PDA

View Full Version : Offer a user preference to block Avitars...

chrisw
06-22-2004, 04:33 PM
I hate avitars.... Makes the site look dumb...

I don't care if people want them, but I don't want to view them.

Buzzard
06-23-2004, 02:15 AM
I hate avitars.... Makes the site look dumb...

I don't care if people want them, but I don't want to view them.

This is coming from a guy whose sig is a bunch of smileys? Sorry, but I couldn't resist. I hope you see the irony. And if your going to call something dumb, please at least spell the word right, it's avatar. Try
http://dictionary.reference.com/

Absinthe
06-23-2004, 08:34 AM
I would agree But I want those anoyingly huge pictures in people sigs blocked

vtluu
06-23-2004, 08:48 AM
I would agree But I want those anoyingly huge pictures in people sigs blocked
Back when I was a mod I used to try to police that but it was impossible to come up with a policy that everybody would be happy with. :?

JanSolo
06-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Avatars. There is built in limitation on the size and dimensions of user avatars. I will look into a module for PHPBB to see if there is any kind of user preference for blocking out avatars. I am going to guess that there is not, unfortunately.

Signatures. This is a bit tougher and requires active policing by myself and all the moderators. We do let users know when they have annoying signatures and ask them to correct them immediately.

If there are any specific avatars or signatures that really, really just piss you off, feel free to send me a PM stating whom it belongs to and why it pisses you off and we will see what we can do.

BluEvo
06-23-2004, 05:00 PM
:werd:

chrisw
06-28-2004, 09:51 AM
It can't be all that hard. just keep a flag in the preferences and exclude them when rendering the page...

Avatars are a waste of bandwidth. I don't care if people want them, I just want the preference to NOT view them.

JanSolo
06-28-2004, 10:08 AM
It can't be all that hard. just keep a flag in the preferences and exclude them when rendering the page...

Avatars are a waste of bandwidth. I don't care if people want them, I just want the preference to NOT view them.

There is no flag that you can just set in preferences for PHPBB to disable per user avatars, only a global variable that can be set that eliminates all avatars for everyone. As much as I would like to make everyone happy, unless the majority voted to eliminate avatars, then they will have to stay.

That being said, I did indeed find a module that allows for a per user avatar AND signature disable. I should hopefully get this installed ASAP. I'll make sure to send you a PM once it is installed and is working. :)