PDA

View Full Version : FMIC ...Which one

cleanevo
07-04-2004, 08:49 AM
There are so many on the market , what do people like , I was thinking to go with AMS , or greddy just came out with a kit that has the lower piping ,Any thoughts

GReddy_917
07-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Stick with your stock one...unless you are going for 400+ hp.

EvoVIII
07-04-2004, 09:32 AM
HKS, the overkill, oversize , R Type Intercooler is bad ass

JanSolo
07-04-2004, 09:44 AM
I would personally stick with the stock intercooler, unless the upgrade path you are adhering to specifically requires it, like the Buschur upgrade path for instance. I think the Ultimate Racing upper intercooler piping would help spool up the stock turbo a bit sooner, though it costs over 600$ for it.

GokuSSJ4
07-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Buschur , AVO or Greddy FMIC
cant go wrong with any of them. :cool:

EvoVIII
07-04-2004, 04:22 PM
why not HKS?? some 1 got it install on Evo M and he said the spool up time is almost like stock and very efficence, and he run some test on it..

warpspeed
07-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Stick with the stock unless you are changing your turbo. Also don't believe those guys on Evom that say they changed parts and felt a difference. :roll: Most of them are saying that because they don't want to look like they wasted their money. Unless they have some dyno #'s then I would believe it.

EvoVIII
07-04-2004, 06:44 PM
n e body though of getting the T67 Turbo?

david buschur
07-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Our FMIC kit comes with the lower i/c plumbing also, it is also the shortest plumbing design out of all the systems. The lower pipe is also now built from 304 mandrel bent stainless steel. Entire kit is $750. We just made 548 whp with it on our EVO.

Depending on the turbine wheel a T67 turbo is going to be super laggy for street use. We have some killer turbos out for the EVO now, check them out.

MarkSAE
07-05-2004, 06:41 PM
How much do our water sprayers help? I think people should consider using it before upgrading their FMICs. I'm sure it would help during 3rd and 4th gear pulls. I've never even used it since I got my car though.

vtluu
07-05-2004, 11:08 PM
The Evo MR does away with the water sprayer I think, in order to make room for the ACD, from what I understand.

ez76
07-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Stick with the stock unless you are changing your turbo. Also don't believe those guys on Evom that say they changed parts and felt a difference. :roll: Most of them are saying that because they don't want to look like they wasted their money. Unless they have some dyno #'s then I would believe it.

agreed, and a dyno isn't going to tell the whole story about what an intercooler's doing for you anyway, except maybe for improving performance a little under heatsoak

Buzzard
07-06-2004, 11:53 AM
The closest dyno I've seen to mimicking air flow is the one at Dinan. Iirc, it has a fan that's supposed to blow at up the 70 mph, so that would give some indication if a FMIC is helping. Of course, physics tells us that a larger surface area will increase efficiency so a larger FMIC will work better than a smaller one, all things being equal. Just remember, an IC can not take charge temp below ambient air temps. Don't know how many times I've had to point that out to people. :wink:

EVO GRIM
07-06-2004, 12:10 PM
With spray it can, right?

Buzzard
07-06-2004, 04:24 PM
With spray it can, right?

How much do you think water at a greater than ambient temperature is going to reduce the surface temp of the IC? It might reduce it a few degrees, but you still are never going to get it to ambient air temperature using water. I've never bothered to check the spray pattern, I wonder how much of the IC it covers?

The only way you can reduce the temp below ambient air is to use a cooling system like CO2 or NOS. I would only use that for drag racing though, it's about the only event that the duration is short enough that you won't run out of CO2 before it's over.

Anybody with a EGT, what is the average temp you see under normal driving conditions?

EVO GRIM
07-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Hey Buzzard go stick your finger in a can of alchohol and blow on it. Gets damn cold if you ask me. I use a fluid high in alchohol in the sprayer tank. I'm a newbe so I don't know how much it helps (hp wise) but from what I've read colder is better (more dense).

david buschur
10-11-2004, 10:36 AM
We just released a new kit. The new kit is the EXACT same large core and well designed end tanks we use on our other kit. The new kit is called the Standard kit and bolts directly in place of the stock FMIC. It requires no cutting or trimming of anything, including the undertray. Uses the stock or anyone's stock routed intercooler plumbing kits.

Difference in this kit and our Deluxe kit is the deluxe kit comes with a lower i/c pipe and couplings that is shorter routed than stock, it also requires cutting the undertray.

This high flow bolt in FMIC is only $650.

I also disagree with keeping the stock intercooler as some have said to do. Do the car in stages and the results will be good. We have now gone 11.65 at 117.88 and 11.59 at 120 mph in stock turbo'd EVO's with our parts on them.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

559EVO
10-14-2004, 10:46 AM
I'd get the AMS or Buschur,they are both really good.

10-14-2004, 11:09 AM
have u gusy check out the injen yet? i got it on mine babe, it look bling :lol:

wilson1
10-14-2004, 11:44 AM
have u gusy check out the injen yet? i got it on mine babe, it look bling :lol:

How does it compares with stock?

10-14-2004, 12:16 PM
25% bigger, looking more rectangular than stock, i dun knwo if it cooler or not but it look bling yeehaa

redevil9mr
03-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I would get a nisei comp. core fmic, I believed it's 3.7 inch thick and is very efficient. Also it is very well price.

redevil9mr
03-04-2007, 08:16 PM
But then, there is no point to upgrading to a bigger FMIC if you are still using the stock turbo. Bigger turbo and larger FMIC will be a good combo, and more worth it.

MR_06
03-04-2007, 09:42 PM
talkin bout bringin thread back from the dead.. but i guess good info for anyone who doesnt know ;)

Matz
03-04-2007, 10:57 PM
redevil9mr is on a roll with the thread defibrillation!