PDA

View Full Version : need help with my datalog!

Limeyboy
03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pLHUxmMR-dXgszVR5B1AZBg

This is a 3rd gear pull, fully warmed up, driving at aroiund 8pm last night. Id like some feedback from you guys:

1- Why does the engine load go up, then 'bounce' between 225 and 210 between 3500 to 5000 RPM? Feeling in the car is that the power "pulses" up and down - if that makes sense?? This is my main worry. Im guessing the load goes "down" after 6000 due to the boost taper, but i dont get why it bounces before it tapers. (Bad BCS?)

2- The Barometer reading was pretty constant at around 103 for the entire datalog session. Just it seems to dip lower during hard pulls. In this case, it went down 5. Is that normal?

This is a stock Evo 8 ROM (94170008) with stock maps installed. Looking at the log (timing), even with the few knock counts I am getting, its sitting in the high octane timing map, so im pretty sure that this is not down to bad gas (76 all the way)

Thanks for looking. Thanks for the help. Thanks for the replies!

Limeyboy
03-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Logged with mitsulogger BTW.

turbotiger
03-08-2007, 11:48 AM
If you're running the stock boost control setup, stock boost peaks at around 3500 rpm and then starts dropping. The stock ECU controls boost in closed loop mode, so it will attempt to correct the boost and sometimes will overcompensate.

Limeyboy
03-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks fo the feedback. So the bouncing load is "normal"?

Thanks!

ST
03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Stock VIII Rom 94170008 has :

BDEL setup for 159.4 until 3k rpms, so with BCLO of 60, it is set for load for loads of 220...

Unfortunately at 3k rpms, it starts dipping fast down to 200 load for 4k rpms...

So most likely your TBEC is kicking in ping ponging your boost to compensate for the high BDEL with your higher 220+ loads.

Limeyboy
03-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the pointers ST !

XVeloX
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
personally i would say that the load doesn't look all that funky, it is normal for it to be a little jagged, but yours isn't too bad. Seems like your car is running fine though, 5* of timing at peak is pretty good. Some evos are down to 2-3 even with no knock. Your injectors are definately working their asses off though, at 7000 RPMS you are at 91% IDC, and 7250 you topped at 94%. This does sound like a stock map as they are rich as heck up top and running 21* :). Like ST mentioned, there is lots of spiking with the stock BCS when untuned. Nothin to worry about

spoolin
03-08-2007, 01:07 PM
good god the stock timing map is aggressive! 20 degrees up top is a lot for pump gas even if you are filthy rich up top.

Limeyboy
03-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Woo :) thanks guys! great help!!!

MarkSAE
03-08-2007, 02:22 PM
good god the stock timing map is aggressive! 20 degrees up top is a lot for pump gas even if you are filthy rich up top.

Don't forget the stock boost tapers to 16psi by redline.

spoolin
03-08-2007, 02:24 PM
d'oh! you're right, thought he was on an MBC for some reason.

Limeyboy
03-08-2007, 03:19 PM
No MBC here ;) Stock boost, but will be playing with the ECU for higher boost :D

XVeloX
03-08-2007, 06:38 PM
No MBC here ;) Stock boost, but will be playing with the ECU for higher boost :D

should help those IDC's too, lean her out!!! :)

P.S. there are a handful of really good threads on EvoM (if you don't mind sorting through the junk and n00bs who get facts backasswords) if you search around especially through the EcuFlash portion of the forum.

Limeyboy
03-08-2007, 06:42 PM
P.S. there are a handful of really good threads on EvoM (if you don't mind sorting through the junk and n00bs who get facts backasswords) if you search around especially through the EcuFlash portion of the forum.

Ive been doing homework since Ecuflash came out ;) You are right, there are some real good write ups on there.

fuel/timing im happy to play with as I am right now (and infact I have done today on 2 evos already), but its the ECu based boost control im drooling over. Going to try the EvoM method as soon as I can make that new pill ;)

XVeloX
03-08-2007, 07:10 PM

Ive been doing homework since Ecuflash came out ;) You are right, there are some real good write ups on there.

fuel/timing im happy to play with as I am right now (and infact I have done today on 2 evos already), but its the ECu based boost control im drooling over. Going to try the EvoM method as soon as I can make that new pill ;)

ok well if you've been doing your hw then you know there are a few tricks that you can "add" to help with the tuning to make it a little easier. Also if you just remove the pill near the solenoid you should have decent control up to ~23ish psi from what i've read, but if you are planning on running any more the pill is a good idea.

Limeyboy
03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
So you recommend removing the pill, as opposed to costructing a new pill?

*edit* yes, I would be staying below 23 PSI. Aiming for 21. If your experience shows that no pill is as equal to a new pill at these boost levels, its saving me some work :)

turbotiger
03-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Yah, I run without the pill at the solenoid with just ecu controlling boost. Still tweaking it to get it smooth, but it works pretty well.

XVeloX
03-09-2007, 06:46 PM
So you recommend removing the pill, as opposed to costructing a new pill?

*edit* yes, I would be staying below 23 PSI. Aiming for 21. If your experience shows that no pill is as equal to a new pill at these boost levels, its saving me some work :)

yes, i've heard both ways work, not sure which is "better" as i havent done any testing myself, but know which one is quicker :wink:

Limeyboy
03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
lol too true ;)