PDA

View Full Version : MR EVO

LEVIII
06-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Just got the new SCC mag and it talks about the MR coming in fall, it also has a pic of the inside and I noticed it has a douple din stereo with the climate controls undernieth where our pocket is. Anyone know if this is how it will be here?

Black_EVO
06-22-2004, 08:45 PM
It also mentions more power from bigger turbo. I thought it was just from better tuning?

vtluu
06-22-2004, 09:23 PM
No, the MR has a different turbo (not more laggy I hope).

evo_dadi
06-22-2004, 09:23 PM
slightly bigger turbo on the MR w/better tuning :) we'll see how this car comes out and what type of owner will it have ;)

vtluu
06-22-2004, 09:27 PM
I hope it gets classed same as the regular Evo at auto-x; woohoo, update/backdate rules!

GokuSSJ4
06-23-2004, 09:58 AM
where can i obtain pics of the MR ?
also pics of an evolution VIII with the FQ-330 badge on ?

vtluu
06-23-2004, 10:08 AM
:google: (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mitsubishi+lancer+evolution+mr)

warpspeed
06-23-2004, 10:09 AM
I wonder what MMC means by better tuning. I know the suspension of different. Will the ECU be tuned for specific areas of the world(which I doubt). Meaning since here in Cali. we have 91 octane and the rest of the world are higher, are the map different. Maaaaayyyybbbbeee, its going to have a Works P2 :wink: .

GokuSSJ4
06-23-2004, 10:14 AM
:google: (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mitsubishi+lancer+evolution+mr)

ah ! comon Tam , you can provide me with a better answer then that :roll:

GokuSSJ4
06-23-2004, 10:16 AM
im having the bodyshop install the EVoVIII trubk badge, and i want to make sure where it goes.

xchoirboy
06-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Try the http://www.theevo.com for pics.

GokuSSJ4
06-23-2004, 10:27 AM
thanks
i found this one for the trunk badge , do you line up the T at the middle of the mitsu sign or at the end of the T left side?
http://z1auto.com/images/yelloevobadge.jpg

nebolic
06-23-2004, 10:33 AM
I wonder what MMC means by better tuning. I know the suspension of different. Will the ECU be tuned for specific areas of the world(which I doubt). Meaning since here in Cali. we have 91 octane and the rest of the world are higher, are the map different. Maaaaayyyybbbbeee, its going to have a Works P2 :wink: .

i think it mentioned that the housing of the wastegate etc.. is slightly bigger, they increased the size of some components to squeeze in the extra 9 horsepower. As far as tuning goes, they probably just tweaked it so that the P0300 code isn't there any more hheheheh.

Nebo

xchoirboy
06-23-2004, 12:20 PM
thanks
i found this one for the trunk badge , do you line up the T at the middle of the mitsu sign or at the end of the T left side?
http://z1auto.com/images/yelloevobadge.jpg

as mentioned by the TRI-BAR guy (forgot his name), if look at VIII they always slope down. I don't know why but it true. :wink:

GReddy_917
06-23-2004, 12:57 PM
No, the MR has a different turbo (not more laggy I hope).

From the other Evo forum....

Evolution 8
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-9.8T (GSR / USDM)
TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T (RS/RS2)
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9.8
Turbine = USDM EVO 8 & JDM GSR =Inconel (steel alloy),
RS/Rs2=Titanium alloy.
Compressor = Aluminium, 68mm wide

Evolution MR aka "8.5"
GSR = TD05HR-16G6-10.5T or TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (Ti Alloy option)
RS = 6MT:TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T or 5MT:TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5 or 9.8(RS-5speed)
Compressor = Aluminium, 68mm wide

EvoVIII
06-23-2004, 08:11 PM
who cares... ppl gonna change the turbo sooner or later......

JanSolo
06-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Not everyone is gonna change their turbo since the stock turbo is enough for some. For instance, David Buschur got an 11.65 quarter mile on the stock turbo, which as good as others get with a bigger turbo. I think the stock turbo can be a pretty good performer with the right tuning and supportive mods.

vtluu
06-23-2004, 08:16 PM
It matters for some of us who autocross. In Street Prepared and Street Touring classes, upgrading your turbo (or even so much as installing/changing boost control) is not allowed, *except* if newer models of the car have it and are in the same class. So if the MR were classed the same as our '03 models, I would be allowed to install any MR parts that fit. This is commonly referred to as the "update/backdate rule".

MarkSAE
06-24-2004, 12:46 PM
I had a Forced Performance Green turbo and all the supporting mods on my 98 GSX, and grew to hate all that lag. Don't get me wrong, the top end was awesome, but it was only good at going straight. Corners were no fun, and quick lane changes on the highway couldn't be done due to lag. On a day to day basis, our stock turbos are the best compromise between good response and overall power. I'm stickin' with it.

mk112288
06-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Now will the Evo MR be like the RS in the sense that it will have no power windows or locks, and no radio?

JanSolo
06-25-2004, 09:08 AM
No, the MR is the flagship of the Evos product line, so expect it to be like the standard Evo with more performance goodies.

Black_EVO
06-25-2004, 12:50 PM
http://media.mitsubishicars.com/detail?mid=MIT2004060254184&mime=ASC
This site from Mitsubishi lists all of new options for the MR. Looks promising. I think I'll make the trade....eventually.

LEVIII
07-14-2004, 08:30 PM
If I do decide to trade in and get the MR does anyone know what parts will or more importantly wont swap? I am just getting to the point to start purchasing performance parts but I know Ill prob end up with the MR so I wanna buy stuff that I can use now and on the MR. So a clutch would be stupid as would a reflash, but will a DP fit the new turbo?, and exhaust?

warpspeed
07-14-2004, 08:52 PM
The exhaust should be the same. Not to sure about the DP.

sharkster
07-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Not everyone is gonna change their turbo since the stock turbo is enough for some. For instance, David Buschur got an 11.65 quarter mile on the stock turbo, which as good as others get with a bigger turbo. I think the stock turbo can be a pretty good performer with the right tuning and supportive mods.

I'm with you on this. For the drag strip, sure it doesn't matter if you want a bigger turbo with the extra lag that goes with it. Go for it. Although something I learned with my car is running 10s is bloody hard- no matter how much power you have and you pretty much ruin a great track car doing that. I like to drive mine on the street and on the track (probably dabble with AutoX now that I have a car that doesn't smoke in 2nd gear). Having a bigger turbo in that case is useless. Anyone eve tried driving a car around the track with 400+ HP and a 4000+rpm spool? It sucks. Bigger is not always better and I may try using some of the technology on my other car in terms of zero clearance or something (if my turbo builder has time sniff) to reduce the lag and improve the efficiency of the stock one. Maybe a hybrid would work. A larger wheel and the stock hot side... Maybe Pete and the WORKS guys can chime in here....

I know the stock turbo is pretty maxed out and it's pointless running 25PSI etc... but maybe using a larger wheel would work. Nobody is doing that yet, right?

Buzzard
07-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Sharky, go up to Fremont and talk to the guys at ATP. They know turbos, Works' kit comes from ATP and they are working with Vinshu to offer a complete kit. I too have had a big turbo/big lag set up and vow never to do so again but a turbo upgrade is in my future. Buschur was working on an upgrade to the stock turbo but I haven't seen anything lately, so I don't now if they are still working on it.

sharkster
07-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Sharky, go up to Fremont and talk to the guys at ATP. They know turbos, Works' kit comes from ATP and they are working with Vinshu to offer a complete kit. I too have had a big turbo/big lag set up and vow never to do so again but a turbo upgrade is in my future. Buschur was working on an upgrade to the stock turbo but I haven't seen anything lately, so I don't now if they are still working on it.

Heya Buzzard, you've been there and know the drill it seems. I try to explain to people just what a PIA lag is. It's no fun, especially around a turn...

I know the guys at ATP, I'm sure they remember me since my Differential on the Porsche blew up on their dyno during a dyno day a couple of years ago... They know there stuff and spec'd out a high HP turbo (900RWHP capable) for a Turbo Supra for a pal of mine. It lags like crazy but sure does make power- that's what he wanted.

I figure taking out the stock turbo popping in a bigger wheel, maybe clipping it, porting it out a little and then ceramically coating it should give us a little more oomph. I'll talk to Pete and ATP about it as well as my turbo builder friend. Unfortunately although he's really talented he is so focused on doing 993/996TT stuff he never has any time for other projects.

CollinsT
07-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Tempting to trade our evos in for the MR but I think we would just get the shaft if we do something like that

sharkster
07-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Tempting to trade our evos in for the MR but I think we would just get the shaft if we do something like that

Yeah why bother. Unless that ACD stuff is something you really _need_

LEVIII
07-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Mainly trade it in for the 6-speed, even Toyota Celicas and Mini Coopers have 6s.

Buzzard
07-15-2004, 09:24 AM
It would probably be cheaper to wait till MR's get wrecked (and you know they will) and buy the driveline or even the whole car if you get the right deal. If you trade it in, the dealer will soak you, that's their job, buy real low and sell high. KBB says $26k but you won't get $20k in a trade in, especially for a MR were the dealer doesn't have to make a deal to move it. Selling it would be a better move, you could probably get the $26k at least, KBB has retail at $30k for a '03 w/ 20k miles.

I'm thinking about running the Quaife units down the road after I've bumped up the horsepower. Though I'm going to keep my eye out for 6 speeds. BTW, realize that more isn't always better. My Dad had a '87 930 for years that was a 4 speed, that car was so fast. Because of the gearing most of the time in 3rd gear except when on the highway. I haven't seen anything showing what the gear ratios are in the MR box, is it a close ratio 6 speed or a 5 + 1?