PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Crank Pulley Harmonics...

superman37r1
12-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I read this on EvoM about the harmonics of an aftermarket lightened crank pulley...Here it is,

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=210575&page=1&pp=15&highlight=crank+pulley+harmonics

whtrice
12-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Yup..Its a wicked debate. Most that are interested in this kinda product should read the pros and cons, digest and make up there own minds. I am sure it would be a warranty red flag if warranty arguments would arise.

I read this on EvoM about the harmonics of an aftermarket lightened crank pulley...Here it is,

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=210575&page=1&pp=15&highlight=crank+pulley+harmonics

superman37r1
12-07-2006, 03:21 PM
I am not trying to take away from Gruppe-S sale on the lightened 14oz crank pulleys but it does sound disturbing...It is left up to the individual to decide but is it a risk you are willing to take?...

EvolvedDSM
12-08-2006, 03:42 PM
The general consensus in the DSM world was that a solid pulley with no harmonic damper on the 4G63 is a no-no--especially on a 2G.Â* I ran a solid one for nearly 40K on my 2G.Â* I noticed excessive crankshaft end play (i.e. crankwalk) around 35K, but it wasn't affecting the car.Â* So I just kept an eye on it, but never did anything to correct it.Â* When I killed the car at 50K, everything was still running great and the block, crank, etc... went on to live in another chassis.Â* My next DSM received a "proper" underdrive pulley with harmonic damper and the solid one was relegated to become an expensive paperweight.

I'm not saying that the pulley led to my crankwalk as a number of them acquired that nasty disease even when bone stock, but there was a chance that it may have contributed to the problem and that wasn't a chance I was going to take.

lncrevoviii
12-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Well, I was about to buy one. Until, I asked some good friends of mine about this. I mean its a cheap mod, so what I wanted to ask was that if the cost of the product exceeded the damage costs, or performance exceeded the damage costs. So, I came to the conclusion that I will pass on this mod, because my engine is worth more to me than a cheap ass pulley. Those performance gains are not really necessary, unless if you have a time attack or drag car, where you change everything, trying to get every ounce of performance out of your engine and if something happens to the engine, then ohh well, back to the drawing board and new engine is on its way.

Now, the harmonic Dampned pulleys are $$$, and should give you an idea why they are expensive. Cheap+Fast= Not Reliable. Reliable+Cheap= Not Fast. Reliable+Fast= Not Cheap.

Lurk
12-10-2006, 12:17 AM
I never liked crank pullies or lightweight flywheels. They will give you problems in the future. Especially since most aftermarket crank pullies are not harmonically dampened. I think I told you this already, D boy. ;)

lncrevoviii
12-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Thats where I said, "Good Friends of Mine" also, BOOSTX2 helped me out on this issue. I was basically enlightened. :lol: Thats why I didn't make the move.

warpspeed
12-13-2006, 10:16 AM
A friend of mine has one of those lightened crank pulley on his '89 Civic.Â* I don't know if it is the way the motor was made but he had his since 25K and now the car has over 230k and is still running strong.Â* Must be those Honda motors. :D

lncrevoviii
12-13-2006, 03:12 PM
A friend of mine has one of those lightened crank pulley on his '89 Civic.Â* I don't know if it is the way the motor was made but he had his since 25K and now the car has over 230k and is still running strong.Â* Must be those Honda motors. :D

guess you missed the part about why some pulleys are good for our cars. Read Above. Its not the motor, its the pulley itself. Our motors come with a Harmonically Dampened Pulley, if you don't put the right pulley, you will eventually run into some engine troubles. I am not sure about 89 civics having harmonically dampened pulleys. But i mean its a '89 civic, i can go and drive it off the cliff and care less about what happens to it, its only about the price of Cams or exhaust for an Evo. But the Evo, or other expensive cars you wanna be careful of what you put in your engine, because its going to set you back, money wise and also time wise.