PDA

View Full Version : upgrading turbo question

exp_arcee
02-26-2007, 06:32 PM
i was thinkn about upgrading to a evogreen turbo, and my car's all stock besides a tbe and a fuel pump installed. i was wondering if i upgrade my turbo to the evogreen what modifications would i need for my car to handle it? i heard injectors were needed but is that all? would i need to upgrade or fix up my engine? or will my engine be able to take the evogreen turbo? and will i have a lot of turbolag if i upgrade to the evogreen turbo? i was trying to talk to my cousin about upgrading to a the evogreen but he's all honda so he was telling me something about if i upgrade the turbo i'd have lots of turbo lag and engine problems.

lqdchkn
02-26-2007, 07:12 PM
add some injectors and your set.

honestly though your not close to the limits of your stock turbo without cams. smart money would be on cams. then when that's not enough power again, then get the green.

P.S. oh yeah i have cams for sale.

http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=14637.0

exp_arcee
02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
so ima need cams? well i have a evo ix so does that make a difference? haha. but all i need is the injectors tho? and my car will be able to handle the green? and would it be true that ima get lots of turbo lag and engine problems or no? will my engine be able to handle it? what kind of cams would you suggest that are good, and will pass smog/ inspection?

lqdchkn
02-26-2007, 07:23 PM
injectors for safety at a minimum and you'll be fine with a good tune.

cams if you want. that's just the order i personally like to go.

whtrice
02-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Head stud kit if your going to run the green on race gas. The green has higher boost potential.

so ima need cams? well i have a evo ix so does that make a difference? haha. but all i need is the injectors tho? and my car will be able to handle the green? and would it be true that ima get lots of turbo lag and engine problems or no? will my engine be able to handle it? what kind of cams would you suggest that are good, and will pass smog/ inspection?

exp_arcee
02-26-2007, 07:49 PM
what if i just rune it on regular vpower shell gas haha.

whtrice
02-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Yes..It would ruin it..

exp_arcee
02-26-2007, 07:58 PM
i mean run* what if i run the green with regular 91 gas?

exp_arcee
02-26-2007, 08:01 PM
wait what should my whole set up be if i install the green? would i have engine problems or no? if i install the green, and which kind of turbo would you guys prefer?

lqdchkn
02-26-2007, 08:41 PM
wait what should my whole set up be if i install the green? would i have engine problems or no? if i install the green, and which kind of turbo would you guys prefer?

to put it simply. your not even at the limit of the stock turbo but if you wanna spend the money now to buy it then by all means do it.

headstuds are a good idea also. for what you'll be able to do with the green on your current setup, i think your making a mistake buying it now. your setup is not ready for that turbo. your engine is not ready for using the green for the purpose it was meant for. thus while you will probably notice a performance gain it will not be what your expecting. i would speculate that you will only be able to get the simialer performance to your current setup with cams, injectors, a fuel pump and a good tune.

if you had those already and then upgraded to the green then you be in the turbos "sweet spot".

exp_arcee
02-26-2007, 08:55 PM
soo what kind of cams should i get that passes smog?

and if i get the cams, injectors fuel pump and a tune then i should be able to get the green? or the set up for the green would be worth it or the green would be worth buying i mean?

lqdchkn
02-26-2007, 09:09 PM
soo what kind of cams should i get that passes smog?

search the info is out there. unless you want me to build your car. :)

or the set up for the green would be worth it or the green would be worth buying i mean?

in my opinion, yes.

exp_arcee
02-27-2007, 07:13 AM
how would you build my car? haha.

Matz
02-27-2007, 07:25 AM
bryan@GST already forked out the cash for an FPGreen, so what I would do with your hard-earned money is sit on it and let it accrue interest in the bank, and wait for him to post some numbers so you know exactly how it performs. Maybe you want something that gives you huge numbers up top, or maybe you want something that spools a little faster than stock. Until we see numbers from an (IMO) unbiased tester, I'd wait.

Evo442
02-27-2007, 07:49 AM
What are you planning on doing with your evo? Daily driver? Drag Strip? Open Track?

lqdchkn
02-27-2007, 07:54 PM
how would you build my car? haha.

:X

Unless you wanna pay me. Haha. Shops charge good money to spec out a cars build-up. You can be my first customer. :lol:

jay206
02-27-2007, 08:03 PM
lolz

exp_arcee
02-27-2007, 10:58 PM
daily driver... open track maybe? haha illegal side race's? haha. so what would be the best set up for now just to be king of the streets? or atleast to smoke a 5.0 chevelle? haha. my set up right now is
evo ix, boost control boostin 19, tbe all 3'', and drop in filter.

how much gain would cam's do? or whatr would the set up be for cams? if i were to buy cams what else would i need to buy that goes with it?

or since all i really have is a tbe what should be my next step to modding my car instead of upgrading my turbo for now? thanks guys.

jay206
02-27-2007, 11:12 PM
you got you exhaust installed?

exp_arcee
02-27-2007, 11:37 PM
naww.. im just saying tho for when i do haha.

exp_arcee
02-28-2007, 07:57 AM
what should my next mods be after installing the tbe? cams...? and if yeah what should my set up be, and that will also pass smog.

whtrice
02-28-2007, 08:37 AM
Never heard of a 5.0 Chevelle..Usually 5.7 and up.

daily driver... open track maybe? haha illegal side race's? haha. so what would be the best set up for now just to be king of the streets? or atleast to smoke a 5.0 chevelle? haha. my set up right now is

how much gain would cam's do? or whatr would the set up be for cams? if i were to buy cams what else would i need to buy that goes with it?

or since all i really have is a tbe what should be my next step to modding my car instead of upgrading my turbo for now? thanks guys.

exp_arcee
02-28-2007, 08:57 AM
or the guy said he swapped to a 5.0 or something like that? honestly i have no clue when it comes to muscle cars haha.

AreSTG
02-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm betting your TBE doesn't "pass" smog check. Do you mean just the emissions test?

turboevo8
02-28-2007, 04:07 PM
If you want to go fast and have that turbo tuned correctly, you will never pass smog.

dohcvtec
02-28-2007, 05:05 PM

Swapped out a chevy small block for a POS ford 5.0? :? :lol:

Didn't chevelles also come with a 327? Maybe he dropped in a 302? :P

exp_arcee
02-28-2007, 05:33 PM
well what should my next mod be? if i don't install a new turbo? for now? i heard the 264/272 cams were good and can pass smog? but should i install cams next or naw?

whtrice
02-28-2007, 05:44 PM
The only motor option that was close to a 5.0 was a 307. That was a POS. Crappy bore to rod length ratio. Yes some Chevelles had 327's. Those could be made to run. 454's you didn't want to mess with. Headers a tune and slicks ..11.70's all day.Still entirely possible to run those numbers with the correct green turbo set up.

Swapped out a chevy small block for a POS ford 5.0? :? :lol:

Didn't chevelles also come with a 327? Maybe he dropped in a 302? :P

dohcvtec
02-28-2007, 05:49 PM
well what should my next mod be? if i don't install a new turbo? for now? i heard the 264/272 cams were good and can pass smog? but should i install cams next or naw?

That would be the case with an Evo 8, but you have a 9 so the intake cams are different.

I would be willing to bet, and this might be nice for someone to test with a 9 with cams (cosworth cams, hint hint) that can hook up to a sniffer. You could potentially tune the mivec to give less overlap creating more vacuum to pass sniffer? Isn't it usually the case that cammed cars failing smog is because of increased overlap/lift? Maybe dialing away enough overlap can make slight increased lift of the aftermarket cam negligible?

exp_arcee
02-28-2007, 06:01 PM

That would be the case with an Evo 8, but you have a 9 so the intake cams are different.

I would be willing to bet, and this might be nice for someone to test with a 9 with cams (cosworth cams, hint hint) that can hook up to a sniffer. You could potentially tune the mivec to give less overlap creating more vacuum to pass sniffer? Isn't it usually the case that cammed cars failing smog is because of increased overlap/lift? Maybe dialing away enough overlap can make slight increased lift of the aftermarket cam negligible?

i honestly didn't understand what that ment haha. sooo cosworth..? hrmmm which should i get? ... would it make me pass smog though? ohh and i was wondering should i get the weapon r aluminum intercooler piping and o2 housing and the metal intake manifold? would those be anygood for my car as well?

oh i know it's off topic from the performance mods that were talking about right now, but i was wondering which racing harnesses are good to buy? like what brand, and which are legal to have, and is 4 pt or 5 pt better? also where can you find harness bars for cheap? haha thanks.

dohcvtec
02-28-2007, 06:04 PM
You should check out the search button.

you just need the lower intercooler pipe. only get an o2 housing if getting the green turbo, skip on the manifold.

No harnesses are legal to have, you must retain your stock seat belt. get a 4pt if you don't want to drill in the floor under your seat for the 5th or 6th points.

exp_arcee
02-28-2007, 07:22 PM
sooo harnesses are illegal to have?

and where can i find the intercooler piping and cosworth cams aroudn the bay? for good deals?

but other then installing cams... is that all that i should do for my next mod?

vtluu
02-28-2007, 07:27 PM
No harnesses are legal to have, you must retain your stock seat belt.

I believe Schroth makes DOT-approved belts--so they're legal for street use. But I believe you're right in that you still have to retain the stock belts.

jay206
02-28-2007, 07:28 PM
sooo harnesses are illegal to have?

and where can i find the intercooler piping and cosworth cams aroudn the bay? for good deals?

but other then installing cams... is that all that i should do for my next mod?

how much awhp are you aiming for?

exp_arcee
02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
umm maybe around 350? or more whp? haha. but still be able to be my daily driver type of car haha.

earlyapex aka jack ass
02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
my set up right now is

With no tune?

You can gain approx 40-50wtq and approx 20-30whp from just a tune alone with those mods. I would possibly start there and then see how the car feels.

Or add some of the smaller items you where thinking like LICP, 02 housing, and then a tune and gain a little more.

Cams and 100 octane would get you close to 350whp. On 91, you would need to upgrade the turbo.

jay206
02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
get your TBE, & tune first, then think about your next mod

jay206
02-28-2007, 07:51 PM
or you can remove you MBC, run your stock boost hose, which that makes you 100% stock, then have bryan@GST tuned it.

exp_arcee
02-28-2007, 07:54 PM
my set up right now is

With no tune?

You can gain approx 40-50wtq and approx 20-30whp from just a tune alone with those mods. I would possibly start there and then see how the car feels.

Or add some of the smaller items you where thinking like LICP, 02 housing, and then a tune and gain a little more.

Cams and 100 octane would get you close to 350whp. On 91, you would need to upgrade the turbo.

so the 02 housing is a good idea to install.. or naw? and on 91 octane id have to upgrade the turbo?? .. to what kind of turbo do you suggest on getting? and for cams... would cam's be a good idea for mods after having the tbe installed? or should i save the money and upgrade my turbo instead?

dohcvtec
03-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Did you just completely ignore everything he said?

steevo8
03-01-2007, 01:58 PM
^lmao thats classic...

Bryan basicly said: "YOU SHOLD Get a o2 housing and cams"

get a ebay o2 housing some cams and have it tuned.... ASAP on the tune. And you will pick up a crap load of power out of that. Forget about upgrading the turbo for a long time.

PANGES
03-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Did you just completely ignore everything he said?

Hehe. I loved how in either this thread or one of his other threads, someone said "You should get the Cosworth cams before a new turbo" and then he goes "so what company should I go with for cams?" :blam: <-- (I've been waiting for a good time to use this smiley..)

exp_arcee
03-01-2007, 05:14 PM
soo.. cosworth cams? but what kind tho? which cosworth cams should i get that also pass smog, and what set up is needed or mods do i have to install when i install the cams as well? and can i just install the 02housing plug and play no other mods necessary?

exp_arcee
03-01-2007, 05:15 PM
sorry for all the dumb noob questions and all of that, im just a young kid that's trying to understand an evo haha.

steevo8
03-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Do your self a huge favor and go over to evom and use the search button. Doupt you will be able to pass smog with any cosworth cams

dizhungryguy
03-01-2007, 05:53 PM
get a tune first and after that if its not fast enough then get a turbo upgrade :lol:

dohcvtec
03-01-2007, 05:59 PM
everyone has asked you to search, why don't you do it?