PDA

View Full Version : general evo reliability

roywhitep5
07-13-2004, 10:04 PM
how reliable are evolutions?

ez76
07-13-2004, 10:14 PM
i don't think they have been out long enough in this country for anyone to have more than anecdotal opinions on reliability

personally, good, but i only have 15k on the car.

vtluu
07-13-2004, 10:19 PM
The answer will also vary greatly from person to person; someone who does track days and generally drives their car at the limit more often will obviously put more of a strain on the parts... but they may also be better at maintaining the car. Few if any of us here bought their Evos to baby them so measuring "reliability" against the typical, say, Protégé ;) may not be an apples-to-apples comparison.

Buzzard
07-13-2004, 10:20 PM
I've had my Evo since April '03, I only have 4k+ miles atm though (very short commute). I have had zero problems. I drive my car hard, a lot of stop and go and other assorted "spirited" driving.

EvolvedDSM
07-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Mine is very reliable. In fact, all of my cars have been reliable. I think it all boils down to the fact that it depends on how well you take care of them.

I have beaten the ever-living crap out of a few of my DSMs, but always babied them when it came to maintenance. None of them ever let me down... ever. It was my daily drivers that got virtually no abuse, but not always the same amount of TLC that I had some issues with ;)

roywhitep5
07-13-2004, 10:31 PM
i love evos, but i've heard bad things about mitsubishi quality in general.

vtluu
07-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Well I won't kid you (or myself) by saying Mitsubishi quality is close to that of, say, Honda or Toyota, but for me the facts of the matter are quite simple: Honda or Toyota don't make the Evo, Mitsubishi does. The quality is what it is, and we Evo owners deal. You could get the same level of performance, and quality and luxury to boot, in a BMW M3--but you'll pay $20k more. We don't live in a perfect world. :)

roywhitep5
07-13-2004, 11:16 PM
have you guys had to deal with any bullshit with mitsubishi concerning warrentys? i read that they are a little shady at how they void warrenties if they find out you autocross. but maybe all car companies are like that:p

EvolvedDSM
07-13-2004, 11:20 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=02612566

roywhitep5
07-13-2004, 11:27 PM
yup thats what i read.

EvolvedDSM
07-13-2004, 11:43 PM
They (Mitsu, BMW, whoever) have a really simple argument: If you change the parameters under which you car was designed and sold to you, don't expect them to pay for something that gets broken because of it.

Looks good on paper, but it's complicated by the fact that there is some assumption being done by certain individuals/dealers. However, there are probably just as many (if not more) individuals/dealers out there who are doing business in the interest of both sides.

One argument I haven't seen presented as to why Mitsu may be quick to deny coverage is the fact that they've dealt with this before with the DSMs (Talon/Eclipse/Laser/GVR4). You'd be amazed what people could break on those things and still get covered ;) However, Mitsu and Chrysler (who was crazy enough to offer a 7/70 powertrain warranty) eventually caught on and began to deny some claims. Once these occured (and for other reasons), they affectionately become known as Satan by DSM enthusiasts.

I'm sure there are some service departments who lost their asses on certain claims and had a stern talking to by upper-level management. Well, those same service departments probably have the same people (and the same bosses) working for them and have a bit of foresight not found with those who are new to the 4G63/AWD combo.

To me, it wasn't a question. I loved my DSMs and knew I was going to get an EVO... warranty or not. I will play with it how I see fit and will deal with the service department if/when something occurs. If it's my fault, I'll take care of it. If it's not, they will :D