PDA

View Full Version : Which HFC pass smog??

redevil9mr
02-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi everyone, I was wondering if the Random Technology 3 inch HFC will pass smog check?? Anyone here knows another 3 inch HFC will pass smog check also?? Thanks.

warpspeed
02-21-2007, 08:49 PM
By law it is illegal to change you stock cat. in california on obd2 cars. Just don't tell them and see what will happen.

redevil9mr
02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
I think in CA it's illegal to change ur cat when it's under 50,000 miles??? Anyone heard of it. Also CA has the lamest law i have ever heard of.

lqdchkn
02-21-2007, 09:04 PM
I think in CA it's illegal to change ur cat when it's under 50,000 miles??? Anyone heard of it. Also CA has the lamest law i have ever heard of.

law says cannot change the cat less than 5 years or 50,000 miles unless there has been physical damage that would impair operation.

So if you want a high flow cat sooner legally.Â* Â*What's to stop one from smashing it with a hammer and taking it to an exhaust shop and saying you hit something.Â* Nothing.Â* Change it when you want.

jay206
02-21-2007, 09:04 PM
anything thats not stock is illegal

lqdchkn
02-21-2007, 09:06 PM
anything thats not stock is illegal

not true you have the right to buy legal replacement parts that are not made by the manufacturer. otherwise your fram oil filter would be illegal. the government cannot tell you who to buy from.

jay206
02-21-2007, 09:09 PM
im talking about exhaust, oil filter dont have nothing to do with your smog

lqdchkn
02-21-2007, 09:14 PM
im talking about exhaust, oil filter dont have nothing to do with your smog

Doesn't matter what part it is. The government cann't tell you what brand to buy. they can only specify how the part has to perform. (i.e. smog check.) they cannot tell you it must be Mitsubishi or it must be Catco.

Think about it. If they did that no other company would make parts because you couldn't use them. ;)

MitsuMan
02-22-2007, 10:54 AM

actually is 80,000mi thats why you have and emissions warenty seperate from the regular warenty on your car.

it doesn't matter the legality of a HFC cause it won't pass smog at the tail pipe. too high HC and CO, trust me the HFC has too short of a Element to reduce the exhaust gases enough for our cars Period

byt
02-22-2007, 11:33 AM
HFC's still stink though not nearly as bad as catless. Though not very scientific, I doubt it will pass. Just slap on your stocker or if you don't have it anymore, maybe ask to borrow someone's for the test.

chrisw
02-22-2007, 11:57 AM

you can change it with a CARB approved aftermarket replacement after 50k. But there are no CARB legal aftermarket replacements available for the EVO.

spoolin
02-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Mistuman is right on the money. THe HC readings will be thru the roof with pretty much any HIGH FLOW cat. Theres a reason the stock one is so "restrictive".

MarkSAE
02-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Yep, stock cats have a high density, which is why they don't flow as well, but do a good job for emissions. "High flow" cats flow better because they have a lower density, meaning there are less "catalyzing" elements.

Jamie@WORKS
02-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Not a true HFC, but a larger inlet/outlet to help flow: http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=244

No problems passing the visual either ;)

redevil9mr
02-23-2007, 05:32 PM
On the website of random technologies, it stated that all their HFC will pass emission testing. That might be why their HFC cost a lot. It has been lab tested. Anyone heard something like this??

Boost Demon
02-27-2007, 01:23 AM
My 3" HFC I bought from exhaust depot passed the sniffer with 272 cams. My test only center guy was cool though, as long as it passed the smog test and had all the smog stuff there, he was good with it 8).

Matz
02-27-2007, 07:33 AM
When I have to go for smog testing, I'm just going to return the catback portion of my exhaust to stock, then reinstall my WORKS TBE right after. Hmm... might need to get a detune from bryan.

MarkSAE
02-27-2007, 10:16 AM
When I have to go for smog testing, I'm just going to return the catback portion of my exhaust to stock, then reinstall my WORKS TBE right after. Hmm... might need to get a detune from bryan.

Dave, the only part that affects emissions is the cat. So why not just reinstall the stock cat for the test?

You won't need to be retuned to pass smog. The tune settings only affect open loop maps. Your ECU runs in closed loop during smog testing conditions. If you plan on doing some pulls in 3rd and 4th gear w/ the stock cat and cat-back for extended periods of time, then you may need a slight de-tune.

redvolution
02-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Dave, the only part that affects emissions is the cat. So why not just reinstall the stock cat for the test?

You won't need to be retuned to pass smog. The tune settings only affect open loop maps. Your ECU runs in closed loop during smog testing conditions. If you plan on doing some pulls in 3rd and 4th gear w/ the stock cat and cat-back for extended periods of time, then you may need a slight de-tune.

Word - just unplug the battery for 30+mins, change the cat (4 bolts), drive it for half a tank (no WOT), and take it to the smog station fully warmed up. You should be fine.

spoolin
02-27-2007, 04:22 PM
dont forget to take off that ebay filter and shiny bov before u get there too!! :lol:

AreSTG
03-02-2007, 03:27 PM
take it to the smog station fully warmed up

+eleventy million.

I've gotten many cars to pass emmisions by getting them very warmed up before the test. But about going wot, we would do that(to warm it up) so i have no opinion about that. It was old peoples cars that never got floored we had to "beat on" to get them to pass. Continentals and shit...

BMan
03-07-2007, 07:51 PM
On the website of random technologies, it stated that all their HFC will pass emission testing. That might be why their HFC cost a lot. It has been lab tested. Anyone heard something like this??

Yes, the active part of the catalyst is silver. most manufacturers try to keep the silver content down.

MitsuMan
03-07-2007, 07:55 PM

Yes, the active part of the catalyst is silver. most manufacturers try to keep the silver content down.

nope. its called platnum palatium. (nobil metals)

Positron
03-07-2007, 08:10 PM
rhodium ^_^

mygsx
03-08-2007, 01:40 AM
My 3" HFC I bought from exhaust depot passed the sniffer with 272 cams. My test only center guy was cool though, as long as it passed the smog test and had all the smog stuff there, he was good with it 8).
Which/where test center did you go to?

Boost Demon
03-08-2007, 03:24 PM
^^ This guy still checked for all the smog stuff, but he was cool with the ext. WG and BOV being rerouted and not vented. I'm in Fairfield, if that don't matter then send me a PM bro.