PDA

View Full Version : Rear Speakers?

sharkster
07-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Heya folks,

Just did a bit of an overhaul to the stereo. Nothing major, a head unit, some speakers for the front and rear. Only trouble is I made an adapter plate for the fronts but my rear 6 x9's won't fit obviously. Oops. Shoulda checked instead of going by what the stereo shop said. Anyways, looks to be a 6.75 or something but does anyone have any recommendations on the rears?

Thanks!

LEVIII
07-14-2004, 07:50 PM
do you want recomends on what to put or how to put the 6X9s there?

vtluu
07-14-2004, 08:05 PM
JanSolo has put aftermarket speakers in before, so he should be able to give you all the info you need.

DRFTR8
07-14-2004, 08:21 PM
yeah the rears are 6-3/4 but the best place to check is Crutchfield...they have the specs on all vehicles... but its 6-3/4 all around the car...thats what it states

BluEvo
07-14-2004, 08:33 PM
i installed the Pioneer 6 1/2's with 6 3/4 adapters. They are a custom series for Mitsu, Toyota, GM.. etc. They fit perfectly in the rear deck. i could take a couple shots and post pics.
here you go>>>
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album21/speakerpics.jpg

warpspeed
07-14-2004, 08:48 PM
So did the adapters come with the speakers?

BluEvo
07-14-2004, 08:54 PM
So did the adapters come with the speakers?
yep, i bought them at BestBuy. the box has them labeled as 6 3/4, but they are really 6 1/2 Oversized (as printed on the grill). a good sounding set of speakers. they are 4 way, 240watts max. i wanted to test them out before i replaced the fronts. i think i will be doing that soon too. :wink:

warpspeed
07-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Cool. thanks.

sharkster
07-14-2004, 09:29 PM
OK thanks guys.. So they are that funky size in the rear also eh? Bloody hell...

Luckily in the shop we have a lot of cool tools so I took a chainsaw (well mini one) to the stock speakers and sawed off the the speaker from the bracket and drilled some holes and viola there was my adapter for the front ones. The rear ones, hmm I guess I could do the same there? Was really hoping those 6x9s would work...

Even with just a head unit and the front door speakers- what a difference. I can actually listen to music.

I'm not too keen on going full out as I don't want to make the car extra heavy. I can see this car being a bit of a track maven some day...

sharkster
07-14-2004, 09:31 PM
BTW guys working on these cars is SOOOOO much easier. I had the door panels off in like 3 minutes:)

Not sure what that plastic lunch box is behind there tho lol... I wish more cars were like the EVO in terms of not stuffing in too much shit to weigh them down. I mean can you believe the 996TT comes in at 3590 stock??? That's stupid. It took a lot just to get it down to 3280...

vtluu
07-14-2004, 09:33 PM
BTW guys working on these cars is SOOOOO much easier.
You haven't tried to put in a new clutch yet. ;)

sharkster
07-14-2004, 09:47 PM
I put these into the front:
http://www.theautophile.com/products/Blue6.html

And tried to put these in the rear lol:
http://www.theautophile.com/products/Blue69.html

Bah.. gonna have to go back to the drawing board in the rear.

sharkster
07-14-2004, 10:04 PM

ROFL yeah no kidding...

Any recommendations on that? I think a beefier clutch is going to be needed someday soon. My shit stinks already lol. I launched a couple of times last night by "accident"...It was 1am and the streets were empty and there was an STI revving at me, what was I supposed to do?

BTW Are all you guys using the B&M short shift kit? Stock isn't that bad although first and second gears seem a bit gummy still.

Buzzard
07-14-2004, 10:16 PM
I have the Kartboy shifter, honestly, it really isn't much of improvement. It's really only noticeable for 5th gear. Get the Speed-Source shifter bushings, they will help with the slop. Get both the Shifter cable and base bushings.

http://www.speed-source.net/

sharkster
07-14-2004, 10:20 PM
I have the Kartboy shifter, honestly, it really isn't much of improvement. It's really only noticeable for 5th gear. Get the Speed-Source shifter bushings, they will help with the slop. Get both the Shifter cable and base bushings.

http://www.speed-source.net/

Oh very cool idea. I think Pete mentioned that.. maybe it was Tyler?? If Works has something like that, which I think they do I might just do it there tomorrow since they're picking up the car tomorrow....

The throws are nice and short already it is that "gumminess" I'm trying to get rid off. Good rule of thumb, where there's rubber go to solid mounts and bushing:)

Thanks for the tip!

kataklyzm
07-15-2004, 07:10 PM

ROFL yeah no kidding...

Any recommendations on that? I think a beefier clutch is going to be needed someday soon. My shit stinks already lol. I launched a couple of times last night by "accident"...It was 1am and the streets were empty and there was an STI revving at me, what was I supposed to do?

BTW Are all you guys using the B&M short shift kit? Stock isn't that bad although first and second gears seem a bit gummy still.

soooo what happened with the STi? :D

sharkster
07-15-2004, 09:48 PM
He musta been stock or something (ok I heard an exhaust) but he went down:P

BluEvo
07-16-2004, 09:04 AM
+1 for the EVO! :P

sharkster
07-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Hehe... yeah well. There's always somebody faster:P And it's not usually me...

bdking57
07-19-2004, 12:40 PM
those speaker grills are sweet.. did you say those are sold seperately or did they come in the speaker box

BluEvo
07-19-2004, 03:13 PM
those speaker grills are sweet.. did you say those are sold seperately or did they come in the speaker box
the grills are sweet! it all came in the kit. the 6 1/2's the 6 3/4 adapters, and the grills. i was going to go without the grills and just cover it up with the factory ones, but i really like the look of the grills. so i did a few tweaks to make em look nice in the rear deck.

bdking57
07-20-2004, 09:02 AM
If someone is looking for aftermarket speakers of the best quality for reasonable price, i would definately go with infinity.. its hard for anything to beat their sound. When i installed for a few years in high school for circuit city i was sure to check out just about every speaker i had the oppurtunity of hearing and they always came out on top for the amount of money you pay, they wont give you that coole grill look though. Also, the stock speaker wiring reall should be replaced with much high gauge wire for the better sound.. it makes a big difference, and your speakers will only sound as good as the the signal they area receiving.

BluEvo
07-20-2004, 10:13 AM
If someone is looking for aftermarket speakers of the best quality for reasonable price, i would definately go with infinity.. its hard for anything to beat their sound.
i hear you on that one. i wanted to get the infinity set up, but i didn't want to spend to much on the car audio goodies.

Also, the stock speaker wiring reall should be replaced with much high gauge wire for the better sound.. it makes a big difference, and your speakers will only sound as good as the the signal they area receiving.
imo, the whole system has to go. lolz. but, if you change the speaker wires, then you have to replace the deck to be able to get the most out of the speakers and wires. then the amps, subs and monster cables, then good fuse connectors, and a capacitor........opps sorry. i get carried away when it comes to toying with cars. it's an addiction.
i just can't win when it comes to car modding. the wife says it's my weakness. i call it my bread and butter! :wink:

sharkster
07-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Well I popped in those Pioneer's (they're about $120) and the sound is a little better now. I have mismatched speakers in the front and rear but at least they fit lol...

A friend of mine is going to help me put in one of those soundstreem 4 channel amps so it'll sound a-ok I think. Right now it's a bit "tinny".