PDA

View Full Version : FALKEN Tires

cleanevo
06-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Any body want to try 245/45/17 Falken Azenis sport Tires , Good bang for the buck .

brwnrice
06-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Any body want to try 245/45/17 Falken Azenis sport Tires , Good bang for the buck .

can you elaborate more on what you just said? sure i want to try the azenis sport for free?

vtluu
06-27-2004, 07:52 PM
I'm about 1/3 of the way through mine (after about 3 weeks) with about 5 autocrosses worth of wear on them. They're nicely grippy for street tires, sidewalls holding up a lot better than the Kumho MXs' did. They are heavy however, and they look huge on my car; I was worried about clearance but they seem to be okay. Don't know if that would be the case with a lowered car though. I've heard bad things about how they grip (or rather, don't) in the rain, but I'm planning to be done with them long before "winter" comes again.

kataklyzm
06-27-2004, 09:50 PM
they're backordered right now.............let me know if you need tires/wheels....i've set up a group buy at work (wheel works in saratoga) for the falken azenis and whatever else you want :D

and supposedly the azenis stay sticky after they're worn (from what customers tell me)

vtluu
06-27-2004, 09:53 PM
The other thing I forgot to mention is that they lose grip rather badly when overheated, and they overheat rather easily. I keep a garden water sprayer with ice water in it to cool down the tires between autocross runs. Obviously that's not an option on the track so I think they're not a good tire for road racing, even compared to some other street tires.

GokuSSJ4
06-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Rob (949 coolguy) had his accident when he had the azenis 245/45/17 which he lost traction :?
if you are still interested
there was a thread about them how the tires perform
here is the link
http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2758&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

an also this was some feedback about the tires

245, the only probs with the azenis is the sloppy side wall idealy I would want something stiffer I dont like the softer ride, I wonder how 225 would be streched out on our rims any suggestions?

My next set of street tires will be the Azenis in 225 trim. I already have the 245's and I love them , but don't like the fact that the sidewall is so weak because the tire is meant for at least an 8.5 wheel. I've seen the 225's used, I also ran 225 pilot sport cups for the track, and they worked great. i've heard goos stuff about the 225 stretched on the stock wheel. I may just go with a set of RA1's and double up for street/track.

I promised a review of the Azenies Sports- here goes...

god damn POS tires...

So the side wall thing that everyone bitches about that I thought was just you guys being women, oh no its there. Its there so bad on the track that for the first three sessions I would turn in, wonder were my turn in was, then turn in more, and then realize I had too much imput and have to correct back...that sucked. :?

Also what the hell pressures are people running these at on the track I could bare get them to roll over so I bled down from the much use 36/40 psi setting to 29/32 cold world of difference its like the tires have no grip if you get more than 35-37 psi in them. I suppose I'll get used to them and just run them with less air in them that did improve girp alot, although it did my turn in no favors.

On the street...louder than stock, not louder than my super owrn out stockers but i think they we louder than my new advans, aw shit this is more of a guess than anything. They do ride better though and seem like a better tire with my tofu than the advans were perhaps because it makes things feel like they are moving more slowly.

SOO all in all I'd buy them again just dont expect them to be as precise or predictable as the Advans on the track.

Absinthe

Thanks for the input.

Thats what these forums are all about!

Sorry to hear about the poor performance. Besides that, what did you think of laguna? did you take the G16?

The performance wasnt all bad just not suited to my micro input style of driving if i were to fling the car around more it would have been faster but that is easier said than done with walls everywhere.

Naw didnt make the G16 there a big brush fire north of SB so I had to back track to 154 which had a wreck on it so i backed up to 33 over the hill to the valley up the 5 and over 198 which was pertty sweet but took soo long.

I also agree I cant stand the azenis on track I think they suck, but they kick ass for a street tire although Im probally going to get something with a stiffer sidewall for daily driving becuase I hate a soft ride.

JanSolo
06-27-2004, 11:15 PM
My next set of tires is going to be the Toyo T1-S. I have not found too many reviews of these, so I am hoping that they are decent when compared to the Advans and Azenis Sport.

vtluu
06-28-2004, 12:07 AM
I'm considering the Bridgestone Potenza RE050s. With a treadwear rating of 140 (the minimum rating for SCCA "street tire" classing)--half that of the Toyo T1-S--I figure they've got to be grippy. :)

brwnrice
06-28-2004, 06:33 AM
My next set of tires is going to be the Toyo T1-S. I have not found too many reviews of these, so I am hoping that they are decent when compared to the Advans and Azenis Sport.

i believe tswift, an independent tire dealer gave a review of the t1-s at evom. basically he strongly recommend the t1-s as a substitute to the stock advans.

chrisw
06-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Absinthe sounds like a noob...

I ran these tires on my WRX to a regional STX championship. I currently run them on my EVO. Not a bad, tire. They are a bit loud when on the highway.

You can't beat their performance for the price.

Stelios
07-12-2004, 03:18 AM
Can someone upload a pic of that tire.

vtluu
07-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Toyo T1-S: (http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/high_perf/t1s.html)
http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/popups/jpgs/t1s.jpg

Falken Azenis Sport RT-215 (http://www.falkentire.com/tires/az_rs_infopg.htm)
http://www.falkentire.com/tires/azsprt_info.jpg

NgohOiNei
07-12-2004, 09:39 AM
I used Kumho MX's on the street and Victoracer V700's auto x. I'd like to start using Hoosiers but they won't last nearly as long as the Kumhos.

Long story short- I love Kumho's and think they are the best bang for your buck street/race tire.

Kumho's do well in the heat and the cold whereas Hoosiers can't.
And forget Hoosiers in the rain.

Absinthe
07-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Absinthe sounds like a noob...

I ran these tires on my WRX to a regional STX championship. I currently run them on my EVO. Not a bad, tire. They are a bit loud when on the highway.

You can't beat their performance for the price.

To give you my experience:

6 track days in my WRX, 7 in the Evo, and 6 in the 911...You're right I am no hero. But I'm not the worst in the world Noob might be a bit harsh.

Also STX and track days are a different world I have been out agian and I am starting to like the tires more, for me to be most effective i have to overdrive the car and the tires just a touch that was something I wasnt comfortable doing at Laguna Seca, I had the car at T-hill a couple of weeks back and was much more comfortable with the tires and how the car handles on them there.

As for price/performance your right cant beat 'em.