTA....but I can vouch for the guys...especially Paul and George @ ATP...they know their sh!t really well.

DRFTR8
06-17-2004, 11:40 PM
They dont look bad..so i might pick one up and see how it goes...

DRFTR8
06-20-2004, 11:55 AM
another question...i have been reading about the exhaust on the forum and i noticed that some people were talking about "exhaust flap"...now what is it and what does it do....what type of affect does it have on the car after taking it off...and where is it on the muffler...

vtluu
06-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Jamie (EvolvedDSM) had a post about it on another forum but the link seems to 404 now. :( Basically there's a spring-loaded flap in the stock muffler that only opens up under sufficient pressure from exhaust gases. When closed it forces exhaust gases through more of the muffler's inner chambers. Common belief is that it's there to keep exhaust noise level down at lower revs, but of course it makes the muffler much more restrictive. Taking it out is the ultimate "stealth" exhaust mod but is a huge PITA (as Jamie and myself can both attest).

DRFTR8
06-20-2004, 04:27 PM
so if get took that off the car will be less restrictive..and louder?

vtluu
06-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Yes... though if you check out the results and recordings we made of such a system (http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=album66&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php), it was one of the quietest systems we measured--90dB vs. 85dB for stock--and much of the increase in sound can probably be attributed to the cat-delete that was also present.

I don't really know how much power the mod gives; probably not more than a handful of hp. I have the "impression" that the turbo spools a bit faster but it could just be my imagination.

DRFTR8
06-20-2004, 05:00 PM
ok thanx for the info...going to try that out..

vtluu
06-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Let me warn you again, it took me something like four sessions (1-2 hours each) to get that stupid flap out, and Jamie almost as long as that (and he has better tools). I bought a stock muffler off someone for $75 so I could still drive my car around while working on it, but after all the time and trouble it took, I should have just bought an axle-back exhaust (or saved my money for a full cat-back).

Just wanted to let you know what you were getting yourself into. Good luck! :)

DRFTR8
06-20-2004, 05:39 PM
how far in is that flap?...and what tool did you use to get it out?

RonV
06-20-2004, 06:24 PM
how far in is that flap?...and what tool did you use to get it out?Dude, don't even bother. It's a waste of time.

Ron

vtluu
06-20-2004, 06:29 PM
It's about 6" in; I drilled a hole in the flap, then used wrenches, a tire iron, and whatever else I could find to twist the flap back and forth and around until finally came off. I did it in four sessions because after an hour or so of exertion I'd give up in disgust, and then pick it up again the next day.

After it broke off, I took it out with a magnetic pickup tool. But the spring (which is not ferromagnetic) fell into one of the inner chambers and rattled around in there until I got it out after a couple hours of shaking the muffler around (damn that thing is heavy).

So yeah, what Ron said. :lol:

SouthernCrane
06-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Sup people, i just finally got my EVO last night...and been searching all day for a forum here in the bay area.... i have so many questions on whats the best way to get power from this car but i dont want to go over my budget. also when do you guys meet up here in the bay...im in Union City close to Fremont...anyway hope to see you guys soon

Welcome to the club man. 8) Kind of late, but I was gone all week.

DRFTR8
06-20-2004, 09:34 PM
so when can we have a meet so i can meet you fellas..maybe have a beer or something...on thursdays TGI Fridays is happening ...we can do that if you fellas want or D&B is cool too...or maybe a little kart racing in fremont

EvoVIII
06-20-2004, 09:38 PM
lets TGI it

DRFTR8
06-20-2004, 10:13 PM
OK TGI sounds good...whos down to go..

SouthernCrane
06-21-2004, 07:15 AM
OK TGI sounds good...whos down to go..

can't make it this week.....how about on a monday night meet?

DRFTR8
06-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Monday is cool too...but who else wants to go?

SouthernCrane
06-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Monday is cool too...but who else wants to go?
Check here http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182 every once in awhile for the next monday meet.

DRFTR8
06-21-2004, 07:51 AM
ill check it out..

GReddy_917
06-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Dude, don't even bother. It's a waste of time.

Ron

Exactly what I was going to post. Please dont be one of those people that starts ripping random parts off their Evo just because someone somewhere mentioned you could get +2 HP :tisk:

vtluu
06-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Please dont be one of those people that starts ripping random parts off their Evo just because someone somewhere mentioned you could get +2 HP :tisk:
Ripping random parts off, true, but also adding random parts on. Surely you've never done the latter. ;)

I think the point in this particular case is that although it seems like a "free" way to get a bit more power, it ultimately turns out to be more trouble than it's worth.

BluEvo
06-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Please dont be one of those people that starts ripping random parts off their Evo just because someone somewhere mentioned you could get +2 HP :tisk:
Ripping random parts off, true, but also adding random parts on. Surely you've never done the latter. ;)

I think the point in this particular case is that although it seems like a "free" way to get a bit more power, it ultimately turns out to be more trouble than it's worth. :werd:

DRFTR8
06-21-2004, 02:29 PM

I think the point in this particular case is that although it seems like a "free" way to get a bit more power, it ultimately turns out to be more trouble than it's worth.

it was just a question cuz like i said i just was other peeps talking about it...also i have seen black head lights...has anyone done the "surgery" on their car and have it look stock ?, if so can anyone help me on doing that to mine...700.00 for a MR headlight is a little to rich for my blood even though it looks tight...but my car is not a MR edition so i dont need to act like one..

JanSolo
06-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Noel (SolarXclipse) from SoCalEvo.net swaps them for 50$ per set of lights. I have the front lights that are "MR style" and they look very good - even moreso considering the price.

DRFTR8
06-21-2004, 02:49 PM
what do you mean swap...he will give ones that are done and ill send him mine + 50 right?

SouthernCrane
06-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Noel (SolarXclipse) from SoCalEvo.net swaps them for 50$ per set of lights. I have the front lights that are "MR style" and they look very good - even moreso considering the price.

Yeah, Jan's front lights look really good blacked out. :sexy: A lot of effect for very little dough! When you getting the taillights done Jan?

DRFTR8
06-21-2004, 03:55 PM
so how can i contact him so i can send him 50 and exchange the lights....ok does he send the lights then ill send him mine?..

JanSolo
06-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Doing the taillights next time I go to a SoCalEvo meet.

DRFTR8, I think you should hop on down to SoCalEvo, make an account and then send a PM to SolarXclipse there.

DRFTR8
06-22-2004, 08:30 AM
heres another newbie question...SPRINGS... what are good srpings to put on the car with out it bottoming out..or feeling that i might scrape....i see that the Tiens (S,H) are not bad in price, are they good and will it affect the cars handling in anyway..or should i just stick to what i have....

evo_dadi
06-22-2004, 12:15 PM
imo stick with the stocker for now since the separate springs will not really work with another shock.

GReddy_917
06-22-2004, 12:29 PM
imo stick with the stocker for now since the separate springs will not really work with another shock.

if you're gonna do suspension....save up and buy true coil-overs. The Tein springs are only a little bit stiffer than stock (i have them)...they make the car's stance look sexy...but not too low. They are worth the $150 bucks or so to me...but Im still gonna swap them later for some ZEALs or Tein type flex w/edfc.

DRFTR8
06-22-2004, 01:02 PM

the stock shock dont work with the Tiens?

brwnrice
06-22-2004, 01:03 PM
sorry to go off topic but if you want tein s-tech springs i have one already mounted to the stock strut/shocks. we could trade plus some cash. :bigglasses:

BluEvo
06-22-2004, 01:22 PM
heres another newbie question...SPRINGS... what are good srpings to put on the car with out it bottoming out..or feeling that i might scrape....i see that the Tiens (S,H) are not bad in price, are they good and will it affect the cars handling in anyway..or should i just stick to what i have.... if we are just talking about springs, then the Tein S (sits lower) or H (sits a bit hgher than S) are fine for the price. and like greddy_917 says it looks sexy. if you're looking for an even drop at all 4's (which will be slightly lower, but keeping the same slightly higher gap in front than rear) will be the Eibachs.
now if your going for killer looks and handling like a coaster on rails......get some coilovers! :o

DRFTR8
06-22-2004, 02:47 PM
sorry to go off topic but if you want tein s-tech springs i have one already mounted to the stock strut/shocks. we could trade plus some cash. :bigglasses:

how much?...im interested....

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 07:28 AM

if you're gonna do suspension....save up and buy true coil-overs. The Tein springs are only a little bit stiffer than stock (i have them)...they make the car's stance look sexy...but not too low. They are worth the $150 bucks or so to me...but Im still gonna swap them later for some ZEALs or Tein type flex w/edfc.

Does the back sit low when you have passengers...and do you have issues of it scraping..im going to pick up Brwnrice's springs today, but i wanna make sure that im not going to need spring boosters to keep the back from dropping when i have people or things in the back...

BluEvo
06-23-2004, 08:56 AM
as with any car, the rear is always gonna sit lower if you have peeps sitting back there, no matter if your on stock or aftermarket an springs/suspension.

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 09:00 AM
ok well thats fine..i just want to make sure that it wont bottom out and the shocks can handle it... you know these roads around the bay specially SF...

BluEvo
06-23-2004, 09:11 AM
ok well thats fine..i just want to make sure that it wont bottom out and the shocks can handle it... you know these roads around the bay specially SF...
i hear yah! it's like we are on a bumpy dirt road made out of pavement. :?

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 10:00 AM
great...im doing the springs then...but i will support the rear just incase...dont want to pay in the end..i got some spring booster from europe that they place in swedish cars like saab,voxhaul etc...not like the ones you buy at pep boys...these clamp onto your springs and wont fall off..

brwnrice
06-23-2004, 10:22 AM
to be honest i have scraped a couple of times on the front end because of steep driveways, etc. as with any other lowered cars. the suspension have not bottomed out on me yet even with the spirited driving that i have growned accustomed to. bought the car to calaveras twice with the stech setup and it handled like slightly better than stock ( less body roll).

GReddy_917
06-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Does the back sit low when you have passengers...and do you have issues of it scraping..im going to pick up Brwnrice's springs today, but i wanna make sure that im not going to need spring boosters to keep the back from dropping when i have people or things in the back...

Dont bother with the spring boosters...these springs only lower the rear less than 1 inch. In my opinion putting boosters on them would be superflewus.

brwnrice
06-23-2004, 01:08 PM
superflewus.
:read: :lol: [/quote]

BluEvo
06-23-2004, 01:30 PM
superflewus.
:read: :lol:
:computer: *wtf! no definitions found?!*
:lol:
damn P, you got us with that one!

JanSolo
06-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Superfluous.

adj.: Being beyond what is required or sufficient.

:rockon:

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 01:53 PM
LOL...its all good the car is at the shop getting the spring setup put in...should be done by 430

SouthernCrane
06-23-2004, 02:16 PM
LOL...its all good the car is at the shop getting the spring setup put in...should be done by 430

Let us know how you like them.

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 02:55 PM

Let us know how you like them.

no doubt...i like how brwnrice's ride sits...looks nice

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 06:33 PM
ok got the springs installed now i only have one word......NICE!!! looks low but nice, couldnt tell the difference with the ride...but i can say i can just see the difference...

brwnrice
06-23-2004, 07:14 PM
did you get the stock camber settings?

GReddy_917
06-23-2004, 07:39 PM
ok got the springs installed now i only have one word......NICE!!! looks low but nice, couldnt tell the difference with the ride...but i can say i can just see the difference...

Get and alignment. Do it....do it.....do it.

GReddy_917
06-23-2004, 07:40 PM
superflewus.
:read: :lol:
:computer: *wtf! no definitions found?!*
:lol:
damn P, you got us with that one!

Sorry guys...I used to use that as my Screen name...so I spell it like that on purpose now...lol

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 08:31 PM
did you get the stock camber settings?

yeah he gave them to me...all to specs

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 08:33 PM

Get and alignment. Do it....do it.....do it.

everything has been done specially the alignment...but why does the driver tire look worn than everything else

vtluu
06-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Chances are you make more right turns than left, and take them faster. This puts the most loading on your FL tire. What are your front camber and toe settings?

Also make sure to inflate to an appropriate pressure for your driving style. I usually keep my tires near "autocross pressures" (43 in front, 38 in back on my Falkens). I ran the Yokos at 40/37, but in any case I'd strongly recommend pressures significantly higher than the recommend amounts if you like to corner hard--this will reduce tire sidewall rollover and shoulder wear.

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Chances are you make more right turns than left, and take them faster. This puts the most loading on your FL tire. What are your front camber and toe settings?

left camber -0.4 right camber -0.5
toe 0.0 toe 0.0

now he said that there is now way for the front to be adjusted..is that true?

vtluu
06-23-2004, 10:02 PM
The Evo comes with an eccentric camber bolt stock, which has a "-1" and "-2" setting. I recommend you max out your negative camber (put the eccentric camber bolt in the "-2" setting); on mine this gave about -1.6 degrees each side. Jamie (evolved_dsm) elsewhere posted an excerpt from the service manual showing how to adjust the bolt... though you'll want an alignment shop to do this since you probably have no way of measuring the camber yourself.

I have a tiny bit of toe-out on mine as well and it shows (the inside of my tires wear faster), nice for autocross but probably not the best for a street setup.

More negative camber should improve grip and reduce shoulder wear during hard cornering. Your tires will still wear unevenly, so make sure you regularly check the tread depth and rotate as needed. In your case I might even recommend non-directional tires so you can rotate left-right and even out the wear, but most high-performance tires are directional (the Falken Azenis Sport being one example, but it's not the best tire for the street since it has poor wet traction).

In case you're wondering, the main disadvantage to higher tire pressures is because the higher pressure makes the tires stiffer, you'll get a slightly bumpier and noisier ride. On a given surface, a given set of tires will have some pressure level that yields optimal cornering grip. This level varies depending on the surface and conditions (wet vs. dry for example) but is undoubtedly higher than the 32/29 recommended. I don't really care about the bumpier/noisier ride; if I did I would have bought a Lexus land-yacht or something like that.

GReddy_917
06-23-2004, 10:07 PM

left camber -0.4 right camber -0.5
toe 0.0 toe 0.0

now he said that there is now way for the front to be adjusted..is that true?

Did you go to AutoInnovations for the alignment?

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 10:10 PM
(evolved_dsm) elsewhere posted an excerpt from the service manual showing how to adjust the bolt...

so theres a way to adjust them..cuz he told me that he couldnt adjust them...where can i find the way to adjust them?

vtluu
06-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I recommend Auto Innovations, they do my alignment and mounting. Ask for Orlando. :thumbsup:

vtluu
06-23-2004, 10:14 PM
(evolved_dsm) elsewhere posted an excerpt from the service manual showing how to adjust the bolt...

so theres a way to adjust them..cuz he told me that he couldnt adjust them...where can i find the way to adjust them?
See this thread: http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=415

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 10:14 PM
well i just came from there and thats who did my alignment...hes the one who told me that theres no way to adjust the camber

vtluu
06-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Weird, 'cuz he's the one who adjusted my camber. Print out the diagram from the above thread (or from the service manual if you have it), and bring that to him...

DRFTR8
06-23-2004, 10:28 PM
ok ill bring my car back tomorrow...thanx for the info...late

Absinthe
06-24-2004, 12:04 PM

Also make sure to inflate to an appropriate pressure for your driving style. I usually keep my tires near "autocross pressures" (43 in front, 38 in back on my Falkens). I ran the Yokos at 40/37, but in any case I'd strongly recommend pressures significantly higher than the recommend amounts if you like to corner hard--this will reduce tire sidewall rollover and shoulder wear.

iteresting I run 28/32 cold on my azenies for the track because the feel like the grip much better. do you run yours this high for better turn it? also wouldnt you want the rear higher so that the car will rotate better?

vtluu
06-24-2004, 12:29 PM
I started with the pressures chrisw suggested and worked from there; spent a weekend at the AAS autocrosses in Atwater with a friend (and more experience autocrosser) tweaking the pressures. With those pressures the car feels fairly neutral transitionally, understeers a bit through longer turns but that's normal on concrete and with the stock suspension.

43/38 is the "hot" pressure, i.e. the pressure I try to maintain after a couple auto-x runs. Obviously I start them a bit lower than that when they're cold.