PDA

View Full Version : I hope this passes. pls read.

warpspeed
06-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Here is the link that our gov. is trying to pass.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/living/health/8934718.htm?1c

JanSolo
06-17-2004, 12:48 PM
For those who do not want to register at the Mercury News web site.

---

Millions of Californians who own newer cars would no longer be required to get smog checks -- but would pay $6 more for their annual vehicle registrations -- under a plan announced Tuesday by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to raise money for air pollution prevention.

Currently, vehicles 4 years old or newer are exempt from California smog checks because they emit little pollution. Schwarzenegger's plan would extend the exemption to vehicles 6 years old or newer.

Motorists whose vehicles are exempt from smog checks would see the ``smog abatement fee'' on their annual registration increase from $6 to $12 a year. That money would raise about $61 million a year to reduce diesel soot and other types of pollution, through such state efforts as converting school buses to natural gas, putting exhaust filters on city buses and offering incentives for private business to upgrade old engines on ships, trains, farm equipment and other machinery.

``This is an aggressive step toward our goal of greatly reducing air pollution in California,'' Schwarzenegger said in a statement. ``This plan cuts costs to consumers and relieves them from the burden of unnecessary smog checks while improving air quality for all Californians.''

If approved by the Legislature as part of the current budget, which is considered likely, it could take effect as soon as July 1.

There were 19 million passenger vehicles -- cars, pickups, sport-utility vehicles and minivans -- registered in California as of May 31. Of those, about 2.9 million, or 15 percent, are model year 1999 or 2000, the first additional years that would be exempt.

Along with public health groups such as the American Lung Association, environmentalists have been major supporters of the diesel program, known as the Carl Moyer Program, because it targets diesel soot -- the kind of smog most medical studies show poses the worst health risk, particularly to children with asthma and elderly people with emphysema and other respiratory ailments. Moyer, a scientist who died in 1997 in a ski accident, supported taking old vehicles off the road to improve California's air quality.

``This is a very positive step by the governor,'' said Gail Ruderman Feuer, senior attorney for the Natural Resources Defense Council. ``We call on the Legislature to approve this essential funding, and to follow this important first step with additional funding needed for all of California to breathe clean air.''

``It's a good first step. I think it will be received well by both sides of the aisle,'' said Kip Lipper, chief of staff for state Sen. Byron Sher, D-San Jose.

A study released Tuesday by the Union of Concerned Scientists found that 3,000 premature deaths a year in California are related to diesel soot. Causes include heart attacks, severe asthma, stroke and other sources.

Patty Monahan, an analyst with the group, said it supports the Schwarzenegger plan, but would rather see funds for the diesel program come from new fees on engine makers and oil companies.

Overall, according to studies from the California Environmental Protection Agency, exempting 5- and 6-year-old cars would add three tons of smog-forming pollutants a day to California's air. But because new funding would target heavy engines, by 2007, about 15 tons of other smog-forming pollutants would be removed from the air, a number that grows to 33 tons by 2010.

One group that stands to suffer from the program are owners of smog check shops, particularly in the Bay Area.

Responding to a change in the law approved by Gov. Gray Davis two years ago, smog check shops in the nine Bay Area counties were required to test vehicles on a treadmill-like machine called a dynamometer that better simulates driving conditions.

Many shop owners have only recently paid to install the costly new machines, and now may be losing a chunk of their customers.

Steve Bartnek, owner of Almaden Chevron in San Jose, spent $60,000 for his new machine last October. Because of the increased cost, he had to raise the price of a smog check from $49 to $79.

``That machine takes several years to pay off,'' Bartnek said. ``You have to pay for your technicians, pay for the software, pay for the upkeep. If there are fewer cars, it will take longer to pay off.''

In California, just 1 percent of the vehicles on the road emit 30 percent of all automotive pollution, said Thomas Cahill, a professor of atmospheric science at the University of California-Davis. Similarly, 10 percent of the vehicles put out two-thirds of all vehicle smog.

``This is a smart move,'' Cahill said. ``Most of the cars in California contribute little to the total smog problem. It's the diesels and the older cars that are the real problem. This puts more money where the real problem is.''

evo_dadi
06-17-2004, 12:53 PM
wow that's some good news for sure as far as the state trying to help lessen poluution and at the same time not lose money running it.

GReddy_917
06-17-2004, 01:14 PM
That would so rule if it gets passed!

vtluu
06-17-2004, 01:18 PM
I find some irony that the people most happy about this are those running without cats. :roll: (I don't necessarily mean anyone here.)

toasty
06-17-2004, 04:23 PM
yup no cats will be more performance.
:bow:

evo_dadi
06-17-2004, 05:19 PM
I find some irony that the people most happy about this are those running without cats. :roll: (I don't necessarily mean anyone here.)

:nanaL :nanaL

Black_EVO
06-17-2004, 05:28 PM
I think this bill is a great idea!!! It's good to see that some lawmakers are actually using thier heads. On the other hand I hate to see local buisness owners put in a finacial bind. They will not be out of buisness completely, only a temporary slow down. There will always be older cars out there that will need to be smogged every other year. I give this bill 2 :thumbsup:

ps- I don't have cat delete................yet

vtluu
06-17-2004, 11:41 PM
:birdie: :tisk:

http://www.southernregion.fs.fed.us/gwj/lee/forest/recreation/images/woodsy_just_for_kids.png

Black_EVO
06-19-2004, 12:24 AM
:birdie: :tisk:

http://www.southernregion.fs.fed.us/gwj/lee/forest/recreation/images/woodsy_just_for_kids.png

I'm sure cat delete pipes will still be illegal for road use. If you were so concerned about the enviroment why buy an EVO? :chatter:

vtluu
06-19-2004, 12:42 AM
I'm sure cat delete pipes will still be illegal for road use. If you were so concerned about the enviroment why buy an EVO? :chatter:
I'm fine with extending the period to six years; the climate is generally pretty mild in CA and cars stay in good condition for a long time.

I don't like the fact that a few people will abuse this change in the law to run cat-delete pipes (because they don't have to get smogged for years). Fact is an Evo with a cat doesn't emit any more pollutants than most other cars; granted it's not as "green" as a Prius but it's not bad either. I'm willing to sacrifice that last one percent or so of performance (that I have no use for on the street anyway) to keep us from choking on smog and dying of respiratory diseases.

Black_EVO
06-19-2004, 12:46 AM
I'm just give'n you a hard time 8)

vtluu
06-19-2004, 08:55 AM
I'm just give'n you a hard time 8)
Thanks, I wouldn't have it any other way. :lol: