PDA

View Full Version : Bald tires + fast turns = bad

JanSolo
01-03-2004, 10:55 PM
I can think of a thousand reasons why I should never drive fast.

I took the on ramp from 85 north to 280 south and it happened. My drivers side tires which are infamously bald decided to give out and I ended up smashing through a tree and hitting a sound wall.

My Evo is totalled. The passenger side front wheel is completely bent, front end is destroyed and the intercooler is smashed to nothingness.

I took a ton of pics of my car, which I will post up once I resize and upload them to my web server. I don't think I will have a new Evo in time for the drive/dyno day I've organized.

I guess the purpose of this post is to remind all my fellow Evo owners to get their tires rotated and not drive like a dumb ass when your tires are shit. :) Not like it will do any good saying it, but I might as well make the effort. ;)

Admittedly, I am a little traumatized when it comes to driving fast, so a break in period on a new car is probably what I need right now. That's it. Thanks for reading!

JanSolo
01-03-2004, 11:07 PM
CRUNCH!

http://www.jansolo.org/images/crash/crash5.jpg

http://www.jansolo.org/images/crash/crash4.jpg

http://www.jansolo.org/images/crash/crash1.jpg

wilson1
01-03-2004, 11:54 PM
jan,

Are you Okay?
Sorry to hear this,

Wilson

JanSolo
01-04-2004, 12:00 AM
The wife and I are both okay. The tree absorbed most of the forward motion. That tree sacrified itself for our lives.

I just want to thank all the trees out and there and let them know that the death of their brother/sister whatever will not be in vain.

DB8GSR
01-04-2004, 12:53 AM
ouch!! :? Sorry to see this happen but I'm glad you guys are okay. :shock: Cars are replaceable btw!!

If you don't mind me asking, how fast were you going
before it broke loose?

nebolic
01-04-2004, 12:54 AM
damn man, sorry to hear about your ride :-( so hopefully you're alright... btw where in cupertino r u at, i'm moved to sacramento but occasionaly i visit my parents in cupertino. also if you're interested in getting another EVO... theres a bunch up here in sac, they are selling them at MSRP... basically 30K OTD with sunroof and spoiler.. well if you're interested. Hope you recover soon (you and your car)

JanSolo
01-04-2004, 01:00 AM
I was maybe going 75mph, but I have taken that turn over and over at 90mph with no problems. Shit, I've taken it faster than that in my old 300zx TT which is way heavier and never had an issue. But, then again, I never did this on a somewhat wet road with bad tires. It was a bad idea on my part obviously, so now I'm gonna pay the price.

My friends want me to buy an STI, but I am gonna stick with the Evo. I want the handling and I've bought a decent amount of aftermarket parts for it.

vtluu
01-04-2004, 01:04 AM
:( D'OH!!! :(

I'm very sorry to hear about your car, but I'm glad to hear nobody was hurt. Cars can be easily repaired or replaced, lives less so.

wilson1
01-04-2004, 01:05 AM
My friends want me to buy an STI, but I am gonna stick with the Evo. I want the handling and I've a decent amount of aftermarket parts for it.

Good choice! :wink:

vtluu
01-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Be sure to rescue all those aftermarket parts from your old Evo... :wink:

I rotate my tires after every other auto-x. And since I got a torque wrench for Christmas, now my lugs will be properly torqued as well. :)

leif
01-04-2004, 01:50 AM
geeeeeeeeeee glad ur ok man...

jstockdale
01-04-2004, 05:28 AM
I'm speechless. It pains me to see the car in such a state, but the important thing is that you both are alright. Cars can be replaced, people much less so.

Glad to hear that you're going to stay with the Evo :) Hope everything gets worked out and we see you at the drive (or come along for a ride as a precursor to getting an Evo again :) ).

-S ...

ob4
01-04-2004, 11:57 AM
:shock: it's good that no one got hurt.

howiEVO8
01-04-2004, 12:49 PM
yeah forreals...glad you and your wife are okay...sorry to hear about ur car too = (

howiEVO8
01-04-2004, 12:50 PM
was your wife pissed that you made the turn so fast?
or was she too shocked at the moment?

JanSolo
01-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Wife was furious that night and she still is for the most part.

But, we are both sold on the safety of the Evo. I hit a tree hard, took it out, hit a wall and we are both doing fine. The car held up really well and took the crash without injuring the passengers. Furthermore, the rear doors and trunk close just fine. I've seen other people that have hit things and their whole frame looked bent to hell and they could barely open let alone close their doors.

I don't think I was taking the turn that fast, but I may be in a state of denial. I blame it on user error for not getting new tires sooner and driving as cautiously as I should have given the circumstances. I don't think I was driving too fast for ideal conditions, but since these conditions were less than ideal, I obviously should have gone slower and looked out for puddles of water on the road.

howiEVO8
01-04-2004, 01:34 PM
dangs...I feel you....I've been in that situation before...and yeah maybe it is denial, but our egos and machoness tell us otherwize...who knows?..., that's why i was asking...but yeah, the MOST important part is you're alive and no one got hurt....

(dont forget to thank GOD for the safety of you and your loved ones)....it'll keep you safer on the roads and in life...hehe...

I've been in so many situations already in which I KNOW for sure if i hadn't been driving my EVO, I would have go into so many accidents and what not...I'm also sold on the fact that the EVO is as safe as any car can get...and the fact that its frame and chasis is more than 200% more rigid than the reg. lancer is a plus...i was sold on that too...and the AWD...:)

yeah once again im sorry to hear bout your evo and but am glad that you and your wife are okay...just keep your head up and beware of minivans and asian drivers lolz (j/k)

-howie

JanSolo
01-04-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm not religious at all, so thanking god would not be the first thing on my agenda. Actually, I would thank the engineers at Mitsu for creating such a strong vehicle more than anyone else in the world. :)

I went to Stevens Creek Mitsubishi today (the place that Tam loves so much) and ended up talking to the salesguy from Capitol that I had initially purchased my first Evo from. He told me that he would get me any Evo I want for invoice. I hope he is telling the truth and not taking me for a ride.

So, now I have to decide between black, yellow or white. I think i am tired of red and need a change.

Or maybe I'll just buy a VW Bug with the sweet flower looking wheels.

wilson1
01-04-2004, 07:23 PM

:lol:
Don't forget the flowers :)

JanSolo
01-04-2004, 07:45 PM

Don't forget the flowers :)

Does the bug come in PINK??

Yeah, I will be driving a pink bug with daisy wheels, but I am still ALL MAN.

howiEVO8
01-04-2004, 07:50 PM
I'm not religious at all, so thanking god would not be the first thing on my agenda. Actually, I would thank the engineers at Mitsu for creating such a strong vehicle more than anyone else in the world. :)

I went to Stevens Creek Mitsubishi today (the place that Tam loves so much) and ended up talking to the salesguy from Capitol that I had initially purchased my first Evo from. He told me that he would get me any Evo I want for invoice. I hope he is telling the truth and not taking me for a ride.

So, now I have to decide between black, yellow or white. I think i am tired of red and need a change.

lolz...u know what i mean...you dont have to necessarily take it literally...= p

howiEVO8
01-04-2004, 07:52 PM
i heard 2004 or 2005 was the last year they will be making the Bug, EVER...oreo...

evo_dadi
01-04-2004, 11:40 PM
man!! just saw this post right now since i was in socal this weekend but its good to hear that you guys are okay and not hurt. as with your wife i think you guys are gonna need some really good quality time together to put this ong the gone and forgotten list.

JanSolo
01-04-2004, 11:42 PM
I think I made her a WHOLE lot happier when I told her I was getting the car below instead of an Evo.

http://www.quinn.echidna.id.au/Quinn/WWW/GreatAmericanRoadTrip/Roswell2K/DaisyBug.jpg

evo_dadi
01-04-2004, 11:51 PM
:shock: man i guess its a girl thing since my wife really digs the bug also.man at least make it a 1.8t. :D

JanSolo
01-04-2004, 11:58 PM
I kid. My wife *hates* the bug, hence why she bought a WRX.

So help me decide on the color for my next Evo.

Yellow, white or black??

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images/2003/evo/build/evo03_carlightningyellow_build.jpg

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images/2003/evo/build/evo03_carweightlesswhite_build.jpg

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images/2003/evo/build/evo03_cartarmacblack_build.jpg

thomas
01-05-2004, 12:08 AM
damn, after looking at the pic, its good to hear you and your wife walked out of the accident. sorry about your loss. have to look on the bright side, no one was hurt, except your evo and the brave tree.

glad to hear that youre already looking into another evo. hopefully you do get your next one for invoice...take care, mang.

ps: black looks sooooo good :D

wilson1
01-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Get black or white for stealth driving, for max show and go,Yellow.

evo_dadi
01-05-2004, 12:52 AM
white of corse :)

vtluu
01-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Yellow, white or black??

Yellow one, like this:

http://www.vtluu.net/misc/daisy.jpg

:P

leif
01-05-2004, 03:23 AM
hahah nice one tam.

i'd go black....everyone has white now.

howiEVO8
01-05-2004, 03:30 AM
now get some red city lites and make your evo look like its PMSing lolz

howiEVO8
01-05-2004, 03:31 AM
i meant red as in evil as in devil...not red as in....o.O....jasdlfj;adlsjasf

evo_dadi
01-05-2004, 05:48 AM
oohhhhhh those are nice set of wheels ;)

xchoirboy
01-05-2004, 07:59 AM
glad to hear you and the misses is ok.

JanSolo
01-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Yellow, white or black??

Yellow one, like this:

http://www.vtluu.net/misc/daisy.jpg

:P

Someone needs to wipe out Photoshop from your hard drive.. and take away your backup copies.

vtluu
01-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Cars: Rental POS

Heh. Now that's what I call "penance". :)

EvolvedDSM
01-05-2004, 12:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I made the same mistake--getting in an accident w/ my wife in the car :roll: Oh, and I've managed to total a car or two as well ;) Hope you see a new EVO back in your driveway soon.

GokuSSJ4
01-05-2004, 02:06 PM
wow !! sorry to see what happen to you , as long as you are ok is the important part . You never got your tires rotated ??? also how much milage did you have on them ..

JanSolo
01-05-2004, 02:38 PM
wow !! sorry to see what happen to you , as long as you are ok is the important part . You never got your tires rotated ??? also how much milage did you have on them ..

I did get the tires rotated, actually. But the drivers side tires were in bad need of replacement. I had around 11.5k miles on the tires.

blitzkrgCT9A
01-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Jan, Man.. sorry about the car! I am just glad that you and your wife are safe and sound!
I think you should get another RED EVO! :)

And I also want to add that these stock ADVAN tires are not great in wet. This tire is designed for summer use. Again, becareful, and happy motoring!

Cal

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 12:19 AM
so should i buy another set of rain tires?

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 12:20 AM
by rain tires, i mean ones that work great under wet weath conditions...

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 12:23 AM
sup with the flower power rims on that yellow evo? o.O

vtluu
01-06-2004, 02:34 AM
by rain tires, i mean ones that work great under wet weath conditions...

I don't think so. Just drive more conservatively (slowly & leaving yourself more room for error) in the rain! :)

howiEVO8
01-06-2004, 03:38 AM
nah i wasn't talking about the rain hehe

JanSolo
01-06-2004, 10:17 AM

The flower rims are a way for me to make both myself and my wife happy simultaneously.

I get to have an Evo again and she gets to have the cutesy factor in a car that she so wants.

vtluu
01-06-2004, 02:29 PM
See page 2, and/or this link. (http://www.quinn.echidna.id.au/Quinn/WWW/GreatAmericanRoadTrip/Roswell2K/DaisyBug.jpg)

blitzkrgCT9A
01-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Jan,

I might be interested in buying your wreck evo's motor and tranny if you can find out for me. That is if your insurance decide to total the vehicle.

Please let me know! much appreciated!

THanks

Cal

JanSolo
01-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Jan,

I might be interested in buying your wreck evo's motor and tranny if you can find out for me. That is if your insurance decide to total the vehicle.

Please let me know! much appreciated!

THanks

Cal

If they do, I am going to pull as much as I can: brakes, wheels, whatever.