PDA

View Full Version : Sealant for intercooler piping hose?

ace33joe
07-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi,

I was installing Samco silicon intercooler pipint kit today, and it seems stock rubber hoses have some sealant for assembly.

Does any one know what kind of sealant I might need to use to make it air-tight?

I tightened clamps pretty snuggly, so I don't expect any boost leak, but some sealant would be good for peace of mind.

evo_dadi
07-12-2004, 09:52 PM
no sealant on it just been there for a long time so thats why the stock piping kinda got stuck to it. either that you can use t-clamps just to be sure.

ace33joe
07-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks evo dadi.

Actually there were some white and yellowish flakes near both ends of hose. That was why I was supect there might have been some sealant.

What are T clamps? Are they something like self-locking ones?

EvolvedDSM
07-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Hairspray works wonders ;) Allows the coupling to slide on when wet and will help adhesion once it's dry.

http://www.mkiv.com/mohd/mods/others_mods/t-clamp.jpg

ace33joe
07-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Hair spray!

Wow, are you MacGyver? :)

evo_dadi
07-13-2004, 05:50 AM
hairspray makes a nice thin coat thats why ;)

as for the flakes those are from the quick dry solution that they use for the rubber to slip in right away.we used those in my old job fitting barbs on rubber hoses so its less hassle putting them in and not damage the hose.

Buzzard
07-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Hairspray works great. I blew a radiator hose in Tahoe one time and found a replacement hose at a auto shop (got to Tahoe City using duct tape to "seal" the rupture). Hose was real tight (it was about 20 degrees F outside). Remembered the hairspray trick, bought some at Safeway and the hose slid right on.

Hair spray is one of those tricks like news paper to clean windows.

MarkSAE
07-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Rubber gets sticky and adheres to mating surfaces when you compress it and put it through some heat cycles.

WWEVOVIII
12-16-2007, 04:51 PM
im looking for stock intercooling coupling does any one have one ?

RREVOVIII
12-16-2007, 05:11 PM
just use T-bolts and youll be good to go, as long as you make them tight enought youll be leak free ;)

byt
12-16-2007, 10:52 PM
i'm not a fan of tbolts. i've seen some cases of gross over tightening that have led to crushed piping not to mention the leaks that occur when the clamps are not properly seated. i'm personally using aba clamps and can't be happier :)

jbfoco
12-16-2007, 11:03 PM
i'm not a fan of tbolts. i've seen some cases of gross over tightening that have led to crushed piping not to mention the leaks that occur when the clamps are not properly seated. i'm personally using aba clamps and can't be happier :)

+1

ABA FTMFW :D :D :D :D

....Â* T-Bolt FTL

DirectorSe7en
12-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Sorry to threadjack but I got curious.

I think it was Steevo who was talking about repeated blown clamps. What are the best clamps to buy to make sure this doesnt happen?

player67
12-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Steel clamps from kragen....

DirectorSe7en
12-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Nice, thanks.

Matz
12-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Sorry to threadjack but I got curious.

I think it was Steevo who was talking about repeated blown clamps. What are the best clamps to buy to make sure this doesnt happen?

I would go with ABA clamps. Although I've never personally used them, the fact that the edges are rolled (i.e. no cutting your silicone hoses!), and also narrower than t-bolt clamps means that they'll work better. The t-bolts were a big PITA for me when I did my UICP installation. I'm actually quite surprised that I've been holding 26 psi so well.