PDA

View Full Version : HKS EVO 9 Intake CAM IS OUT!!!

Full Function
12-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey guys,

Yes, you read that right. HKS has just released the EVO 9 with the Valcon controller to also control MIVEC. We are getting our first unit in a few weeks to test, I'll make sure I post up more info soon. As far as I know, it comes with the HKS intake cam, HKS Valcon controller, HKS pressure sensor, harness, and neccessary hardware for installation. The camshaft will have a similar profile to the HKS 264 cam shaft, because it controls the actual timing (moving back and forth), and the amount of load, RPM, and throttle, because of this, HKS has decided to make it for a more general applications. This is a HKS Pro Gold dealer option only, because it comes with the Valcon controller. I will have some in stock shortly after the testing, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Jerry

earlyapex1
12-18-2006, 03:12 PM
So the Valcon controller controls more than just cam timing?

dl_EVO
12-18-2006, 03:12 PM
^ +1

dl_EVO
12-18-2006, 03:14 PM
The HKS cams are billet or chill cast?

EDIT: How much is the Intake cam, controller, and harness?

Full Function
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey guys,

Early Apex, as far as I know, it only controls cam timing, that directly affects the others stated above. My HKS rep has told me that basically, the unit ALTERS what the factory unit inputs, and changes how and when the cam advances or retards timing. This will indirectly change the flow characteristics of your turbo (spooling time) and create a different powerband. This unit does not control anymore than the factory unit, but is does it better (dont ask me how, we havent tried it yet). Again, this is what my guys at HKS are telling me, and they haven't steered me wrong before... I know many of you probably have your doubts or concerns, but ask yourself, how long have they been making products, and if they were to just "make" something and not make power, wouldnt they have done it along time ago? :D

dlEVO, the HKS cams are billet. As far as I know, HKS uses a different process compared to others, which is why they last longer in wear points and are just stronger in general.

Jerry

Full Function
12-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey dlEVO,

Okay, the MSRP on the unit is $995, but you'd have to add the sensor and the harness together as well which is another $200. This should be everything you need. As far as I know, this unit will work with cars that have just a flash (but will need to be re-flashed with the controller), as well as standalone units. We will be trying it on our car, which has a F-Con Vpro and flash shortly.

Jerry

earlyapex1
12-18-2006, 03:43 PM
$1195 for a 264 intake cam? Good lord.

dl_EVO
12-18-2006, 03:57 PM
SRSLY! JZZZZ!

UCB
12-18-2006, 04:03 PM
$1195 for a 264 intake cam? Good lord.

im guessing that price includes the spiffy mivec controller (even though you can tune it yourself via ecuflash)

Full Function
12-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Well, it's not just for a camshaft, it's for a camshaft and a controller that actually works. The factory ECU will be controlling any other aftermarket cam that you would be using from other people, which isnt very effective compared to having an actual control unit. HKS initally made this unit to be sold as a normal part, but with the Valcon, it has become much more expensive and makes much more usable power. Again, I'm not sure the gains, since we have not tested it yet. Once we do, I'll post up more info. sorry guys, dont mean to be so vague, just dont have all the info in hand. =)

UCB
12-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Well, it's not just for a camshaft, it's for a camshaft and a controller that actually works. The factory ECU will be controlling any other aftermarket cam that you would be using from other people, which isnt very effective compared to having an actual control unit.

Sorry, I dont believe this statement one bit

The piggy-back controller (much like almost every other piggyback out there), will simply directly change the ECU parameters (in this case the mivec map)

Unless I see dyno evidence before and after, I dont see how this unit will provide anything different than self-tuning the mivec map via ECUflash

dohcvtec
12-18-2006, 04:22 PM
^^ agreed.

You can control the mivec cam timing directly with ecu flash, making this piece obsolete. I would imagine the only time this equipment is beneficail is to work along side another piggy back like an SAFC.

ST
12-18-2006, 04:40 PM
There *can* be a benefit of a standalone piggyback MIVEC controller...a state machine controlled ecu working independently to optimize MIVEC settings. Think it of it as an on the fly monitor of timing/barometer/map sensor/etc, with optimized derived calculations back to the ECU....now that would really great instead of just static settings in the ECU. Creating an algorithm for this would be highly complex and requires intimate knowledge of the 4g63, MIVEC, etc., which HKS i'm sure has. But if it's just a passive system similar to the SAFC, then meh...

UCB
12-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Well yeah, if its a closed-loop control system with on-the-fly read-back and continously changing values it would be well worth it

But thats a stretch indeed....even for HKS

Full Function
12-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Well, it's not just for a camshaft, it's for a camshaft and a controller that actually works. The factory ECU will be controlling any other aftermarket cam that you would be using from other people, which isn't very effective compared to having an actual control unit.

Sorry, I dont believe this statement one bit

The piggy-back controller (much like almost every other piggyback out there), will simply directly change the ECU parameters (in this case the mivec map)

Unless I see dyno evidence before and after, I dont see how this unit will provide anything different than self-tuning the mivec map via ECUflash

Hey folks,

DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!!! hahahah Again, we have not done any testing, so for me to claim it will make more power is wrong, much like it's wrong for you to claim that it will not make power. As far as I know, with any other company making cams, they do not make much power, and there is not much of an increase in response as well. We've installed them, seen them on the dyno, and know what the deal is. But again, the HKS system is not available, and we do not even have even have a pictures of it. As far as I know, HKS has not even had a press release on their units.

The MIVEC unit is controllable with the factory ECU and a flash, correct, but again, we are all assuming at this point, so I'd think it would be best to wait until we can get some actual numbers.

earlyapex1
12-18-2006, 05:00 PM
If it is like ST is describing then yes, it would be pretty cool. It would have to be intergrated into fueling and ignition changes as well since you need to optimize those as well depending on cam timing changes. Somehow I highly doubt it is that since it's $200.

If it's just a piggyback that you set cam timing +/- depending on RPM and Load, than I don't see it being any advantage over a reflash.

dohcvtec
12-18-2006, 05:03 PM
The MIVEC unit is controllable with the factory ECU and a flash, correct, but again, we are all assuming at this point, so I'd think it would be best to wait until we can get some actual numbers.

I think people are wondering about the actual function of the unit, not just HP gains.

earlyapex1
12-18-2006, 05:09 PM
The factory ECU will be controlling any other aftermarket cam that you would be using from other people, which isnt very effective compared to having an actual control unit.

Again, we have not done any testing. But again, the HKS system is not available, and we do not even have even have a pictures of it. As far as I know, HKS has not even had a press release on their units.

So how did you figure it's superior than actual MIVEC control via the ecu? Did you say why somewhere?

Full Function
12-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Hey guys,

Yes, I'm actually wondering the same thing, since I havent seen the unit yet, I'd like to see how it's going to control the cam timing as well. I'm not sure what it comes with, how it works, or how WELL it works. What I can tell you, based on the units for other cars (2JZ, 1JZ, SR20, EJ20 w/ AVCS) that it does work better then other units out for those specific cars, but is more costly.

BUT HKS would not make a unit that would do the same thing that a stock ECU can do with a flash, there would be no point... So at this point, I'd be confident in saying that it is superior to the facotry MIVEC unit with a flash (ECU controlled).

Jerry

earlyapex1
12-18-2006, 05:34 PM
BUT HKS would not make a unit that would do the same thing that a stock ECU can do with a flash, there would be no point...

They wouldn't? What about the HKS FCD?

UCB
12-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I'd really hold off on making any sort of claims until you actually receive and fully test the product

Full Function
12-18-2006, 05:39 PM
HAHAHAHAH the FCD was made years and years ago, not a part made for EVOs, at least not the current models. As youc an see for yourself with the link below, this unit was made long before flashing and DID sell well before fuel management became well known to end users (and more affordable like it is now).

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=683

To save you the time, I've also got their description of their product here:

The HKS FCD is an electronic device developed to properly raise the factory fuel cut level on factory turbocharged vehicles. As modifications are made to optimize engine performance, the factory fuel cut is often triggered by higher boost levels which activate a fuel delivery cut-off as a failsafe procedure. Symptoms of fuel cut are hesitation, bogging, and/or illumination of diagnostic indicators.

The electronic signal from the FCD will raise the fuel cut level to accommodate for the additional boost without triggering fuel cut and/or an engine diagnostic light. The FCD installation is designed to be easily integrated with the VPC/F-CON or factory ECU harness.

Warning: Due to the characteristics of this product, higher than recommended or unsafe boost levels may be attained by the installation and use of the FCD. This may result in severe damage to the vehicles engine or other mechanical parts. We suggest a fuel delivery upgrade and consulting a trained technician before the purchase and use of the FCD.

As you can see, this was made long ago, but many customers with Toyota MR-2s, 300ZX TTs, and Starions are still buying them. If anyone with those cars listed on the application lists are now current EVO owners, they'd tell you the same thing.

Jerry

Full Function
12-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I'd really hold off on making any sort of claims until you actually receive and fully test the product

Yes, I understand, I was simply trying to say that the unit is going to be available and we have one coming for our car to test... I think I got ahead of myself by saying that it "WILL" make power, as far as our testing here. But from the testing done in Japan, it has, as far as I know. There is a picture on Sport Compact's site regarding this part from a while back, it's a small picture, but you can it, kind of, here.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0205scc_tokyo15.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0205scc_2002_tokyo_auto_salon/&h=113&w=150&sz=5&hl=en&start=18&tbnid=EC00t4Bc1mhxrM:&tbnh=72&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3DHKS%2BValcon%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%2 6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Jerry

StockEVO
12-18-2006, 05:45 PM
HKS FCD + Mitsubish Eclipse/EVO = KABOOM!

HKS FCD is nothing more than an "overpriced resistor in a box."

Full Function
12-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Yes, StockEVO, that's why I didnt list the DSM model.. ahhahaha But for the other cars, it worked great. As for it being an overpriced resistor box, that's the case with the DSMs only, it acutally worked better than the resistor mod for the Toyotas and the Nissans.

Jerry

earlyapex1
12-18-2006, 07:50 PM
So at this point, I'd be confident in saying that it is superior to the facotry MIVEC unit with a flash (ECU controlled).

I just don't understand how you can say it will be superior when you don't even know any info about it?

AreSTG
12-18-2006, 07:59 PM
As you can see, this was made long ago, but many customers with Toyota MR-2s, 300ZX TTs, and Starions are still buying them. If anyone with those cars listed on the application lists are now current EVO owners, they'd tell you the same thing.

Jerry

i concur, i haven't seen the acronym FCD since my 4E-FTE(toyota), but only 2ish yrs ago we used FCD on it. Probably is a better alternative though..

Full Function
12-18-2006, 08:29 PM
So at this point, I'd be confident in saying that it is superior to the facotry MIVEC unit with a flash (ECU controlled).

I just don't understand how you can say it will be superior when you don't even know any info about it?

Again, I do not know what the outcomes will be with this part, but from what they've done the testing in Japan (with unknown circumstances) and have told me that there is a gain. I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS ITEM, SO I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WILL GAIN POWER OR NOT. But if I were to take a shot in the dark, I'd guess that it is.... AGAIN I'M NOT SURE IF IT WILL OR NOT, but information provided (from HKS) says it will.

Just in case this is unclear, WE HAVE NOT TESTED THIS UNIT, EarlyApex, BUT from what I'm told it will make power, and is superior to the factory unit, BUT WE HAVE NOT TESTED THIS YET, so I can not say for sure. I'm sure on different cars with different size turbos, some will gain more than others, especially since it is a less agressive cam (264).

Jerry

earlyapex1
12-18-2006, 08:34 PM
OK, let us know when it's out (like you said it was in the other thread and in the title of this thread), and also what your testing concludes, when the product is actually out.

AreSTG
12-18-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm sure on different cars with different size turbos, some will gain more than others, especially since it is a less agressive cam (264).

Jerry

lol, so they will gain? ;p

06IXMR
12-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm sure on different cars with different size turbos, some will gain more than others, especially since it is a less agressive cam (264).

Jerry

lol, so they will gain? ;p

hahahaah..

Full Function
12-19-2006, 11:47 AM
oh god, someone shoot me!!!! you know what I MEAN!!!! hahahahah

jerry

OOORecks
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Any dyno's on the hks cam yet?

Full Function
05-01-2007, 06:02 PM
No, not yet, we are building the motor right now.

Jerry

OOORecks
05-01-2007, 06:04 PM
LoL

PANGES
05-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Any chance you're going to have any before and after numbers on a stock motor?

OOORecks
05-01-2007, 06:17 PM
I was just going to ask that.. But if they don't have another set will's car is pretty miuch. Built and won't show good before after dyno's on the cams..

TcJayLee
05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
All i Can say is, its about damn time!!!!!!!

atlvalet
05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
So basically HKS is offering half the cams for twice the price. Got to give them an A+ for marketing.

Full Function
05-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Actually, HKS will be releasing the new camshaft as well in a short amount of time. They are in the final stages of testing, and the Valcon will be sold separately. We have a Valcon in stock, but have yet to find a good canidate to test it with. We need a factory EVO 9, COMPLETELY stock, and then we can do a before and after...

Jerry

fusionchicken
07-25-2007, 01:52 AM
HKS 272/272 intake/exhaust cams for IX's are both out now....curious if anybody up north has any dyno results?

did a search on here and didn't find anything...

PANGES
07-25-2007, 02:05 PM
HKS 272/272 intake/exhaust cams for IX's are both out now....curious if anybody up north has any dyno results?

did a search on here and didn't find anything...

I dont know anyone that has these yet. Same with the Greddy cams.

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Everyone's too scared to blow up their Mivec. :P

PANGES
07-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Everyone's too scared to blow up their Mivec. :P

I'm not too scared, but I already have cams. :lol:

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-25-2007, 03:00 PM
:lol: contribute to the thread then!!

PANGES
07-25-2007, 03:02 PM
:lol: contribute to the thread then!!

Why dont you??? Stockey!!!

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-25-2007, 03:09 PM
I would if you contributed!!

oh wait nvm... we don't want your mods. I like my car holding together on the freeway. :lol:

PANGES
07-25-2007, 03:12 PM

oh wait nvm... we don't want your mods. I like my car holding together on the freeway. :lol:

Oh shit... we're low blowing now?? :lol:

Well your car would hold together on the freeway better if you would stop speeding all the time and having to stop and going after getting pulled over! >=P

lqdchkn
07-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Nobody's even really talking about these up here. In fact last I heard was that the HKS MIVEC cams were 264/264. I wasn't even aware that 272/272 proposed for MIVEC.

Got a link? Apparently I need to catchup on some reading.

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-25-2007, 11:40 PM

Well your car would hold together on the freeway better if you would stop speeding all the time and having to stop and going after getting pulled over! >=P

:lol: wrong car

lqdchkn
07-25-2007, 11:45 PM

So there are no MIVEC HKS 272's afterall?

PANGES
07-26-2007, 01:02 AM

Doesn't matter which car when you have a suspended license. ;)

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-26-2007, 01:13 AM
touche.

but your grammar sucks in the post i quoted.

06IXMR
07-26-2007, 07:11 AM
I'll try the HKS 272/272 once they arrive and I can purchase them lol :D

dabaysevo
07-26-2007, 07:27 AM
touche.

Nice comeback :? :lol:

PANGES
07-26-2007, 10:51 AM

So there are no MIVEC HKS 272's afterall?

IIRC, the they're only coming out with like a 264 intake cam... I could be wrong. =/

edit: But Jay said he's getting the 272's, so maybe they ARE coming with 272s.... shrugs.

PANGES
07-26-2007, 10:52 AM
touche.

Don't trip, Ryan! I'll get you to the meets still! :D

BLKevoIX
07-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Anyone has these installed yet with spec sheet, Im going back and forth on the HKS or COSSIES

Full Function
07-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Anyone has these installed yet with spec sheet, Im going back and forth on the HKS or COSSIES

Hey All,

If someone is willing to buy the cams at a discounted price(one set HKS one set Greddy- of course two different customers), I will make you a deal. You buy the parts, pay $250 to have us install it, and Sean will do a before and after pull/tune with you for a discounted price of $300. The car can not have anything else added, simple mods will be preferred (such as TBE, air filter, MBC, etc.). Send me a PM for details, I will take one of each for this deal **both cars must be EVO 9s obviously**.

trinydex
07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
why does that not feel like a deal at all....

Full Function
07-26-2007, 03:14 PM
why doest hat not feel like a deal at all....

The cams will be discounted, the dyno tune is discounted... The savings will be more with the cams, not the labor. It will ultimately depend on what else you have on the car for Sean to work with on the tune. The final price is always up for negotiation. ;)

Jerry

Evo9R
07-26-2007, 03:30 PM
i have the greddy 264 on my car Andy did them two weeks ago and i love them great usable power band turbo spools 500rpm fast :D

lqdchkn
07-26-2007, 06:34 PM

Hey All,

If someone is willing to buy the cams at a discounted price(one set HKS one set Greddy- of course two different customers), I will make you a deal. You buy the parts, pay $250 to have us install it, and Sean will do a before and after pull/tune with you for a discounted price of $300. The car can not have anything else added, simple mods will be preferred (such as TBE, air filter, MBC, etc.). Send me a PM for details, I will take one of each for this deal **both cars must be EVO 9s obviously**.

cams ~ $500 install = $250 Dyno = $300Â*

total = $1050
Â*

For MIVEC 264 equivilents

Becasue you can go to GST and get Cossie MIVEC cams 272 equivilent for $800 installed and I think that Bryan tunes it.Â* Â*(I'm not sure on the tuning PLEASE don't quote me on that)

Full Function
09-10-2007, 10:51 AM

Hey All,

cams ~ $500 install = $250 Dyno = $300

total = $1050

For MIVEC 264 equivilents

Becasue you can go to GST and get Cossie MIVEC cams 272 equivilent for $800 installed and I think that Bryan tunes it. (I'm not sure on the tuning PLEASE don't quote me on that)

So it's a better deal to get the Coosie cams for $800 instead of the HKS cams for $750 (based on your calculations)??

trinydex
10-13-2007, 08:48 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=301273