PDA

View Full Version : STI or EVO8?

toasty
06-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Which have you driven and compare the 2, which is better stock?
STI or EVO VIII

kataklyzm
06-17-2004, 04:39 PM
survey says!

isn't it obvious?

vtluu
06-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Depends how much you like understeer. :)

kataklyzm
06-17-2004, 05:55 PM
and how much you're willing to pay for a stereo in the 05, and not much more offerings than the evo. the evo is DEFINITELY the best bang for the buck

JanSolo
06-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Well I think in a straight line, the STI is a better performer than the Evo stock. And then the Evo is better in the twisties. But, try modding and you will find the Evo to be much better.

robi
06-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Three friends with STI's can't be wrong (the sick look after a ride in my EVO says it all rrrr)

EvoVIII
06-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Sti out of the box.... but since this is a Evo fourm... 99.9% will say the Evo, if this is on a Subaru Fourm 99.9% will take the STi
Am I making any sense?

garrick70
06-17-2004, 09:16 PM
I drove both before purchasing an Evo. While I loved the acceleration of the STI with very little turbo lag, the overall feel of the Evo was more gratifying. The STI felt a bit sloppy compared to the immediate nature of the Evo. However, I still love them both.

http://www.newdimensionstudios.com/Evo_Side.jpg

brwnrice
06-17-2004, 10:29 PM
i have driven my friends sti and the way the sti handles is no comparison with the evo. the evo has a quicker steering response, better seats and is cheaper. a few modifications and you will be grinning from ear to ear for a long time. if you think the evo have bad gas mileage the sti is worst!

Buzzard
06-18-2004, 07:49 AM
Does the STi have an adjustable steering wheel? I bruised my right off the steering wheel doing heel-toes while test driving a WRX when they first came out. So the STi isn't even a consideration for me.

I decided to go with the Evo over the E46 M3, the Evo was more fun and I have been wanting one for over 10 years. Plus the difference in cost, I could build an insane Evo that almost no M3 could touch. I also had a E36 M3 so I already had done the Dinan thing (expensive). Of the other cars I considered, the Audi S4, though nice, seemed very heavy to me and the IS300 was just slow.

JanSolo
06-18-2004, 09:30 AM
I also had a E36 M3 so I already had done the Dinan thing (expensive).

But an E36 M3 with a Dinan supercharger is pretty damn powerful and torquey. I've been driving one for the past couple days and just love the immediate power and response. Too bad it can't handle like my Evo though.

06-18-2004, 11:59 AM
rofl 22 evo to 1 sti, lol :lol:

BluEvo
06-18-2004, 01:26 PM
the Sti is the faster stock car. now with with all BS aside...who drives fast in a straight line all day anyway? not I! Evo all the waayyyy mannnn! :D

LEVIII
06-18-2004, 09:18 PM
One of my friends just decided on the STi today, he has been wondering for a while and after alot of research chose it mainly for the more potential bigger displacement (his words not mine) and a little scared of all the bad publicity Mitsu has been recieving latley. The main reasons I like the evo is front mount, stereo, brakes and wheels arent gold, not to mention this is the same motor in j-spec evos and if im not mistaken the STi has a different motor in japan than here. In the end we decided that the Evo and the STi are basically like you and I decided to make a car that could do this and that and perform like this, then we go our seperate ways and make the car, very similar by two manufacturers.

MarkSAE
06-19-2004, 08:14 AM
And our engines don't sound like dune buggies!

CollinsT
07-05-2004, 06:10 PM
It took me a month to pick the EVO over the STi. At the beginning all I wanted was a STi, I was partial to them becasue my first car was a subaru. I then just decided to go into the mitsubishi dealership and look at the EVO. IT grew on me the more I was around it. Then I went back to the subaru dealership and checked the STi out again this time bring some paper to record what I liked and what I didnt like. I did the same with the EVO. The EVO won for FMIC, rear wing ( CF not plastic like the STi) better looking rims, moon roof, placment of the intercooler sprayer, more agressive front end. ONly thing that I liked better about the Sti was the dash ( better looking lights ), cruise control. In dislikes the EVO had 2 things, the STi had 6. So it took me awhile to throw my bais opinion out the door and really look at both cars. I am happy with my decision.

chrisw
07-05-2004, 07:01 PM
I drove both before purchasing an Evo. While I loved the acceleration of the STI with very little turbo lag, the overall feel of the Evo was more gratifying. The STI felt a bit sloppy compared to the immediate nature of the Evo. However, I still love them both.

http://www.newdimensionstudios.com/Evo_Side.jpg

while you just drove them, I owned both cars.

I had an STI for about 7000 miles before trading it for an EVO.

If you like to go up to Tahoe during the winter, the STI with it's front LSD and DCCD center diff is the way to go.

I let a friend of mine (STI owner) drive the EVO over 17. while he loved the handling his comment was "you can't forget where you are in this car; you must pay attention at all times when driving an EVO". He also said "I would love to have this car for racing (autocrossing) but I like my STI for daily driving better"

In some respects I agree. The handling of the EVO is aggressive, but I would not have it any other way 'cause I travel 17 everyday on the way to work, and you gotta pay attention to all the idiots anyway.

'nuf said. 8)

BTW: garrick70: nice choice of colors :thumbsup:

Hirsch
07-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Hehe, interesting thoughts here. I just sold my Dinan Supercharged E36 M3, and am thinking of transitioning into an evo in the next twelve months. I drove my buddies new '04 Evo, and it's nice, amazing for stock, turbo was a bit laggy, and the shifter seems bit gummy, but the brakes? 4-piston Brembo calipers!!! and the stock suspension is amazingly well-done. I KNEW I should have just said no (to the test-drive). Btw, the Dinan S/C E36 M3 is no slouch either, especially with a track pipe (grin, "who me?"). But it was a convertible, and I'm working toward a trackable car.

-Ben

p.s. Hi Tam! Hi Garrick!

But an E36 M3 with a Dinan supercharger is pretty damn powerful and torquey. I've been driving one for the past couple days and just love the immediate power and response. Too bad it can't handle like my Evo though.

sharkster
07-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Hehe, interesting thoughts here. I just sold my Dinan Supercharged E36 M3, and am thinking of transitioning into an evo in the next twelve months. I drove my buddies new '04 Evo, and it's nice, amazing for stock, turbo was a bit laggy, and the shifter seems bit gummy, but the brakes? 4-piston Brembo calipers!!! and the stock suspension is amazingly well-done. I KNEW I should have just said no (to the test-drive). Btw, the Dinan S/C E36 M3 is no slouch either, especially with a track pipe (grin, "who me?"). But it was a convertible, and I'm working toward a trackable car.
-Ben

Hehe glad you liked it man... It sure is fun. I know with The Works flashing it'll have some more punch too:P

Brakes are awesome as is. Perhaps a rear sway bar to dial out the understeer but otherwise it's great....

Hirsch
07-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah man, I'm impressed, absolutely amazing for stock!
-Ben

sharkster
07-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Oh oh... snorre at San Rafael has a white RS.. OK forget I said that:P

garrick70
07-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Hey Ben! I think you will be thrilled with the Evo. I cannot wait to track mine for the first time in August. Hey Sharkster! Welcome to the Forum as well. Looovvvee your "other" car! Hope to see you guys at the track!

sharkster
07-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks Garrick, why oh why did I have to get another turbo AWD car lol:) These things are addictive as hell and so much fun to play with... I mean drive:P

VadersSTi
07-12-2004, 12:59 PM
if you think the evo have bad gas mileage the sti is worst.... Well, I get between 260 to 310 per tank.... in my STi, and I usually love to punch it when I get a chance. :) What does the EVO average on mileage?

kimmievo
07-12-2004, 02:10 PM
I think gas mileage has to be one of the only things about my Evo that I can't stand. If I am lucky, I'll get about 200 miles on 3/4 of a tank. I never let it go below 1/4 of a tank.
But then again, my '03 GT Eclipse got about 220 on 3/4 of a tank, and it has a bigger tank and bigger engine

MitsuMan
07-12-2004, 02:22 PM
:peewee: hey look lets just say if my evo came with a 2.5 then we wouldn't even be having this discusion 8)