PDA

View Full Version : Helix EVO Downpipe $270 shipped! (tax included!)

blitzkrgCT9A
12-31-2003, 05:51 PM
Hello Guys!

We just got our first batch of Helix EVO downpipes today!
This downpipe is the optimal downpipe for the performance minded EVO owner. This downpipe provides the absolute maximum exhaust flow and minimum back pressure by allowing the wastegate gases to exit without disrupting normal exhaust flow. The downpipe is TIG welded, with thick flanges. The upper flange is CNC machined to bevel down and mate perfectly with the stock donut gasket (this is important) and the pipe is CNC MACHINE MANDREL BENT out of full 3" polished Stainless Steel (304). Because of this CNC mandrel bending, this downpipe can clear the stock EVO lower arm bars without the need for a flex-section. Our 5 test vehicles so far have no clearnace issues, but we recommend adding spacers on the front lower arm bar for future clearance (in case stock engine mounts sag in the future). ALL Helix products carry out full 2-year warranty!

Introductory offer at $270 shipped! Please give us a call at 510-498-8400

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoex/hel_evodp1.jpg

blitzkrgCT9A
12-31-2003, 05:54 PM
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoex/hel_evodp2.jpg

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoex/hel_evodp3.jpg

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoex/hel_evodp4.jpg

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoex/hel_evodp5.jpg

*BTW Helix will be offering a flex-section version (due to customer demand) in the future, but keep in mind that the flex section is actually considered a weak point -- some manufacturers use the flex so that their bending does not have to be as accurate -- especially since the stock EVO vibrational dampening is conducted through the stock donut gasket and the spring loaded bolts off the turbine 02 housing. (This is why the stock downpipe does not have a flex section).

Thanks

Cal
Gruppe-S

JanSolo
12-31-2003, 06:26 PM
Hello Guys!

this downpipe can clear the stock EVO lower arm bars without the need for a flex-section. Our 5 test vehicles so far have no clearnace issues, but we recommend adding spacers on the front lower arm bar for future clearance (in case stock engine mounts sag in the future).

About time someone other than Buschur was clearing the stock lower tie bars. That dp is a looker.

evo_dadi
12-31-2003, 09:49 PM
hey is this peanutbutterwolf? silver evo right?

blitzkrgCT9A
01-01-2004, 03:29 AM
hey is this peanutbutterwolf? silver evo right?

hey wassup!! :D

howiEVO8
01-02-2004, 02:11 PM
flex section would be nice...i'd consider buying it if that was the case...but then again, i dont know much aboout downpipes...do they all work they same? HKS and JIC make them also and they pricing is like above 3 bills....LS also has a $185 3" stainless steal (maybe its not SS, or maybe it is, not sure) with flex section...how the other brands any different or better ? and if the other brands are better it can't be better by that much, since the LS downpipe is 3" mandrel bent piping...and like half the price of any other 3" downpipe...it can't possibly make up in performance with it has lost in value...oreos...anyone else wanna enlight us? cuz im dying to hear your opinions

howiEVO8
01-02-2004, 02:15 PM
okay i just checked the LS 3" mandrel bent downpipe is also SS... hehe and has a flex section...but as far as it being CNC Machined, it doesn't state that so maybe someone should call them to find out...

EvolvedDSM
01-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I've run w/o a flex section in my DSMs ever since my Buschur leaked on me. It sucks when you spend $300 on a DP and have to deal with this. I sold mine for a big loss because I didn't want to repair it and bought another w/o the flex. One less thing to worry about... This Helix unit looks very nice.

howiEVO8
01-02-2004, 04:46 PM
hmm..so flex section can be bad? o.O, i thought it was a good thing...O.o, but thanks for the info...i learn something new everytime i read stuff from forums :)

blitzkrgCT9A
01-02-2004, 06:25 PM
hmm..so flex section can be bad? o.O, i thought it was a good thing...O.o, but thanks for the info...i learn something new everytime i read stuff from forums :)

please give me a call if you are interested! :) I have plenty in stock! :)

Thanks

Cal
gruppe-s

JanSolo
01-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Just picked up my Helix dp from Gruppe-S and Cal. Thanks to Cal for the deal he gave me. I wanted to install it today, but the rain god stopped me. :(

Looks tight though! I can't wait to get it installed.

http://www.jansolo.org/images/helix_dp.jpg

http://www.jansolo.org/images/helix_dp2.jpg

howiEVO8
01-03-2004, 12:17 AM
she's a beauuuuty...!

howiEVO8
01-03-2004, 12:18 AM
hmmm....K&N or downpipe...which will give me more bang for the buck? hehe

howiEVO8
01-03-2004, 12:23 AM
another question...are these CARB or DOT approved? hehe...

JanSolo
01-03-2004, 02:06 AM
Probably not. ;) I bought the HKS hi flow air filter for the Evo. Most tuners advise against getting rid of the stock airbox.

I believe Works Rally is trying to get their downpipe carb approved, so there is a nice California legal option for ya.

howiEVO8
01-03-2004, 05:45 AM
hmmm...cuz i know the vishnu DP is legal...but its hella $$$

blitzkrgCT9A
01-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey Jan, glad you like the DP! :) Please let me know if you have any questions or issues regarding this DP.

And to answer some of the questions raised by HowiEVO8. The DP is not CARB approved. But AFAIK, it is ok to have a DP as long as it does not alter the OEM emission equipment such as removing O2 sensors or replacing oem Catalytic Converter. :) and since this dp does not replace the factory cat, you will pass smog with it (the turbo itself is a working catalytic converter). However, you probably won't pass visual due to its large piping size..haha sorry..there is one trick however, it is to paint these puppies w/ high heat paint in flat black when its time for smog inspection. :)

cheers!

JanSolo
01-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Hey Jan, glad you like the DP! :) Please let me know if you have any questions or issues regarding this DP.

I only have one question for you? How do you manage to sell it at such a good price?? :)

Seriously, I installed it today (which is a total breeze) and it looks really good. All I need now is a test pipe for the Evo track day for the extra power, and I am done! I'll probably hit you up for that one, Cal. ;)

http://www.jansolo.org/images/helix_dp3.jpg

It clears the lower stock tie bars and the aftermarket Cusco type 2 bar I have installed. It fits PERFECTLY on the Evo. At first, I thought I would have to remove all the plastic shielding near the downpipe, but I was gladly incorrect. Oh, it obviously fits on the stock cat, in case anyone was wondering.

http://www.jansolo.org/images/helix_dp1.jpg

GokuSSJ4
01-05-2004, 10:09 AM
wow !! looks great , Im sure i will give you guys a call for this DP :)

vtluu
01-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Do you think heat will be an issue? I read in Sports Car Compact Magazine that RMR includes a heat shield pad you stick on the plastic cover to shield it from the heat from the downpipe.

blitzkrgCT9A
01-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Hey Vtluu,

Yeah a heat shield pad will be a great idea but it is not neccessary at this time because our test vehicles have not have any problems due to the cold weather right now. I am planning on adding a heat shield pad when the weather gets hot tho. :)

chris
01-11-2004, 01:17 PM
that looks hella nice

howiEVO8
01-12-2004, 05:45 AM
wow !! looks great , Im sure i will give you guys a call for this DP :)

DP = Double Penetration? lolzzz j/k

howiEVO8
01-12-2004, 05:47 AM
that looks hella nice

so if a cop looks under my car and sees that...what will i expect? lolz

JanSolo
01-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Depends. The stock dp comes with heat shielding and if the cop has seen the stock dp on another Evo, then you might have an issue. Another thing to consider is that this dp will change color due to the heat from the turbo - my Helix dp is a nice gold color till about half away through. Then there is the issue of crap from the road getting all over it. It is going to look dirty after a few miles of driving and is only going to get worse, so I don't know if they will be able to look under the car and see an aftermarket pipe just by looking.

Oh and the Helix logo faces upwards so you can't see it at all.

vtluu
01-12-2004, 10:58 AM
It is going to look dirty after a few miles of driving and is only going to get worse, so I don't know if they will be able to look under the car and see an aftermarket pipe just by looking.
Just to be sure, though, you can get under there with a bucket o' mud and a paintbrush... :lol:

thomas
01-15-2004, 02:24 AM
quick question: if i were to replace the dp (w/ the helix) and get the JIC cat-back, the only peice from the stock exhaust would be the cat. coverter???

the cat. sits between the dp and the rest of the exhaust, rite?

thx.

EvolvedDSM
01-15-2004, 03:54 AM
...and the O2 housing coming directly off the turbo to the downpipe.

Oh, and yes, the cat sits between the two items you mention.

howiEVO8
01-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Depends. The stock dp comes with heat shielding and if the cop has seen the stock dp on another Evo, then you might have an issue. Another thing to consider is that this dp will change color due to the heat from the turbo - my Helix dp is a nice gold color till about half away through. Then there is the issue of crap from the road getting all over it. It is going to look dirty after a few miles of driving and is only going to get worse, so I don't know if they will be able to look under the car and see an aftermarket pipe just by looking.

Oh and the Helix logo faces upwards so you can't see it at all.

okay maybe if someone buys my sub/amp/box i might have $1500 to work with hehe and get some performance goodies for my baby hehe

JanSolo
01-15-2004, 09:05 PM
I was wondering.. what do you guys look for when you are going to buy an exhaust? For me, it is three things: flow, weight and price.

howiEVO8
01-16-2004, 12:34 AM
I was wondering.. what do you guys look for when you are going to buy an exhaust? For me, it is three things: flow, weight and price.

isn't it kinda hard to measure flo?

JanSolo
01-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Well yes and no. You can get a flow bench and theoretically measure it - though I have never seen it applied to an exhaust before, but I am pretty much a car n00b.

If you look at how straight an exhaust is, you can kinda guess that it will flow better since the gas that is exiting does not get pushed around in new directions constantly. Most of the aftermarket exhausts, for instance the Vishnu exhaust, seems to have too many bends. I was looking at the Ultimate Racing and the Buschur and they look really straight.

Compare the pipe on the bottom of the pic (Vishnu exhaust).

http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/evo/image006.gif

Then look at this pipe (Buschur exhaust).

http://www.buschurracing.com/EVO8_3inCB_Large.jpg

To me there is a noticable difference in the amount of bends and the 'lack of subtlety" that the Vishnu exhaust has. In fact, it seems most of the major manufacturers seem to have the same amount of bends that the Vishnu exhaust has.

I dunno. Just something I noticed and I was wondering if anyone else though about that.

howiEVO8
01-16-2004, 04:02 AM
hmmm...i was talking to ane exhaust "expert" and he was saying that its not always true that less back pressure equals increased power....it all depends on the car or something like that oreos...

howiEVO8
01-16-2004, 04:03 AM
speaking of bushur racing supposedly one of my friends knows him personally and is really good friends hehe...maybe i should hit him up for an exhaust but then are bushur exhaust any good? hehe...i've heard they're pretty affordable or could i have misheard?

JanSolo
01-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Everyone I've talked to regarding exhausts who I feel is "in the know" state that a straighter exhaust is all around better. I mean, why go with a 3" on a stock turbo in the first place? Technically, the only thing we really need to replace on the stock setup is the exhaust since it is the biggest limiting factor on our Evos.

So I am guilty of pimping out what I bought. I own a Buschur exhaust, my previous exhaust being a WorksRally Exhale which was backpressure relieving, but ended up getting bent into a taco when I got hit in my first accident.

After getting new my black Evo and running it stock, it felt pretty slow. I attributed the slowness to the lack of the Works P2 reflash. Now that I have the Buschur cat back, I feel that that maybe the exhaust made the real difference in performance of my Evo.

Anyhow, just my two cents.

EvolvedDSM
01-16-2004, 02:21 PM
hmmm...i was talking to ane exhaust "expert" and he was saying that its not always true that less back pressure equals increased power....it all depends on the car or something like that oreos...

While this may be true for a NA car, with a turbocharged vehicle, you want the least amount of backpressure possible. Buschur has always used the straightest flow possible with his exhausts and you don't hear people complaining (except about the flex section in his DP) ;)

JanSolo
01-16-2004, 02:36 PM
I assume the pic of the downpipe on Buschur's web site is an old one?

http://www.buschurracing.com/EVO8_3inDP_Large.jpg

EvolvedDSM
01-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Hopefully, that's the design he's using (I'll confirm w/ a friend who has his turbo-back set up). I just know that his DSM DPs used a flex section. If no flex is involved and it clears the bars, you've got nothing to worry about from Dave ;)

EvolvedDSM
01-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Buschur doesn't use the flex on his EVO DP (yay), so the pic above is indeed correct.

GokuSSJ4
01-22-2004, 12:29 PM
has anypone ran the Buschur DP , does it have any clearance issues with the stock low tie bars ???

howiEVO8
01-22-2004, 12:44 PM

While this may be true for a NA car, with a turbocharged vehicle, you want the least amount of backpressure possible. Buschur has always used the straightest flow possible with his exhausts and you don't hear people complaining (except about the flex section in his DP) ;)

correct, i failed to mention he mentioned NA lolz oops , sorry o.O

GokuSSJ4
01-23-2004, 01:55 AM
my custom turbo back is similar to the BR but with the exception of running a HKS hi-power . Since the BR (not the magna) is a bit to loud and in cali it makes a difference ..