PDA

View Full Version : WORKS White Paper: Damper Curves

Jamie@WORKS
01-23-2007, 12:13 PM
The WORKS Engineering Staff has released another White Paper for your technical enjoyment:
http://www.worksevo.com/Damper_Curves_2.pdf

This is a follow up to our Spring Rate White Paper: http://www.worksevo.com/Spring_Rates_1.pdf

These two papers just provide a sample of what we deal with each day in R&D of all of our products. Feel free to discuss and ask questions.

vtluu
01-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Nice. :thumbsup: I feel all educated and stuff now. ;)

ReSin
01-29-2007, 12:10 AM
I concur with Tam...interesting read. I'm really interested in the spring rate paper as I want to increase my spring rates, but didn't know the formulas. As I started messing around with the formulas, something did add up for me. So, I have a few questions...
1. Is the SW a corner weight or is it the combined front or back weight?
2. This is what didn't add up for me. I worked the second formula coming up with WR...plugged it into the first formula (just to check my work) and came up with a different freq. Maybe I need to go back to school...don't know.
3. Shouldn't WR be the same as, if not, less than my spring rate?

Thanks for any assistance.

Dennis

Jamie@WORKS
02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I concur with Tam...interesting read. I'm really interested in the spring rate paper as I want to increase my spring rates, but didn't know the formulas. As I started messing around with the formulas, something did add up for me. So, I have a few questions...
1. Is the SW a corner weight or is it the combined front or back weight?
2. This is what didn't add up for me. I worked the second formula coming up with WR...plugged it into the first formula (just to check my work) and came up with a different freq. Maybe I need to go back to school...don't know.
3. Shouldn't WR be the same as, if not, less than my spring rate?

Thanks for any assistance.

Dennis

This is what I got back from Eric (co-author of the Spring Rate White Paper):

1. Yes, SW is a corner weight and NOT the combined front/rear weight.

2. The two formulas he is using are actually the SAME equations...just that the variables are rearranged. I'm sure if he checks his work, he'll find that they do agree.

3. I'm not too sure on this one as Ali wrote out this section...but according to the method presented in the paper: no, wheel rates should not be equal to spring rates. It is a function of motion ratio (which may or may not be 1) and a function of the kingpin angle. These effects are taken into account by formulas given in the paper.

There was also a discussion on another forum in regards to the spring rates.Â* I'll try to track down the link later.

trinydex
02-05-2007, 08:56 PM
wheel rate takes into account the sway bars. this is not the same as spring rate. just one example.