PDA

View Full Version : mmmmmmm...... yummmy...

chrisw
06-29-2004, 08:44 AM
My olins are here.... :peace:

can't wait to get them on the car

vtluu
06-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Nice; which model did you get? Once you get them dialed in I'd love to take a fun run or two and see how they feel. :)

I'll be putting on coilovers for next season; considering Teins or JICs, don't really know much about the Olins.

JanSolo
06-29-2004, 10:44 AM
The Ohlins are a very good ride. But they are only height adjustable on the perch, don't come with adjustable camber plates and the stock springs are a bit soft for my taste, but I am sure you can just throw some Eibachs on there to suit your tastes. Adjusting their dampening is a bit tricky since you need to get all of the coilovers to the same extreme settings and then adjust at the same time. Zeal have a visual cue (more or less), that tells you what setting they are at, which is a plus IMHO. I still think the Ohlins are a bit more hardcore, like DMS coilovers and can probably take endless amounts of abuse that lesser coilovers cannot.

Just my unenlightened two pence.

brwnrice
06-29-2004, 11:22 AM
we need pics!

chrisw
06-29-2004, 01:52 PM
we need pics!

sigh... I need camber plates first. But no worries. I have some cusco camber plates left over from my WRX that can be tweaked to fit...

I wouldnt really consider the olins to be "height adjustable" The spring preload is set by adjusting the lower spring perch.

Jan, I went with custom spring rates (more than double the stock spring rates to establish a baseline tune) The springs are hotskis (name butchering) springs and are available (locally) in just about any spring rate you need.

These are about the same price point as DMS, but the quality appears to be much better. Better seal design on the insert, but only single adjustable. I hope your predictions about the endless amounts of abuse is correct. I intend to find out :)

SouthernCrane
06-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Don't forget your review of them too!

ogvw
06-30-2004, 11:54 AM
couple corrections Chris....

the springs on your set are Hyperco (one of the 2 best springs manufactured today)

and the shocks are double adjustable - it is just that you cannot adjust rebound and compression seperately (one knob adjusts both at once)

and the Ohlins are height adjustable. Why you would want to "preload" a chassis spring is beyond me - with the correct rates you can select the proper ride height without preloading the spring in its perches.

ogvw
06-30-2004, 11:55 AM
And by the way...... Jan is correct about the durability I have over 15000 HARD miles on mine with awesome results.

JanSolo
06-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Chris, how much did you end up paying for your Road & Track Sport Line Ohlins?

chrisw
06-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Chris, how much did you end up paying for your Road & Track Sport Line Ohlins?

I got a great deal from ogvw. You should contact him and he can fill in the details!

I highly recommend you contact him if your interested in these struts.

ogvw,

thanks for the corrections... I said preload only because the install directions said preload when adjusting the lower spring perch. Or maybe I am hella confused.. (probably the later 'cause I am a working way to hard these days...)