PDA

View Full Version : Evo VIII US Spec

kamil
07-13-2004, 09:23 AM
What difference is exactly between US and Japan/Europe Evo VIII specification?

I know about:
* power (271bhp and emission standards)
* lack of AYC
* stiffer body shell (crash standards)
* 5-speed gearbox only

Anything else?

Kamil

JanSolo
07-13-2004, 09:25 AM
I think the Japanese Evo has a smaller gas tank as well.

Buzzard
07-13-2004, 09:50 AM
Don't forget the Japanese Evo is right hand drive, it's a trip driving RHD when all you ever drove was LHD cars. I thought about buying a Skyline a few years back, I was in LA and a guy was selling one that was federalized. I decided not to buy it since the insurance companies I talked to didn't want to offer me reasonable rates on the car. The Japanese version has both AYC & ACD, something that is not currently offered on US Evo's.

There is a company in FL that converts RHD to LHD cars. They buy new and used Japanese cars and convert them. I don't have the link handy but I could look it up if you need it.

kamil
07-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Nope, I do not mean LHD or RHD. I try to compare European VIII with US Spec. Evos sold here in Europe are exactly like Japs but RHD. With 6-speed box, YAC etc.

What is this US drivetrain like? Evo VI?

chrisw
07-13-2004, 11:29 AM
I think it's similar (possibly the same parts) as the EVO VII

Also the USDM models have different bumper beams (read heavy)

The gearbox is a 5 speed with a viscous coupling for the center diff. Also (very important for you) the USDM uses a different transfer case from the JDM counter part. The parts in two transfer cases are not interchangable

kamil
07-13-2004, 12:51 PM
What do you exactly mean by 'transfer case'?

chrisw
07-13-2004, 12:52 PM
The case that contains the center and front differntial. We call it the transfer case because it splits the power between the front and rear axles...

kamil
07-13-2004, 02:02 PM
IC. And what about the front diff in US Spec - is it 'open' or LSD?

There must be other reasons Evos are so cheap in US :wink:

SouthernCrane
07-13-2004, 04:07 PM
The 2K3 and 2K4 "GSRs" front diffs are open, but the RSs have a helical front type diff. The new 2K5s will have ACD and a helical front diff for all models (if i remembered correctly).

LEVIII
07-13-2004, 07:16 PM
What about the MR, isnt it going to have the ACD and the AYC? I know it will have the 6 speed, but will that swap into the us-spec VIII?

chrisw
07-13-2004, 09:46 PM
What about the MR, isnt it going to have the ACD and the AYC? I know it will have the 6 speed, but will that swap into the us-spec VIII?

depends on how much money you want to spend.

Sure it will bolt up, but then you have to deal with all the pricy electronics and wiring harnesses.....

chrisw
07-13-2004, 09:48 PM
There must be other reasons Evos are so cheap in US :wink:

I think motor vehicle sales taxes are not as high as they are in europe. I have heard that is the case in the UK at least.

kamil
07-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Are the whole US and Euro transfer cases replacable? Will I be able to put European case into US Evo 8?