PDA

View Full Version : hks hi power drone

BUDLoNG
07-18-2004, 05:52 PM
i installed an hks hi power cat back... and immediately i was annoyed by the bass drone at any rpm... i dont think i could have installed it incorrectly, and from what i;ve read, this is supposed to be one of the quieter catbacks.

can anyone with an hks catback tell me if it drones in their car too? I just got back from SD, and my head is buzzing.

thanks!
BUDLoNG

BUDLoNG
07-18-2004, 09:46 PM
bump

EvoVIII
07-19-2004, 04:35 AM
well it sorty rumble and have a deep tone, not very loud but enough to make the Alarms go off at nearby car. check other the sound of other exhaust on this page, it have the HKS Hi power in it too, see if it's sound like the 1 u have http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/modules.php?set_albumName=album57&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

BUDLoNG
07-19-2004, 01:31 PM
i researched before i got the hks, so i heard all the sound clips at norcalevo..
its not intolerable at idle.. its when i get on the gas in any gear at any speed.. its sooooooooo damn bassy and it reverberates through the cabin... even with the windows rolled up, on the freeway at 2500rpm is pretty hellish. I was running catless with a greddy evo cat back on my wrx and it was no where near that loud... ???

BUDLoNG

EvoVIII
07-19-2004, 03:59 PM
then I think you should let some expert look at it, because is not too bad when I got my HKS Carbon Ti installed, is just a little louder then stock and feel alot better at high boost

nebolic
07-19-2004, 09:35 PM
i think somethings wrong with your catback cause I have the same one and I don't hear that drone. Actually I think my exhaust is the quietest one out of all the ones tested.

Nebo

vtluu
07-19-2004, 10:15 PM
Good luck with that and let us know what you find, as this is one of the catbacks I'm considering. (Yes, I will finally mod the car! ;))

BUDLoNG
07-20-2004, 09:48 AM
can anyone think of what the problem can be? a squirrel in the resonator maybe?
:)

EvolvedDSM
07-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Check all the connections and make sure none are loose. Run you hand around the flanges and try and feel for any escaping air. Double check you clearance to see if your rubbing against something on the car. Otherwise, it could be a product defect (or it could be "normal").

WOT
07-20-2004, 11:07 AM
What type of cat are you running? I have to be honest, there is virtually no referneces made to cabin noise with aftermarket exhaust changes.

You might want to install a silencer immediately after the cat to reduce the bass inside the car?!?!?!?!

Besides, you have to take what people say here with a grain of salt. I am especially refering to having someone say "oh, this exhaust is slightly louder than stock" all the while they are blasting gangster rap that can be heard a block away!!!

If they dont think their music is loud in the 1st place, how & the hell are they able to hear an exhaust note difference!!!

Buzzard
07-20-2004, 11:28 AM
My gangsta rap can only heard from half a block away!

BUDLoNG
07-20-2004, 11:32 AM
i checked all the flanges.. no leaks... and no rubbing..
maybe i do have a defective unit..:(

i have the stock cat in place btw...

there is a resonator right after the cat (its part of the hks midpipe)

WOT
07-21-2004, 08:43 AM
What could contribute to the drone, something break off within the resonator or muffler? i.e. perforated tube? I am having troubles drawing a conclusion to the cause?

I would put the stock exhaust back in for the mean time & have a good look @ the muffler & resonator. Its not like there are any moving parts or parts to wear out, other than the packing material?

BUDLoNG
07-21-2004, 01:53 PM
im gonna take it off this weekend and see if anything is out of whack..