PDA

View Full Version : Engine overheating!!

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 06:14 AM
so i was doing a couple WOT pulls, and everything was fine until i stopped the car and noticed the engine temp was hot! i get home pop my hood and theres green liquid everywhere on the left side of the engine bay (coolant?) anyways im not sure, but i think a hose popped off. ive looked everywhere in the engine bay to find a hose that was dangling or somthing, but cant find anything that looks out of place. the car starts and runs fine but when the engine idles it blows out white smoke from underneath the intake manifold area on the left side. i dont know what to do now any suggestions would help

tia

Jay
03-01-2007, 06:30 AM
might have poped a head gasket,
Also look a the the turbo coolent hose.

FYI that green liquid is coolent, make sure to refill it!!!!!

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 06:36 AM
might have poped a head gasket,
Also look a the the turbo coolent hose.

FYI that green liquid is coolent, make sure to refill it!!!!!

how can i check if i popped a head gasket? what are the symptoms of blown head gaskets?

Kings Fan
03-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Get a compression tester and do a compression test on each cylinder

vtluu
03-01-2007, 09:37 AM
I don't know if a blown headgasket would spray coolant all over the place like that (don't think so), I'd first check the heater hoses and other hoses that run coolant.

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
the car starts and runs fine but when the engine idles it blows out white smoke from underneath the intake manifold area on the left side.

Is it an 05? Some of them can pop the freeze plug out of the waterpump. Yours might be one of them. There is a recall/TSB on them.

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 09:59 AM
so i found where the hose is missing, its behind the engine under the intake manifold right next to the altanator i can see coolant comming out from it when i flushed it out with water. ill get a pic up in 5 min

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 10:12 AM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i203/evo8dustu/DSC04913d.jpg

so mitsu should tow my car and fix it for free if its a recall correct?

vtluu
03-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Isn't that where the water pump freeze plug is (or rather, was)?

See this? http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=16437.0

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 10:16 AM
yes i believe so. maybe bryan can chime in

MarkSAE
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Ding ding ding.. yep, that's the water pump freeze plug popping out.

vtluu
03-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Yeah, definitely call up Mitsubishi and have them tow the car. I hope your engine's okay...

masurie
03-01-2007, 10:29 AM
ooo i think my friend (simon) was there with you when u did the pull....he was trying to buy ur car.....

anyway good luck on the sale and hopefully ur car is ok

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 10:35 AM
yeah, he was. im taking the car to mitsu right now to have them get it fixed. looks like its coverd under waranty i hope

masurie
03-01-2007, 10:37 AM
yeah, he was. im taking the car to mitsu right now to have them get it fixed. looks like its coverd under waranty i hope

with all that mods i wouldnt bring it to the dealership.....because they can easily void ur warranty......maybe bring it to local shop

Matz
03-01-2007, 10:38 AM
With your list of mods, I really hope Mitsu doesn't try to pull a fast one on you and deny the service work. Let us know how it goes!

EDIT -- hehe, masurie beat me to it by a minute.

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-01-2007, 10:56 AM
yes i believe so. maybe bryan can chime in

http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=16630.msg230987#msg230987

Matz
03-01-2007, 11:03 AM
So I don't know what a freeze plug is, but from the sound of it, you'll have to replace the whole water pump, right? If so, man I would be pissed if the dealer didn't do it, as that's an expensive fix at a shop.

MarkSAE
03-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Hmmm.. from this page, it looks like freeze plugs are just hammered in and is held in by friction.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/83818_block_plug_basics/

So a possible cause for the freeze plugs popping out is if the water pumps were manufactured on the "loose" side. I would definitely just replace the water pump. Cuz if it popped out once, it may possibly pop out again later.

Matz
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion when I didn't see a separate plug part for the water pump. But if he wants to hammer in a new one, I still have my old water pump somewhere... Don't know how one would actually do that with the pump still in the car, though!

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 11:40 AM
well the tow truck is on its way to my house. but i called el cerito mitsubishi to let them know i was coming in and to tell them my problem to only be told " there is no recall and we will charge you to look at the problem (diagnostic test)" does anybody know when the recall was made or how i can get them to fix my car for free? it should be coverd under waranty right? this is what i hate about owning a mitsubishi

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 11:41 AM
With your list of mods, I really hope Mitsu doesn't try to pull a fast one on you and deny the service work. Let us know how it goes!

EDIT -- hehe, masurie beat me to it by a minute.

yeah i hope not, but ive brought my car to el cerrito mitsu for all my oil changes and they have never said anything about my mods.

MarkSAE
03-01-2007, 11:48 AM
There's no recall for it, but there's a tech bulletin for the problem, so it should be covered if your car is still under warantee.

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 12:06 PM
There's no recall for it, but there's a tech bulletin for the problem, so it should be covered if your car is still under warantee.

okay i hope so. thanks for the help!

vtluu
03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
So I don't know what a freeze plug is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze_plug

Basically it's designed to pop out to relieve pressure if the water in your engine block freezes, to prevent your engine block (etc.) from cracking. Hence the name "freeze plug".

I imagine the way it works is that the plug has a different thermal expansion than the metal around it. When the engine is hot, it expands more than the material around it, pushing it against the hole it's in, creating a tight seal and preventing it from popping out despite the pressure on it. When the engine is freezing, it contracts more than the material around it, making it loose and easy for freezing water to pop out.

I wonder if there's some way I can just reinforce it (by welding, JB-weld, etc.) so there's no way it can pop out...

Matz
03-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I guess you can do that. But what about when you start ice racing, or whatever that crazy sport is called? :D

vtluu
03-01-2007, 12:33 PM
If I take my Evo on a polar expedition, I'd be more worried about the driver freezing than the engine, since I have no heater. ;)

PANGES
03-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Dunno if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I found this..

Make : MITSUBISHI
Model : LANCER EVOLUTION
Year : 2005
Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI MOTORS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Service Bulletin Num : 115
Date of Bulletin: APR 01, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10015713
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM
Summary: PREMATURE WATER PUMP FAILURE. MITSUBISHI TECH TALK. TO ALSO INCLUDE 2004 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION. *TT

dohcvtec
03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
That is a water pump, not freeze plug. :P

vtluu
03-01-2007, 12:57 PM
The water pump has a freeze plug on it, therefore a failure of the freeze plug could be construed as an overall failure of the water pump. Stop splitting hairs. :P

I remember looking at the water pump and thinking, "Why's there a big hole with a plug in it? WTF is the point of that?" :lol:

PANGES
03-01-2007, 01:00 PM
That is a water pump, not freeze plug. :P

Yeah i know.. lol. I read this a long time ago and thought it MIGHT be related. That or it's just early and I'm a retard..

"There are several EVOs that have had the freeze plugs blow out of the water pump or block and it's caused by the combustion gases getting past the head gasket. This will cause a pressure spike in the coolant system and push the freeze plugs out. The reason it doesn't blow the hoses off is because of the restriction in the coolant passages way in the head are enough that it will won't unless the thermostat in out."

so i figure it would blow off the pump like he said and get the whole water pump replaced under that tsb..?

Maybe i'm just stupid and misread everything.

edit: This is the post I found this quote from. (Jon@TRE)

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpost.php?p=2112293&postcount=4

Shrugs.

dohcvtec
03-01-2007, 01:13 PM
no, i had no idea the freeze plug was on the pump itself. :) my bad :P

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Update! so i took the car to mitsu and they told me they would not cover it under waranty because of all the mods. so i ended up taking it back home and am gonna try and fix it myself. i have a couple of questions to whoever knows the answers. 1. once the freeze plug comes out can it be replaced or do u have to replace the whole unit? 2.would srm mitsu repair my car with all the mods under waranty? i hear many many stories about them not caring about aftermarket mods. also if anybody has a water pump for sale with the freeze cap still inside let me know

thanks

EvoRicer
03-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Update! so i took the car to mitsu and they told me they would not cover it under waranty because of all the mods. so i ended up taking it back home and am gonna try and fix it myself. i have a couple of questions to whoever knows the answers. 1. once the freeze plug comes out can it be replaced or do u have to replace the whole unit? 2.would srm mitsu repair my car with all the mods under waranty? i hear many many stories about them not caring about aftermarket mods. also if anybody has a water pump for sale with the freeze cap still inside let me know

thanks

Show them the Tech bulletin on Page 2.Â* It should be covered since it is a Defect from the manufactuer. Nevermind here you go.

Summary: PREMATURE WATER PUMP FAILURE. MITSUBISHI TECH TALK. TO ALSO INCLUDE 2004 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION.

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 08:41 PM

thanks

Show them the Tech bulletin on Page 2. It should be covered since it is a Defect from the manufactuer. Nevermind here you go.

Summary: PREMATURE WATER PUMP FAILURE. MITSUBISHI TECH TALK. TO ALSO INCLUDE 2004 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION.

so i prnt that out and show them and they will fix it no questions asked?

EvoRicer
03-01-2007, 08:53 PM
They should.Â* Since it's a defect on Mitsu's part.Â*

Also read this...I think it's good info about Warranty Claims.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=236911&page=184&highlight=peeling+brembos

Found this too Page 186 of about Link.

Print this and bring a copy to the service manager for him to sign a formal letter on dealership letterhead that states your warranty is voided. Send a copy of that letter to your state attorney general, BBB, lawyer, MMNA and owner of the dealership. They aren't above Federal Law...

Federal Warranty Laws
1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))

The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions-related warranties -- a production warranty and a performance warranty. Theproduction warrantyrequires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. Theperformance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years/24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years/80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 08:57 PM
http://www.automotive.com/2005/49/mitsubishi/lancer-evolution/recalls/37839.html
is that the problem im having?

EvoRicer
03-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Nah looks like that one is for the Coolant hose on the Turbo. You have a problem with the Water Pump (Freeze Plug).

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 09:17 PM
alright, thanks for all the help danny

masurie
03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
so did the dealership fix the problem?

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 09:25 PM
nope... but ima go back and show them this

Summary: PREMATURE WATER PUMP FAILURE. MITSUBISHI TECH TALK. TO ALSO INCLUDE 2004 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION. *TT

masurie
03-01-2007, 09:32 PM
what made them not fixing it?

what did they say?

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 09:33 PM
"sir your car is too heavily modified for us to fix it"

masurie
03-01-2007, 09:36 PM
bring it to local shop

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 09:47 PM
yeah i will, anybody got any suggestions to a good shop?

evo8dustu
03-01-2007, 11:46 PM
so does anybody know if once the freeze plug comes out of the water pump, can i get another plug or do i need a whole new unit?

MarkSAE
03-02-2007, 07:07 AM
You can try hammering another freeze plug back in, but there's a good chance it could pop out again. I would recommend just changing it. Afterall, Mitsu even issued a tech bulletin for this problem.

PANGES
03-02-2007, 10:50 AM
You can try hammering another freeze plug back in, but there's a good chance it could pop out again. I would recommend just changing it. Afterall, Mitsu even issued a tech bulletin for this problem.

What he said. It's a failure on Mitsu's part and they can't prove your mods is what caused the waterpump failure. Try a couple other dealerships like SRM, and bring that TSB with you whenever you go.

masurie
03-02-2007, 11:06 AM
i know that veracom is pretty mods friendly.......try it out

Matz
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM

Really? They're the ones that caused all of that drama about voiding warranties at an Evo meet. Maybe they have changed their ways? I know NCE did have a meet there recently, so perhaps that is the case.

evo637
03-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Yeah right..I heard that VERACOM denied warranty to a customer for having stock cam gears, because they never actually seen one before..

evo8dustu
03-02-2007, 11:52 AM
how about serramonte mitsu? i was thinking about taking it there. btw i took off all the mods except for the cams and gears but put the plastic cover back on the gears so the engine appears to be stock

Matz
03-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I think all dealers will be a PITA, but it's possible that SRM will be the most lenient... give them a call and maybe just ask.

evo8dustu
03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
I think all dealers will be a PITA, but it's possible that SRM will be the most lenient... give them a call and maybe just ask.

alright ill do that, but im not sure if mitsu wil tow my car all the way over there. they were even hesitant to tow my car to the closest dealership in my area. might have to use my AAA towing coverage.

AreSTG
03-02-2007, 03:11 PM
depending on how concerned you are with getting screwed, I have had nothing but GREAT experiences at Roseville Mitsubishi. It's basically Sacramento(i assume you are bay area). But if you can find out on the phone that they are gunna treat you right, it might be worth the drive to have Warrentied work done. My car has been in there for two seperate problems. First time the car was dieing on me in the rain ad blowing a fuse. They couldn't fix the problem(i found the short in an 02 sensor myself) but i was NOT charged a dollar for towing from SF to Sacramento, or the diagnosis that turned up nothing. The other time i had brake deposits, i thought it was warped rotors. They looked at the car, FOR FREE, and turned the rotors FOR FREE, and i picked up the car.

They are also cool enough to give me free crush washers when i order my filters from them(dunno if that's normal?)

Check with them first(don't want to screw you into driving 3 hours), but it could be worth it.

Also, i had a 3" DP, stock cat, CatBack, BMC Drop-in filter, and a Reflash when they warrentied these claims. They even told me, "i don't know what the short is being caused by, but it looks like you have taken the ECU out before, maybe that has something to do with it", and sent me on my way, NOT black-flagged for warrenty work.

The guy i've delt with on the phone is straight forward.

evo8dustu
03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
depending on how concerned you are with getting screwed, I have had nothing but GREAT experiences at Roseville Mitsubishi. It's basically Sacramento(i assume you are bay area). But if you can find out on the phone that they are gunna treat you right, it might be worth the drive to have Warrentied work done. My car has been in there for two seperate problems. First time the car was dieing on me in the rain ad blowing a fuse. They couldn't fix the problem(i found the short in an 02 sensor myself) but i was NOT charged a dollar for towing from SF to Sacramento, or the diagnosis that turned up nothing. The other time i had brake deposits, i thought it was warped rotors. They looked at the car, FOR FREE, and turned the rotors FOR FREE, and i picked up the car.

They are also cool enough to give me free crush washers when i order my filters from them(dunno if that's normal?)

Check with them first(don't want to screw you into driving 3 hours), but it could be worth it.

Also, i had a 3" DP, stock cat, CatBack, BMC Drop-in filter, and a Reflash when they warrentied these claims. They even told me, "i don't know what the short is being caused by, but it looks like you have taken the ECU out before, maybe that has something to do with it", and sent me on my way, NOT black-flagged for warrenty work.

The guy i've delt with on the phone is straight forward.

thanks for the info, who towed your car? i called the emergency road side assistance people and when the tow truck came he told me they would charge me 150$ extra because my car is modified

mtsevovii
03-02-2007, 06:23 PM
thanks for the info, who towed your car? i called the emergency road side assistance people and when the tow truck came he told me they would charge me 150$ extra because my car is modified

$150!! :shock: ... if it was me, i would have said.
"no, you have it all wong. if you dont give me $150, ill put a bullet in your leg"

Matz
03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
I think that tow truck guy was trying to take advantage of you. He should tow you regardless of the mods.

evo8dustu
03-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I think that tow truck guy was trying to take advantage of you. He should tow you regardless of the mods.

nah, when he got there the towing company called my cell phone and told me they would have to charge me 150 extra because its "modified vehicle" -__-

PANGES
03-03-2007, 03:09 PM

nah, when he got there the towing company called my cell phone and told me they would have to charge me 150 extra because its "modified vehicle" -__-

What does that have to do with towing the car?

masurie
03-03-2007, 03:15 PM

What does that have to do with towing the car?

+1

when my old evo got broken into the towing company dont charge more because its modified....

but anyway good luck for you jeff

Endoe
03-04-2007, 12:20 AM
i just got mine fix at Fresno Mitsubishi...i have mods too but have no cams...just all the bolts...how many miles you got on your car? The dealer told me that my car has been modified but the engine has not been tampered with so they said they'll fix it under warranty...here is the specs

05 Evo 8
18K miles
Greddy FMIC kit
HKS Bov Kit
Hallman Manual Boost Controller
Invidia 02 Housing
DC Catless Down Pipe
Greddy Ehaust

have no time to take all the mods off so i took it in as it...they fix it because i didnt mess with the engine...but still the waterpump job is not performing what it is made for....you didnt upgrade to a high performance coolant or tampered with the waterpump...the dealer didnt make excuses when they wanted me to take the evo home and added the fuc#en extended warranty for extra bucks into the sales...that is why i told my friend when he bought his evo iX i not to buy any warranty..and he did no warranty at all...the dealer was like this is a high performance vehicle are you sure you dont want warranty... i said shove that high performance sh!t up your pee hole...your not cover it anyway...WARRANTY is the key word...cars that are for sports i never suggest warranties at all just the factory warranty that comes with the purchase....a$s hole$....talking about horse power and awd performance...that is what they advertise it as....that is what im using it for...but nope you been racing...no sh!t im gonna give this car to my grandma and have her drive around town with a 30K dollar car when she could get a $2000 camry....of course im racing it...it's a race car...man i could go on about their freaking excuses after you get the car from them.....:(

TogueMonster
03-04-2007, 12:35 AM
i just got mine fix at Fresno Mitsubishi...i have mods too but have no cams...just all the bolts...how many miles you got on your car? The dealer told me that my car has been modified but the engine has not been tampered with so they said they'll fix it under warranty...here is the specs

05 Evo 8
18K miles
Greddy FMIC kit
HKS Bov Kit
Invidia 02 Housing
DC Catless Down Pipe
Greddy Ehaust

Wow, you got your car covered under warranty at Fresno Mitsu with all those mods on the car? Catless even? Hmm, should I be worried about them not covering my crank walkin' Evo under the factory warranty? It's going in this week with the only mod bieng a drop in filter. *fingers crossed*.

evo8dustu
03-04-2007, 03:58 AM

05 Evo 8
18K miles
Greddy FMIC kit
HKS Bov Kit
Invidia 02 Housing
DC Catless Down Pipe
Greddy Ehaust

have no time to take all the mods off so i took it in as it...they fix it because i didnt mess with the engine...but still the waterpump job is not performing what it is made for....you didnt upgrade to a high performance coolant or tampered with the waterpump...the dealer didnt make excuses when they wanted me to take the evo home and added the fuc#en extended warranty for extra bucks into the sales...that is why i told my friend when he bought his evo iX i not to buy any warranty..and he did no warranty at all...the dealer was like this is a high performance vehicle are you sure you dont want warranty... i said shove that high performance sh!t up your pee hole...your not cover it anyway...WARRANTY is the key word...cars that are for sports i never suggest warranties at all just the factory warranty that comes with the purchase....a$s hole$....talking about horse power and awd performance...that is what they advertise it as....that is what im using it for...but nope you been racing...no sh!t im gonna give this car to my grandma and have her drive around town with a 30K dollar car when she could get a $2000 camry....of course im racing it...it's a race car...man i could go on about their freaking excuses after you get the car from them.....:(

i brought my car in, and once he popped my hood, the blue helix cam gears just blinged in his face and he told me hes not even gonna touch it >=[

AreSTG
03-04-2007, 10:24 AM
did you have the cam gears covered??

and i can't remember who came and towed me but it was roadside assitance. They never mentioned mods. towing was free.

evo8dustu
03-04-2007, 12:00 PM

and i can't remember who came and towed me but it was roadside assitance. They never mentioned mods. towing was free.

nope, stock cam gear cover doesnt fit

Matz
03-04-2007, 01:43 PM

nope, stock cam gear cover doesnt fit

Try covering it with an aftermarket or modified stock cam gear cover, then bring it back in.

AreSTG
03-04-2007, 02:18 PM
i have helix gears+stock cover... odd

edit:

are yours version2 maybe? i know they were changed and i think it was after i got mine