PDA

View Full Version : P0300 misfire update: reflash available!!

webguy330i
07-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Well, somewhere, at least, it is.

It sure as hell isn't available here in Norcal. I have called all 4 dealerships within 30 miles of San Jose. No one knows wtf I am talking about!!

Anyhow thanks to SC for finding this out, I cannot wait to get my baby cured of this damn problem.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=88937

warpspeed
07-13-2004, 11:17 AM
I heard this also but if you have "flash" already (WORKS,Dynoflash,or Vishnu), the dealership flash for the misfire will wipe out those performance flashes. :cry: and you will be back to stock.

JanSolo
07-13-2004, 11:28 AM
Well, what someone should do is get the dealer flash and then take it to their tuner of choice so they can figure out what Mitsubishi has changed. Then the tuner could offer a reflash that both fixes the PO300 code and offers power upgrades to boot.

chrisw
07-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Well, what someone should do is get the dealer flash and then take it to their tuner of choice so they can figure out what Mitsubishi has changed. Then the tuner could offer a reflash that both fixes the PO300 code and offers power upgrades to boot.

that is not as easy as it sounds. From my experiance with the WRX, there is no practical way to "read" the EPROM inside the ECU.

It can be done, but you need to do a serious amount of reverse engineering

TylerO@WORKS
07-13-2004, 04:22 PM

that is not as easy as it sounds. From my experiance with the WRX, there is no practical way to "read" the EPROM inside the ECU.

It can be done, but you need to do a serious amount of reverse engineering

The EVO is the same way.

We are working on this right now.

1StockEvo
07-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Well, somewhere, at least, it is.

It sure as hell isn't available here in Norcal. I have called all 4 dealerships within 30 miles of San Jose. No one knows wtf I am talking about!!

Anyhow thanks to SC for finding this out, I cannot wait to get my baby cured of this damn problem.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=88937

Have you tried Serramonte Mitsubishi in Colma?

nebolic
07-13-2004, 05:34 PM
okie this probably sounds really stupid so dont flame me if i'm wrong. what if you pulled the map from a stock ecu before the fix and a ecu after the fix and run a compare of the hex values to see which ones changed? then decode it from there. Is that possible, i know it sounds so simple minded but yet is that a starting point to reverse engineering what mitsu did?

Any thoughts on this???

Nebo

EVO GRIM
07-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Sounds just like reprograming satelite cards. Not that I do that sort of thing.

CollinsT
07-15-2004, 12:07 AM
umm only some get this code hu? I have never had the engine check light come one with what you have described

DRFTR8
07-16-2004, 12:39 PM
hey guys before you guys run out and get this reflash done..i just got off the phone with chris from WORKS....and if you guys are thinking of flashing your car with the P2 then dont get the reflash from the dealer done cuz WORKS "CANT" program you ecu with the P2...the dealer changes the whole set up of the ECU... but heres the good news if you cant wait for about 3 weeks then WORKS will have a new version of their flash ready to fix that issue...but its all up to you which one you want now...reflash or P2

webguy330i
07-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Reflash is top priority for me right now, I'd get it then just wait for the Works updated P2 if you're gonna get that.

DRFTR8
07-16-2004, 12:56 PM
ok well lets head to Veracom tomorrow after the detailing

webguy330i
07-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Yer damn skimpy bietch! :)

webguy330i
07-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Hey all, I got the reflash. So far I've had 2 more instances of the p0300 issue, but none in the last 200 miles. More to come as I get more info...

JanSolo
08-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Lucky me. On the way back up from Socal, I got my check engine light. :( Had it checked last night by Pete @ WORKS and it turns out that I got a lovely P0300 code as well. I am about to hit 20k miles on my Evo (which I've owned since January!!), so it seems like perfect timing since most cars are getting this when they get around the 20k mileage point. The wife was driving at the time, and she immediately tried to push it past 5k rpm to see if it was what I suspecteed. When she did push it, she said it felt slower than usual. Bummer. Count me in as another P0300 victim. Maybe it's time for a P0300 club on NorCalEvo? ;)

webguy330i
08-04-2004, 10:17 AM
I can say I haven't had a p0300 in the last 600 miles, so for now I am content but I know it will return. =/

EvoVIII
08-04-2004, 10:24 AM
what is the P0300 code for? why would it make ur car slower?

webguy330i
08-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Peep delta:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=62955&highlight=p0300

JanSolo
08-04-2004, 10:32 AM
what is the P0300 code for? why would it make ur car slower?

:google: (http://www.google.com/search?q=p0300&sourceid=firefox&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

Click on emoticon for your answer, young one.

EvoVIII
08-04-2004, 10:47 AM
wow... random misfire.... that sucks... so once it happen, it will always happen? or just happened once and the lights turn on?

webguy330i
08-04-2004, 10:50 AM
You may or may not ever experience the problem. It's a very mysterious one the p0300. =/

EvoVIII
08-04-2004, 10:56 AM
sounds more like a virus..

webguy330i
08-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Well looks like I've talked about it behaving too much. Bout 30 minutes ago it threw another p0300, same conditions (5th gear highway cruising).

I am making an appointment to have the dealership (Veracom) diagnose it one last time (now that I have corrected my exhaust issue) and if nothing comes of it I'll be persuing a buyback/replacement vehicle. I can't take it no more!

jaytan
08-06-2004, 11:26 PM
finally i know why i'm always feeling my car running weak . i got the P0300 .i was went to WORKS .and tyler told me wait about two weeks for the new P2 to install .um...............i wait . :(

JanSolo
08-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Got the P0300 two more times in the past two days. A real, more permanent fix cannot come soon enough.

EVO GRIM
03-13-2005, 09:09 AM
I got the p0300 code yesterday getting on the highway near redline, and once before about 4 months ago on the highway also. Any new news on a fix? Looks like most cars have 15000 miles plus. Could it be spark plugs or coilpacks?

webguy330i
03-14-2005, 08:58 AM
I got the p0300 code yesterday getting on the highway near redline, and once before about 4 months ago on the highway also. Any new news on a fix? Looks like most cars have 15000 miles plus. Could it be spark plugs or coilpacks?

Nope.

Do you have an '04 or '05?

Jamie@WORKS
03-14-2005, 03:29 PM

There's an even newer fix available from Mitsu now. WORKS got it last week and is in the process of integrating it with our Brain Flash :)

webguy330i
03-14-2005, 03:33 PM

There's an even newer fix available from Mitsu now. WORKS got it last week and is in the process of integrating it with our Brain Flash :)

Are you serious???

Do you have any details on the TSB or anything?

EVO GRIM
03-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Will a brain flash mess with my xede? Also Jaime I still need to get a doughnut for the 76 downpipe and bolts and some other goodies. Keep us informed on the brain flash.

EvoKach
03-14-2005, 09:22 PM
I'll be down to get this reflash soon. Thanks for the info!

Option2
03-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Jamie-

I currently have a P2 with the P0300 fix. To get this latest version, will I have to go to the Mitsu dealer then go to you guys for the updated P2 like I had to the first time?

chrisw
03-15-2005, 01:09 PM
I had the p0300 problem while traveling to San Diego this past weekend.

After resetting the ECU a couple of times, I checked the plugs and found that I had a minor problem with the contact between the plugs and the wires. I fixed it with a small tweak to the connectors on the plug wires and have not had the problem since then.

Jamie@WORKS
03-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Jamie-

I currently have a P2 with the P0300 fix. To get this latest version, will I have to go to the Mitsu dealer then go to you guys for the updated P2 like I had to the first time?

Yes, but wait for now as WORKS will soon have the proper software. If you reflash now from the dealer, you'd be without boost control until the P2 gets properly integrated.

Jamie@WORKS
03-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Will a brain flash mess with my xede? Also Jaime I still need to get a doughnut for the 76 downpipe and bolts and some other goodies. Keep us informed on the brain flash.

The WORKS Brain Flash can work in conjunction with piggyback units.

I'll try to find the TSB... I know it's around here somewhere ;)

vtluu
03-15-2005, 02:55 PM

After resetting the ECU a couple of times, I checked the plugs and found that I had a minor problem with the contact between the plugs and the wires. I fixed it with a small tweak to the connectors on the plug wires and have not had the problem since then.
Are you sure it was a P0300? A couple other people reported bogging/misfire problems directly attributable to the Magnecor plug wires being loose, but said that they never got a CEL of any sort.

chrisw
03-15-2005, 03:09 PM

Are you sure it was a P0300? A couple other people reported bogging/misfire problems directly attributable to the Magnecor plug wires being loose, but said that they never got a CEL of any sort.

Tam, I threw a CEL about 4 times to and from SD. I have a OBDII data logger that I used to retrieve the error code and reset the ECU.

EVO GRIM
03-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Will brain flashes be available at the meet? Send me a pm Jaime if you guys have somebody representing you at the meet that could bring the dp doughnut and bolts. I'll bring ca$h! 8)

vtluu
03-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Tam, I threw a CEL about 4 times to and from SD. I have a OBDII data logger that I used to retrieve the error code and reset the ECU.
Interesting. So what we know so far is that insufficiently-seated wires can cause misfires/bogging and no CEL, or trigger a P0300 CEL; did you feel/hear any problems (bogging, etc.) associated with the CEL?

EVO GRIM
03-15-2005, 09:09 PM
First time I got a cel I felt a loss in power for a split sec. Then it was back to normal. This was on smooth highway driving about 80 mph. Last time I got it I was close to rev limit but no power loss, just saw the light go on.

chrisw
03-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Interesting. So what we know so far is that insufficiently-seated wires can cause misfires/bogging and no CEL, or trigger a P0300 CEL; did you feel/hear any problems (bogging, etc.) associated with the CEL?

The car bucks right around 4000rpm. It started with the magnacore wire install. I check the wires, and found some issues with the connection to the plugs. Fixed it, and got another CEL last night.

The CEL does not always come on right away. I felt the missfire twice on the way to work this morning. I suspect I will get a code on the way home tonight. :roll:

webguy330i
03-22-2005, 12:17 PM
So has anyone successfully gotten this version2 reflash and had it actually work for a longer term than 3-400 miles?

chrisw
03-22-2005, 02:32 PM
I got the latest reflash available from Mitsubishi.

The tech admitted to me that the only real fix for this re-flash was to allow the ECU to ignore some of the mis-fire events and continue.

However, there have been modifications to the software in general, the car seems to pull a little harder, and the gas millage is way up compared to the previous state of the ECU.

My impression is that Mitsubishi does not consider this mis-fire event to be dangerous, but more an incorrect programming of the ECU software.

I still have a minor misfire, but I can feel the ECU respond somewhat differently than before. I would like to know why I am misfiring, but for me, that could be any one of a number of things (magnacore wires, wrong heat range on the plugs, lightened flywheel, etc...)

So far I am pretty satisfied with the service I got from San Rafael Mitsubishi

webguy330i
03-22-2005, 06:00 PM

The tech admitted to me that the only real fix for this re-flash was to allow the ECU to ignore some of the mis-fire events and continue.

However, there have been modifications to the software in general, the car seems to pull a little harder, and the gas millage is way up compared to the previous state of the ECU.

My impression is that Mitsubishi does not consider this mis-fire event to be dangerous, but more an incorrect programming of the ECU software.

I still have a minor misfire, but I can feel the ECU respond somewhat differently than before. I would like to know why I am misfiring, but for me, that could be any one of a number of things (magnacore wires, wrong heat range on the plugs, lightened flywheel, etc...)

Chris do you have any information specific to this new flash? Any numbers from your work order about the equipment or TSB # or anything like that? Can you get a copy of the TSB?

I want to see if it is actually a "v2" reflash you got. And yet you still have the misfire persist yeah? SES coming on still? Is your car stock 100%?

chrisw
03-22-2005, 06:57 PM

Chris do you have any information specific to this new flash? Any numbers from your work order about the equipment or TSB # or anything like that? Can you get a copy of the TSB?

I want to see if it is actually a "v2" reflash you got. And yet you still have the misfire persist yeah? SES coming on still? Is your car stock 100%?

I don't have any of that information handy, I'll check my invoice when I get home for the TSB##. But I was assured by the Mistubishi/SRM technican that this was the very latest. Works had only just recieved this update as far as I was told. San Rafael had only recieved this update at the end of last week (or so I was told)

I actually have the CEL light on, but I suspect that was from a CAT inefficency error that I have been getting recently. the tech told me that I had one of those codes thrown too.. does not surprize me, my car is hardly stock anymore. (read above)

I did a search on the O2 sensors and @ 34k miles I am reaching the shorter end of the expected life of an O2 sensor, so that may be the problem I am having with the CAT CEL error.

In short webguy330i, I would highly recommend that you truck on up to San Rafael Mitsubishi. It's definately worth the trip. Don't waste your time dicking around with any other dealer.

chrisw
03-22-2005, 07:05 PM
webguy330i, I just refreshed my memory on your particular problem.

I will reitterate, what I have said...

do not pass go, do not collect $200, just get your arse to San Rafael Mitsubishi and get your ECU re-flashed.

Your fundemental mistake in tracking down was going to south bay dealers. In my history of owning an Eagle talon, 2 subarus, and now another Mitsubishi, I have never heard of any good dealer experiance from any south bay dealers on stevens creek blvd...

webguy330i
03-23-2005, 12:37 AM
webguy330i, I just refreshed my memory on your particular problem.

I will reitterate, what I have said...

do not pass go, do not collect $200, just get your arse to San Rafael Mitsubishi and get your ECU re-flashed.

Your fundemental mistake in tracking down was going to south bay dealers. In my history of owning an Eagle talon, 2 subarus, and now another Mitsubishi, I have never heard of any good dealer experiance from any south bay dealers on stevens creek blvd...

:lol: :lol: thanks for the info bro, I appreciate it much. Hope you work out that CEL issue, do you have a turboback? I was once running a test pipe with my buschur turboback (no longer have that btw) and after installing the buschur high-flow (catco) cat all was well.

I also have some spark plug antifoul extension thingies if you want to try that trick, they're yours for the taking.

chrisw
03-23-2005, 08:41 AM
yes I have a 3" vishnu TBE with hi-flow cat. When the temps are up for a longish period of time, the CEL will be thrown when I am switching from open loop to closed loop (or vise versa) From what I have been able to determine, one of the O2 sensors is getting a little slow to react or the TBE is causing parameters to go out of range at unexpected points on the RPM curve...

I don't know exactly, but that's the latest theory

webguy330i
03-23-2005, 02:15 PM
yes I have a 3" vishnu TBE with hi-flow cat. When the temps are up for a longish period of time, the CEL will be thrown when I am switching from open loop to closed loop (or vise versa) From what I have been able to determine, one of the O2 sensors is getting a little slow to react or the TBE is causing parameters to go out of range at unexpected points on the RPM curve...

Have you checked the voltages being reported by the sensors to determine if the secondary is just seeing too much? If that's the case, one spark plug antifoul thingy should do the trick!

chrisw
03-23-2005, 03:05 PM

Have you checked the voltages being reported by the sensors to determine if the secondary is just seeing too much? If that's the case, one spark plug antifoul thingy should do the trick!

yes. the voltages seem a bit off. The voltages seem to arrive to a value within spec, but it's a little slow.

I have also measured the temps on my exhaust manifold runners and they seem a bit high.

I suspect that I am running a little lean (full 3" TBE with no tuning, stock plugs)

Option2
03-23-2005, 03:11 PM
I doubt you are running lean. The car runs pig rich from the factory. If you take a look at a dyno run of a EVO with turbo back, the A/F is still off the chart.

chrisw
03-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I doubt you are running lean. The car runs pig rich from the factory. If you take a look at a dyno run of a EVO with turbo back, the A/F is still off the chart.

To clarify, I am most likely running leaner than I was with a stock exhaust. My runner temps are hotter than the same temps taken off an EVO that has been properly tuned.

Option2
03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Any updates? Have you had anymore P0300 CEL's since the new flash Mitsu has released?

chrisw
03-31-2005, 12:05 PM
Any updates? Have you had anymore P0300 CEL's since the new flash Mitsu has released?

negative. no P0300 CEL's

Option2
04-10-2005, 07:31 PM
WORKS--

Any updates on your P2 with the new Mitsu flash?

Muramasa
04-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Is this the second P0300 flash? or no?

TylerO@WORKS
04-26-2005, 01:29 PM
WORKS--

Any updates on your P2 with the new Mitsu flash?

Yes it is definitely available.

chrisw
04-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Is this the second P0300 flash? or no?

Not sure. It was the very latest patch available.

MitsuMan
05-24-2005, 06:45 PM
I get the Po300 Random misfire code every time I sustain rpm higher that 4800 for a duration of about 100 to 120 sec. speed dosnt matter just RPM and it is deffinately dropping a cyl or too just can't tell wich one cause it keeps setting po300 not 301 302 303 304 Godddamit

Option2
05-25-2005, 09:09 AM

negative. no P0300 CEL's

Just checking back with you since it's been a while now and I'm sure you've put on some miles with the new flash. Have you gotten any P0300 CEL's?

chrisw
05-25-2005, 09:55 AM
only one.

couple weeks ago when the weather had the potential for thunderstorms, and I had chevron gas in the tank.

Same scenario too. ~2700 rpm, ~30% throttle, switching from open loop to closed. It always occurs just before the boost kicks in.

Funny, I can run gas from Rotten robbies and have no issues, but each time I run Chevron gas, I have this issue if the weather is just right. I lived where it rained more I would be pissed....

Also, this was with a different exhaust using the stock CAT, plugs (still the original) are gapped at 0.025.

redtydsf
06-07-2005, 04:43 PM
just got my p0300 code, headed to Serramonte Mitsubishi for a reflash and new plugs. warranty covered :twisted: If you can't make it to San Rafael head over to DC/Colma and ask for Ray...Albert has left, they seem to be MOD friendly. Call ahead :D

redvolution
06-08-2005, 10:38 AM
when I had a WRX Chevron would give me CELs occasionally

redtydsf
06-13-2005, 07:05 PM
that's funny i got that code the day i filled up at chevron

Frissby
06-19-2005, 11:23 PM
I heard that if you go to the dealership to get reflashed to fix the P0300 that they lock your ECU so you can't be reflashed again, say by Vishnu or Works, is that true?