PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new EVO

sharkster
07-02-2004, 01:29 AM
Dangit, I know people said to wait for the MR etc... and there are plenty of good deals on used ones but today I saw a new White EVO 8 on my way home and that was the end of that. Had 3miles on the odo and I bought it for 31, 800 out the door as a result. I just wanted a white one with the wing and no sun roof and there it was.

I'll have pix tomorrow but this is gonna be my daily driver so I won't go going crazy with the mods. I'll leave that stuff for the "other" car;)

I just wanted to say that out of the box, this thing is bad ass. It is so well balanced/poised and handles/stops so darn well. Amazing. It does have some understeer but that can be sorted out.

PS Damn those Altezza lights lol.

evo_dadi
07-02-2004, 06:46 AM
nice!! congrats with the new evo man :) is that youre "other"ride on your sig? looks tight man!!

SouthernCrane
07-02-2004, 07:05 AM
Congrats and welcome to the boards!

sharkster
07-02-2004, 07:23 AM
nice!! congrats with the new evo man :) is that youre "other"ride on your sig? looks tight man!!

Thanks Evo_Dadi! I've been wanting this car for a few years to be frank. I'm from the UK originally and we've had the car for a while there. Loved watching it in the Rallys etc... and moving here a lot of my car-nut buddies are DSM folks and a couple have gone the way of the EVO also. That's the other car indeed... It's work-in-progress and best so far was 11.1 @127.8 (with a crap 2.1 60 foot that day) however it's mostly set up for the road course. We're going to enter it into some more magazine shoot outs so it's constantly going under the knife. It also means I have space for an EVO. The wife made me swear that only one car can be down at a time though, so I'll take it slow/steady on the EVO. Out of the box this thing is unreal... So much car for the price.

sharkster
07-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Congrats and welcome to the boards!
Thanks man! Nice outfit you've got there, will have to drop by.. I'm in the Porsche Tuning biz myself so you'll have to drop by to www.akkuratpgi.com also;)

SouthernCrane
07-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Thanks man! Nice outfit you've got there, will have to drop by.. I'm in the Porsche Tuning biz myself so you'll have to drop by to www.akkuratpgi.com also;)

It's not my shop, a friend owns it, so i put it in my sig to represent for them. How big is your shop?

JanSolo
07-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Pssst! Attention NorCalEvo.net members. You might not know who Alex "Sharky" Ross is, but if you are an old pc hardware & gamer geek like myself, then you might recognize him from a little old web site called SharkyExtreme.com. Let's just say his review of Half Life made me go out and buy the game which then turned me into a PC gaming addict.

Welcome to the site, Alex and congrats on the weightless white Evo!

wilson1
07-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Welcome and Congrats on the evo!

I loved your other car too!

BluEvo
07-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Hey, nice choice of automobiles! Welcome to the boards. I know you want to have the Evo as your daily driver, but a few tweaks here and there are so damn tempting. :wink:

Buzzard
07-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Grats on the Evo! I hated the Altezza tail lights too, that's why I went out and bought the MR's when they came out. Those look much better on my Black Evo. You might want to consider getting some Evo 7 tail lights for a white one. I know Gruppe-S has them in stock.

rodw
07-02-2004, 09:33 AM
sharkster-Congrags on your new evo, I know it won't be stock for long...I remmeber seeing your 996 way back in the day at the ATP dyno day on Supraforums..the day u blew ur diff :shock: Awesome car!

sharkster
07-02-2004, 09:33 AM

It's not my shop, a friend owns it, so i put it in my sig to represent for them. How big is your shop?

It's not "my shop" either. I just help out so far;) It's not "big" since there aren't that many Porsches about but it's next door to a Porsche dealer which helps! Always has some race cars in there too.

sharkster
07-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Pssst! Attention NorCalEvo.net members. You might not know who Alex "Sharky" Ross is, but if you are an old pc hardware & gamer geek like myself, then you might recognize him from a little old web site called SharkyExtreme.com. Let's just say his review of Half Life made me go out and buy the game which then turned me into a PC gaming addict.

Welcome to the site, Alex and congrats on the weightless white Evo!

Small world eh on the internet? I still am in the industry even though I left Sharky Extreme back in 2001 after we sold it. If you're into hardware etc... check out www.cpumag.com (it's a print mag) some of write for it. Thanks so much for the kind words and I'm sorry you had to go and get hooked on games. It's a nasty habbit and garantued not to get your girls lol. Half-Life 2 isn't impressing me as much as I was hoping. At least there's Far Cry eh?

Thanks for the kind welcome and damn I love this car!!

sharkster
07-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Hey, nice choice of automobiles! Welcome to the boards. I know you want to have the Evo as your daily driver, but a few tweaks here and there are so damn tempting. :wink:

Thanks, I can't tell you how much I love this four door out of the box. The porsche wasn't as well balanced when stock...

I do want it as the daily D so maybe some "soft" mods lol. Something that would still make it fairly quiet (I have straight pipes on the 996TT), fast/stealthy. What's on the menu you guys:)?

sharkster
07-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Grats on the Evo! I hated the Altezza tail lights too, that's why I went out and bought the MR's when they came out. Those look much better on my Black Evo. You might want to consider getting some Evo 7 tail lights for a white one. I know Gruppe-S has them in stock.

Thanks Buzzard, I'll check on the MRs or EVO7's then.

Gonna say it again, I love this car. I was out on the track with my Porsche last weekend and there was a pretty much stock EVO 8 out there and it was kicking some majar buttocks.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12023

rodw
07-02-2004, 09:42 AM
I do want it as the daily D so maybe some "soft" mods lol. Something that would still make it fairly quiet (I have straight pipes on the 996TT), fast/stealthy. What's on the menu you guys:)?

ECU reflash, WORKS P2 imho :D

sharkster
07-02-2004, 09:44 AM

Cheers on that;) OK these guys are local in SF if I remember right? Is that the packadge that's about 1.5k or something, has an exhaust, DP and a chip? Something like that...

rodw
07-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Check out www.worksrally.com

sharkster
07-02-2004, 09:54 AM
http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/evo/messy.JPG
http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/evo/front.JPG
http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/evo/evo.JPG

rodw
07-02-2004, 09:57 AM
beautiful! :D

Buzzard
07-02-2004, 10:04 AM

Cheers on that;) OK these guys are local in SF if I remember right? Is that the packadge that's about 1.5k or something, has an exhaust, DP and a chip? Something like that...

I'm doing the Vinshu Stage 1+ as soon as they get the 272 cams. I thought about doing the full bang and get one of the replacement turbo kits for big HP but decided to mod this car in smaller increments. Maybe I'll use the turbo money for suspension. Vishnu is in Pleasanton.

JanSolo
07-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Needs Evo7 lights.

HL2.. is that actually going to be released? I've read recently that August looks like the release date, but I have no faith in Valve. Yet another candidate for Wired's vaporware of the year award right after Duke Nukem Forever and MS Bob 2.

sharkster
07-02-2004, 11:19 AM

Thanks Rod! I just figured I wanted the opposite of black;) I love it in white...

sharkster
07-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Needs Evo7 lights.

HL2.. is that actually going to be released? I've read recently that August looks like the release date, but I have no faith in Valve. Yet another candidate for Wired's vaporware of the year award right after Duke Nukem Forever and MS Bob 2.

For sure on the lights:P

Oh it's closer than you think. I've had various demos/play session for a while now. It'll be out but now that Far Cry came out the engine doesn't impress me as much. Doom 3 is VERY close. Duke Nukem? LOL...

1StockEvo
07-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Congrats zesharky. Always liked your porsche especially when I saw you go against I think it was Silvino and his supra.

sharkster
07-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Congrats zesharky. Always liked your porsche especially when I saw you go against I think it was Silvino and his supra.

Hehe thanks man. Yeah Sil's car is really fast. I miss running against ZO-Sik's Viper ACR and so on... Those were fun times:P

ace33joe
07-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the board, and I love your 996 TT too!

What's the maximum speed you can get in second gear on that car? I was playing GT3 at PS2, and RUF CTR2 was flying to 90 miles/h in second gear! If it's the same to 996TT, I guess 2nd gear should be enough for highway entrance. :)

jbigelow
07-02-2004, 11:22 PM
welcome and congrats on the new evo.

GREAT CHOICE ON COLOR!!!!!! ;)

BTW, your PORSCHE is BADASS!!!!!!!!!

-jbigs

EvoVIII
07-03-2004, 08:10 AM
Congrats :buds: Congrats :wave: lets hurry and go KICK IT!!!!(after U break in) or u could pull out ur ultimate Weapon and leave us all behind with dust :yikes:

sharkster
07-03-2004, 11:56 AM

Thanks man. I liked Silver and White and just decided to go white.. My other car is black so;)

sharkster
07-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the board, and I love your 996 TT too!

What's the maximum speed you can get in second gear on that car? I was playing GT3 at PS2, and RUF CTR2 was flying to 90 miles/h in second gear! If it's the same to 996TT, I guess 2nd gear should be enough for highway entrance. :)

Thanks Joe! About 79mph I think if I remember right;)

sharkster
07-03-2004, 11:58 AM

I'm doing the Vinshu Stage 1+ as soon as they get the 272 cams. I thought about doing the full bang and get one of the replacement turbo kits for big HP but decided to mod this car in smaller increments. Maybe I'll use the turbo money for suspension. Vishnu is in Pleasanton.

Good call. I would honestly do suspension. I put the JICs on my 996TT and the car handles like a dream... Power is great but you're only going in straight line some of the time;P

sharkster
07-03-2004, 12:01 PM
welcome and congrats on the new evo.

GREAT CHOICE ON COLOR!!!!!! ;)

BTW, your PORSCHE is BADASS!!!!!!!!!

-jbigs

Thanks JB I'm loving it! So much fun to drive. Brilliant out of the box... I thought I'd miss driving the Porsche but it's sitting at the shop and I'm not really missing it that much...

http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/slammed.jpg

sharkster
07-03-2004, 12:06 PM
A few more pix of the P-car... It's pushing around 700hp. More to come of course and as ever it's work-in-progress. Best so far was 11.1 @ 127.8mph (with a crap loss of traction and throttle lifting 2.1 60 foot).

http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/manong/yes7.JPG
http://www.mangogrits.com/akula/manong/yes.JPG

As for the EVO, I've been thinking about it and at least to start with I want to keep it as my daily D so is 300RWHP doable? Just a simple same day in and out thing maybe from The Works or someone. Seem doable? Plus people keep telling me with a DP, Catback, chip etc... I can do that for around 1-1.5k...

sharkster
07-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Congrats :buds: Congrats :wave: lets hurry and go KICK IT!!!!(after U break in) or u could pull out ur ultimate Weapon and leave us all behind with dust :yikes:
I'll have to... Dammit how long is break in:)? It better not be as long as I think...

We'll be kicking it soon:)

Your EVO will be kicking mine tho... I think all I've got planned for the foreseeable future is, lights, K&N drop in filter, a down pipe of some sort, an exhaust and a chip. I just want 300rwhp...

brwnrice
07-03-2004, 12:53 PM
300awhp is doable with just boltons but it's really pushing the limits of the stock injectors/fuel pump. might as well go with the works turbo kit for a realiable 300awhp :twisted:

sharkster
07-03-2004, 02:11 PM
I figured injectors and a fuel pump would be needed too. Got ya. Thanks...

I'm really liking what I'm hearing about The Works. Sounds like they really are going to cater to what I need. Plug and play pretty much:)