PDA

View Full Version : Going from high flow cat to OEM Cat w/tune

Boostd4
02-12-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm trying to determine if putting my stock cat back on in place of my current high flow will have any detremental effects (other than just power loss) to the engine/fuel system/etc. I've got someone that is potentially interested in purchasing my car...but they want the OEM cat on the car. If anyone has any experience with doing this please chime in. My guess is that it will be fine but run a little richer?

Mods:

Vishnu Stage 1+
264/272 Cams
Cam gears set at -2 on intake and exhaust
255 fuel pump
TBE

earlyapex aka jack ass
02-12-2007, 11:26 AM
OEM cat could increase back pressure which will increase heat. The car has great safeguards to reduce timing if there is some knock so, while it will not be optimum, it should be "ok".

Boostd4
02-12-2007, 11:43 AM
OEM cat could increase back pressure which will increase heat. The car has great safeguards to reduce timing if there is some knock so, while it will not be optimum, it should be "ok".

Thanks for the info Bryan. So I'm guessing he will want to stay away from track days and such until he can retune? And will the car act "funny" during normal driving conditions?

Much appreciated!

earlyapex aka jack ass
02-12-2007, 11:50 AM
It will be fine under normal conditions.

I personally would retune it if he wants to keep the stock cat, I usually run a bit less timing with the stock cats.

PANGES
02-12-2007, 01:06 PM
As bryan already said, it should run fine. When I got my exhaust ticket, i put my stock cat and stock catback back on for a week or two and it drove fine under normal conditions. I dont know what would happen if you push it though.

lqdchkn
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM
I've got someone that is potentially interested in purchasing my car...but they want the OEM cat on the car.

Just because Mitch and I got EVO IX's doesn't mean you have to also Mike. :P

Boostd4
02-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I've got someone that is potentially interested in purchasing my car...but they want the OEM cat on the car.

Haha...going for something else brotha.

lqdchkn
02-13-2007, 08:27 PM

Haha...going for something else brotha.

Oooooo do tell.