PDA

View Full Version : Variation on a theme: grind when shifting to 4th gear

vtluu
07-06-2004, 12:59 AM
For the past few months I've noticed a possibly-worsening problem with grinding when shifting into 4th gear under medium-high acceleration. I was trying to convince myself it was because I clutched out too early, or didn't clutch in enough, but I don't have the problem with 1-2, 2-3, or 4-5 shifts. These days I'm pretty careful about clutching in amply for 4th gear and it seems I still get the problem. It doesn't happen in easy street driving, only when I'm accelerating somewhat-to-fairly hard.

It feels much like the 5th-gear grind synchro issue that I had fixed under warranty a few months ago. :( I think I've read (on the "other" Evo website) that putting better tranny fluid in (Redline MT-90? BG Synchromesh?) can help, but on the other hand if I do it and it doesn't help, Mitsubishi is probably gonna give me a hard time about using something other than the OE fluid.

Should I:
- Change the tranny fluid (10k miles and still haven't done it yet)? (Which fluid should I use?)
- Take it to San Rafael Mitsubishi (heck of a drive but if they're gonna fix it I'll have them put in a Works clutch at the same time) and hope it'll be covered under warranty?

chrisw
07-06-2004, 07:51 AM
I read off of buschur racing that the stockclutch can fail to release (or is slow to release). it might be part of the problem.

That works clutch will bump you to ESP...

vtluu
07-06-2004, 09:06 AM
I read off of buschur racing that the stockclutch can fail to release (or is slow to release). it might be part of the problem.

That works clutch will bump you to ESP...
Not if I don't tell anybody... :sneaky: j/k Anyway I'm headed to Street Tire Index class next season, will probably end up in ST-SM sooner or later when I get the P2. :shrug:

Anyway, back on topic: I don't think it's a clutch problem because otherwise it would occur with 1-2, 2-3 and 4-5 shifts as well wouldn't it?

TylerO@WORKS
07-06-2004, 10:46 AM
We have a variety of clutches from mild to wild, we should have a clutch available that can keep you in the autocross level you want to be in.

We also offer the Brain Flash P1, which won't change your status for autocross.

EvolvedDSM
07-06-2004, 01:13 PM
I had a fourth gear issue one day at the track. I'm not sure if I overheated the OEM disk or what, but it would not go in during heavy acceleration (SS clutch line and restrictor removed). It was only a one day thing and never came back :? I have since changed fluids and installed the shifter bushings. I have yet to grind a gear since.

Oh, and I think any clutch change and/or alteration of fuel maps will kick Tam out of A-Stock ;)