PDA

View Full Version : Nor Cal clutch install for 450 or less.

hagakure
07-01-2004, 07:37 AM
Anybody know of any REPUTABLE shops or individuals that can install a clutch for 450.00 or less? Considering upgrading to the works Clutch, but do not want to pay 900-1000 for install. Please advise.

Percy Howard

EvolvedDSM
07-01-2004, 08:50 AM
If you don't mind being a guinea pig...

I've done a dozen or so DSM clutches myself. I know this one has some differences, but the principles are the same. I've even considered taking mine apart just for the sake of doing it ;)

Does WORKS warranty their clutches? Is it the same 3-year period as on other products? Does installation factor into this (i.e. does WORKS require install done by them to honor warranty)?

vtluu
07-01-2004, 09:11 AM
I'm thinking about holding a "clutch party" sometime--get my friends to help me replace my clutch. I will provide pizza and beer (afterwards) of course. :)

At the same time I'd like to fully document the process--photos, videos, everything--and finally give what many people on this board and EvoM have been clamoring for for a long time (a clutch install how-to).

ytsejam
07-01-2004, 09:18 AM
42K miles and clutch still holding, but jamie, in case i have to be the first, i wouldn't mind :)

TylerO@WORKS
07-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Does WORKS warranty their clutches? Is it the same 3-year period as on other products? Does installation factor into this (i.e. does WORKS require install done by them to honor warranty)?

The Clutch has a warranty against defect for three (3) years when installed by an authorized WORKS Dealer.

Warranty does not cover friction material on wear items like brake pads or clutches.

brwnrice
07-01-2004, 01:01 PM
tyler, how much are you guys charging for a clutch install?

Whooopasss
07-01-2004, 02:11 PM
I might have someone in milpitas who can do it for $450 (full shop with all equipment) but it can only be done saturdays or sundays.. the mechanic has bone GST and some GSX. And he said it should be the same.. if your interested, PM me.

But then again, it will be his first evo.. if you could wait 2 months when I upgrade mine.. I'll be the first he does.. He uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled my rear diff last week. He did our integra clutch installs. The thing is, if your the first, it will take a hell a lot of time... (first time is always the hardest).. do I trust the guy.. yup....

ob4
07-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi Tam,

I am definately interested in a clutch install meet. I've a 35 gal compressor that you can borrow. Let me know if you need my help, I have done a few clutch install on my own in the past but it was for my old eg civic, and it was a lot easier then an evo.

-Terry

TylerO@WORKS
07-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi Tam,

I am definately interested in a clutch install meet. I've a 35 gal compressor that you can borrow. Let me know if you need my help, I have done a few clutch install on my own in the past but it was for my old eg civic, and it was a lot easier then an evo.

-Terry

Yeah I can install a new clutch on my honda in like 3 hours :P

EVOs are 10hrs labor... got to drop that subframe

EvolvedDSM
07-03-2004, 07:41 PM
You've been reading that manual too closely ;) Mitsubishi's way isn't always the fastest :lol: There are work-arounds to cut some time. There are some "pros" getting them in and out in about 3 hours... no subframe removal is necessary.

Yes, the first one always takes the longest, but they get progressively easier. I've can get a DSM tranny out pretty quick (a friend of mine can drop his in 45 minutes :shock: ), but you won't ever see the dealer charging that labor for a clutch job :)

wilson1
07-03-2004, 08:02 PM
You've been reading that manual too closely ;) Mitsubishi's way isn't always the fastest :lol: There are work-arounds to cut some time. There are some "pros" getting them in and out in about 3 hours... no subframe removal is necessary.

Yes, the first one always takes the longest, but they get progressively easier. I've can get a DSM tranny out pretty quick (a friend of mine can drop his in 45 minutes :shock: ), but you won't ever see the dealer charging that labor for a clutch job :)

Wow, 3 hrs for the evo? :shock:

That would be really good for everyone!

vtluu
07-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Problem is, the people who can do a 3-hour clutch job, ain't tellin' how. You'd figure that with all the hours of time they can save, they could take a few of them to do a decent write-up on how to do it.

Any idea how high you need to jack up the car? Obviously a lift is preferrable but is it absolutely necessary?

EvolvedDSM
07-04-2004, 07:12 AM
A lift isn't necessary, but is supposed to make things easier (I've never had the pleasure of using one for a tranny job, but that may soon change :)). Just keep the rear of the car on the ground, jack the front high enough so that the tranny can be pulled out once dropped. You could actually keep the tranny under the car, but it makes things kinda tight in an alreay cramped environment. You don't want to have the front of the car too high as you may run out of jack height when you get to the good stuff.

Two floor jacks or one floor jack and one motorcycle jack are very useful as you may need to adjust the angle of both the engine and tranny separately and neither are light enough to safely move with my muscles alone ;)

A second set of hands comes in handy when (un)torquing the flywheel bolts and aligning the tranny with the block.

Some associated readings:
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/clutch-1G.html
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/clutch-2G.html

I know some major differences lie with the transfer case. You'll need a slide hammer to pull the shaft, but I've also heard of using a pipe, washer and a bolt to get it out.

Other necessities:
Ford 20 clutch alignment tool
Torque wrench
Breaker bar
Shop manual/CD
Tranny/Transfer case fluid and drain bucket
Various assortment of 24, 21, 19, 17, 14, 12 and 10mm tools
Cold beverages
8-12 hours of free time, more if you hit any snags, less if you've done it before

A fully documented write-up will come from my hands at some point :)

GokuSSJ4
07-04-2004, 09:44 AM

EVOs are 10hrs labor... got to drop that subframe

3 hrs , it shouldnt be more then 1hr :?

vtluu
07-04-2004, 10:36 AM
A fully documented write-up will come from my hands at some point :)
Cool, well I'd love to help out so let me know... It would be great to learn from the master! :worthy: :D

1 hour to change the clutch? Uh, yeah... :sneaky:

TylerO@WORKS
07-06-2004, 10:51 AM

that includes beer and fast food breaks yo!

i'm talking flywheel also... from the time the car goes on the lift to the time the car drives away is about 3hrs... with a break or 2 :P

GokuSSJ4
07-06-2004, 11:28 AM
that explains it then LOL . :wink:

crapsstickman
07-06-2004, 02:20 PM
1 hour for a clutch replacement... :shock:

Now this I gotta see! You wanna test it on mine, I need my clutch out anyways. :wink:

EvolvedDSM
07-06-2004, 06:38 PM

brwnrice
07-07-2004, 12:13 AM
i think they are talking about honda clutches not evo's