PDA

View Full Version : My 1 wk mods review: 264's, 3" TB, Xflash

WOT
07-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Hello All-

I know people post this cr@p all the time, but here's my take on the above-mentioned products. I will evaluate the products at the time of each install.

The car was completely stock before anything, besides A K&N drop in filter.

1st I installed a 3" turboXS dp. I noticed a slight response increase in partial throttle applications during normal / spirited city driving. No loss in "tip-in" response, off idle or ver low throttle / low rpm applications. I did notice a sound level increase within the cabin.

2nd, I installed my new cat & custom 3" exhaust. WOW, there was a noticable power increase everywhere (noticed spool up during city driving during partial throttle areas too) & the gains are amazing above 5K. The car now pulls in 3rd gear like it did in 2nd, easily to7K! I did notice some low rpm / high throttle knock! The exhuast that I built is a little loud in the cabin for my wife & kids taste.

So upon installing my cams, I noticed the porcelins of my plugs to be "White", not as white as they were when I installed them, but very close. So some of the gains I realized were due to the car running much leaner, closer to a best power target or slightly to lean. I was running NGK BR8eix plugs.

3rd-5th mod's: 264 cams with stock cam gears, walbro 255 & Xflash. There is a lope with my cam & gear set-up @ idle, not bad & the car hasnt died either. The weather out here in santa clarita has been between 95-105. Yes, the A/C is definitely on!

The car is very smooth, both in partial throttle & WOT applications. The car easily revs to 7,300-7,500 & it still wants to pull even further in 3rd gear :D I am impressed that the 264 cams make very strong power, so high up the revs.

In saying that, I think I am a little disappointed with a lack of 4K-5K punch?! Maybe I am deceived due to no power dip or a sudden rise in the Ps curve with the stock ecu with only mod #2? Maybe a dyno tune w/adj. cam gears might move the power where I want it? There is virtually no loss of city driving with this set-up, from backing the car out of a parking spot or taking off from a light going up hill! Truly impressed. There is more power in the middle of the rev range than with the stock cams, except I dont know if that came from cams, boost increase, timing & or all the above??

Oh, boost spikes to about 1.48 bar & tapers down to 1.32 bar. Full 1.48 bar of boost by 3000 revs in 3rd gear.

I really like the drivability of the car, I havent gone though a tank of gas, so I dont know the fuel consumption. I bet it will be bad during the 1st tank, as I have been flooring it more now!

In saying all that, the car hauls ass. This is how the car should have come from the factory! Except a bit quieter!

WOT
07-27-2004, 01:24 PM
I went through my 1st tank of gas & got 209 miles out of it. Before the mods, I was getting ~195. During the 209 mile tank, I have definetely been enjoying the power, so I am expecting the next tank of gas to go even further, probably ~215/220. This is all city driving.

Another thing I have noticed, is that I must be getting some knock (unheard). Because if I reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery, my idle goes up to about ~1100 rpm & after 3 or 4 days of driving, the idle speed settles down to about ~850 rpm.

This was the same before the mods too.

DB8GSR
07-27-2004, 01:40 PM
what's your new whp now? Do you mind posting the graph?

:D

WOT
07-27-2004, 02:17 PM
No dyno graph yet. Dont worry, I will gladly post my dyno sheet after that happens. When? Not for a while, due to a lack of funds! I just enrolled my daughter into preschool.

Hell, I am so broke now, I cant even afford to pay attention!

ob4
07-27-2004, 03:46 PM
I also just got the stage 1+ with 264/272 and cam gears set to -2/-2. The power is smoother, and i get more power with less boost. I used to get around 240lb/ft torque around 3500, but boost was set at 23psi, now my peak boost at 3500 is 21psi. Also, the entire torque curve has been bumped up from 2500 rpm and on.

-ob4

WOT
07-27-2004, 03:52 PM
ob4- have you tried any different cam gear setting other than -2/-2?

Are using an xede or just the xflash?

ob4
07-27-2004, 06:37 PM
wot, i have not get the chance to try different setting, my guess is that by changing the overlap, I might be able to get rid of some of the lobeppiness.

-Terry