PDA

View Full Version : who has cams?

bluevoiix
03-20-2007, 02:02 AM
first off i dont know if this would be the correct forum to post in but i was wondering who has cams in thier car, because i am thinking about buying cams for my car but i want to retain the driveability, and i was wondering if anyone in the concord area would maybe meet up with me so i can hear them?? probly a stupid question but i guess it doesnt hurt to ask? thanks, Chris

whtrice
03-20-2007, 07:20 AM
You have an 8 or 9?

first off i dont know if this would be the correct forum to post in but i was wondering who has cams in thier car, because i am thinking about buying cams for my car but i want to retain the driveability, and i was wondering if anyone in the concord area would maybe meet up with me so i can hear them?? probly a stupid question but i guess it doesnt hurt to ask? thanks, Chris

bluevoiix
03-20-2007, 07:13 PM
i have an evo 8

lqdchkn
03-20-2007, 07:15 PM
I do. Buy them PLEEEEEEEEASE.

http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=16813.0

dabaysevo
03-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Not that it helps but I use to have cams when I had my VIII. Â*It will not affect drivability if it is tuned right. Â*I had HKS 272's other than the lope at idle it drove like stock.

spoolin
03-20-2007, 07:34 PM
i had works 269 cams on my evo 8 (now for sale on ebay... shh.....) and they drove great and idled like stock. Now i have buddyclub 272s... they lope a little bit more but yielded a lil more top end... i live in walnut creek if u'd ever wanna meet up and get a ride!

bluevoiix
03-22-2007, 07:29 AM
thanks guys i aprreciate it, spoolin ill pm you my number, thanks

XVeloX
03-22-2007, 11:13 AM
^ lol a little late man he had em up on ebay and they finished last night around 7PM...

Matz
03-22-2007, 12:05 PM
^ lol a little late man he had em up on ebay and they finished last night around 7PM...

How much?

XVeloX
03-22-2007, 12:15 PM

How much?

$321 i believe... freakin steal... spoolin has been tryin to sell them for almost a month now on here and just wanted to get the money back from the new 272's he has. I back him up and everything, but damn i would have sold em for more :?

spoolin
03-22-2007, 01:46 PM

I think he was referring to the "i wanna see your car/get a ride" but i could be mistaken lol....

How much?

$321 i believe... freakin steal... spoolin has been tryin to sell them for almost a month now on here and just wanted to get the money back from the new 272's he has. I back him up and everything, but damn i would have sold em for more :?

Good luck bro, theres absloutley NO demand for cams right now. just look at lqdchkn. Hes had em up the for months. I had to do what i had to do. I only took a loss of like 20 bucks from upgrading to 272's and i made some more powa! I wouldve liked to have sold em at like 400... but it is what it is!

awdaddict
03-22-2007, 01:47 PM

I think he was referring to the "i wanna see your car/get a ride" but i could be mistaken lol....

How much?

Good luck bro, theres absloutley NO demand for cams right now. just look at lqdchkn. Hes had em up the for months. I had to do what i had to do. I only took a loss of like 20 bucks from upgrading to 272's and i made some more powa! I wouldve liked to have sold em at like 400... but it is what it is!

I always have demand for them... but I don't wanna spend $ on parts until I could buy em all and tune it all at once.
<-- budget racer

spoolin
03-22-2007, 03:00 PM
word.

bluevoiix
04-01-2007, 01:49 AM
pm sent sorry it took so long

DJMic0
04-01-2007, 05:45 AM
I just put some cams into my Evo 8 and the idle is EXACTLY like stock and you can barely hear them in your engine. I have 264/272 hks cams. If you do get cams, i suggest cam gears and a full exhuast system as well. Be sure to get your car tuned afterwards so you can maintain you car's performance...

AreSTG
04-01-2007, 08:39 AM
I just put some cams into my Evo 8 and the idle is EXACTLY like stock and you can barely hear them in your engine.

+1 for hks 272's as well. i'm sure every car is different, but my car sounds stock

bluevoiix
04-05-2007, 01:00 AM
cool hopefully going to pick up some 272s this week...

spoolin
04-05-2007, 10:35 AM
you can adjust your cam gears with 272's to idle like stock.. Every car is different, but i know Bryan has a +1 intake, -1 exhaust setup and it sounds dead stock!

Liquid-R1
04-05-2007, 10:45 AM
I have HKS 272/272's, stock gears, and it has a lump to it. Initially, without a tune, it was pretty lumpy. When I got it retuned, the idle is a lot better but there is some lump to it.

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 11:08 AM
And this is why i think there is a problem with my car... I have 272's, cam gears set at -1/-4 (opening up overlap by 3 degrees which should smooth idle) and yet my car sounds like this... (turn your speakers/headphones up, kinda hard to hear since i recorded on my phone...)

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_53975312&shared_name=4br827g87y
http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_53975310&shared_name=12v4ac63vi

It idled exactly the same with 0/-2 which is less overlap, and with it at +1/-1 it still loped the same. Got a P0335 and a P0340 a few times, but there's no way....

ApexVIII
04-05-2007, 12:10 PM
im installing my BC 264/272 tomorrow. i hope they are lumpy i love the sound of cams

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-05-2007, 12:35 PM
you can adjust your cam gears with 272's to idle like stock.. Every car is different, but i know Bryan has a +1 intake, -1 exhaust setup and it sounds dead stock!

Lol, I wouldn't say stock but its not as lumpy as it was before I tuned most of it out.

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
And this is why i think there is a problem with my car... I have 272's, cam gears set at -1/-4 (opening up overlap by 3 degrees which should smooth idle) and yet my car sounds like this... (turn your speakers/headphones up, kinda hard to hear since i recorded on my phone...)

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_53975312&shared_name=4br827g87y
http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_53975310&shared_name=12v4ac63vi

It idled exactly the same with 0/-2 which is less overlap, and with it at +1/-1 it still loped the same. Got a P0335 and a P0340 a few times, but there's no way....

Which 272's? That is lumpy as hell. You sure you aren't a tooth off or something?

spoolin
04-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Which 272's? That is lumpy as hell. You sure you aren't a tooth off or something?

... XveloX have tried everything. HE just got a timing job done at GST with no luck.... we've done numerous combinations with the cam gears, as long as many many other tests... with no luck. We're running out of ideas. It could be a crank angle or cam angle sensor problem, (might be off a nudge who knows..) or possibly a bent cam. The only thing is that his car runs great EXCEPT for the idle problem... which causes me to believe it cant be either of our two suspicions.

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 02:11 PM

haha ya i know. they are HKS's. One thing to note is that it seems like the idle has always been fairly rough. For a while -1/-4 was mediocre and not too lumpy, but after the new timing and balancer belt you guys (well not YOU but mike and the gang) put in it still idles really rough... ALso, for many when you hit the AC switch the idle goes higher and smoother, for me it stalls the car... I assume GST checked the timing to make sure i wasn't off a tooth?!?!

Mike and i discussed some possibilities, mostly regarding cold start and idling at 2300 RPMs :shock: but i want to check into the tune to see what is off. Im stumped... maybe mike can jump in and give some thoughts since he worked on it. Any ideas bryan?

EDIT: things i have checked but will go over again:
-inj scalings
-inj battery voltage latency comp
-all the desired idle maps
-ISCV maps
-mike suggested finding a map that is coolant temp and idle enrichment... gonna have to see if anyone has found that... BTW all the maps listed above are either stock or have unchanged for a long time i.e. inj scaling and latency are the ones ive used for a long time and FT's are in check. Idle is bumped up 100 RPMs to 945, but everything else is stock...

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Till i remembered im a college kid, who wants to start autox'in with no money, I was contemplating buying a used set of HKS 272's that DRFTR8 had up for $350 to see if it was either a bent cam of some sort or if myevostore.com sent me 280's :shock: back in the day lol

ST
04-05-2007, 02:23 PM
EDIT: things i have checked but will go over again:
-inj scalings
-inj battery voltage latency comp
-all the desired idle maps
-ISCV maps

-mike suggested finding a map that is coolant temp and idle enrichment... gonna have to see if anyone has found that... BTW all the maps listed above are either stock or have unchanged for a long time i.e. inj scaling and latency are the ones ive used for a long time and FT's are in check. Idle is bumped up 100 RPMs to 945, but everything else is stock...

what injectors are you using, the scaling and voltages...have you checked your iacv itself?

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-05-2007, 02:27 PM
ISCV usually just makes the car want to stall or go all crazy, that is different. However putting AC on and stalling could be a ISCV problem, or a vacumn problem. Same with injectors, it will go rich/lean and dip raise, not really effect such tight lopes like that but anything could be possible

What timing are you running at idle? Scaling ? What voltage offset at 14v

What vac is your boost gauge showing at idle?

Also check your MAF to make sure it's clean, are you using a open air filter?

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 02:31 PM
RC 750's (as per sig :wink:)

636cc scalings

Latencies:

Old Latencies that seemed ok also:

Have not checked the iacv itself, but that's a whole nother issue. My throttle body from works still leaks like sh*t. At closed throttle and WOT it would only hold ~4psi (the rest shooting out the shaft seal :?) and holding the throttle ~%50 got it up to ~15psi or so... my old throttle body leaked a little but not too bad..there's another thread on this though...

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 02:33 PM
ISCV usually just makes the car want to stall or go all crazy, that is different. However putting AC on and stalling could be a ISCV problem, or a vacumn problem. Same with injectors, it will go rich/lean and dip raise, not really effect such tight lopes like that but anything could be possible

What timing are you running at idle? Scaling ? What voltage offset at 14v

What vac is your boost gauge showing at idle?

Also check your MAF to make sure it's clean, are you using a open air filter?

timing: i can check, gimme a few (i have a test in 30 min im supposed to be studying for :shock:)
scaling/voltage: see above
Vac: actually i can check the clip i just posted above, i took that today... that's the zeitronix unit...
Intake: back to stock till i fix my car (i.e. idle and EGT's...)

ST
04-05-2007, 02:38 PM
RC 750's (as per sig :wink:)

636cc scalings

Latencies:

Old Latencies that seemed ok also:

Have not checked the iacv itself, but that's a whole nother issue. My throttle body from works still leaks like sh*t. At closed throttle and WOT it would only hold ~4psi (the rest shooting out the shaft seal :?) and holding the throttle ~%50 got it up to ~15psi or so... my old throttle body leaked a little but not too bad..there's another thread on this though...

Your old voltage values are more aligned to the correct specs, i would use those to start. Looks like you still have a lot of issues on ur car that needs to be resolved before setting this though.

you could also play with the cam gears and get less overlap if you're concerned with the lumpy idle.

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 02:39 PM
yes i know :? the other issues are frustrating as well. Where do i start?

timing at idle?!?!?

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_54009860&shared_name=hipx3ta6gs

ranges from 0 to 10-11 in some spots... stock values...

also, judging by my +11% FT at idle, i would say the vacuum leak from the tb is having some effect...

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 02:41 PM
you could also play with the cam gears and get less overlap if you're concerned with the lumpy idle.

see:
http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=17208.msg258915#msg258915

ST
04-05-2007, 02:47 PM

see:
http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=17208.msg258915#msg258915

ouch (sorry didnt read the other parts of the thread :X)......id fix the basics first (maybe even putting back to stock map temporarily...then work from there...in engineering, when things go wrong, you go back to square 1. but i;d give gst another go at it to double check everything.

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 02:50 PM

see:

ouch (sorry didnt read the other parts of the thread :X)......id fix the basics first (maybe even putting back to stock map temporarily...then work from there...in engineering, when things go wrong, you go back to square 1. but i;d give gst another go at it to double check everything.

my thoughts exactly. what i WANT to do is put my old tb back on slight leaks and all. But WORKS has not been very helpful or easy to reach :sigh: i can try stock map again, but i just did that too :? see why im stumped? not to mention it's my DD, so i cant tear it apart in the parking structure.

My plan was to take it back to GST when i get home (in 6 weeks though) after finals, but i dont know if i can afford a full diagnostic check of my motor to figure out the problem. Family financial issues came up, so considering i am keeping the car for now is what im most thankful for...

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 05:14 PM
logging/tuning tonight. gonna go with old latencies... anything else while im at it? i have time to tear a few things apart, but nothing too too crazy

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 10:52 PM
just got back from tuning/logging. the new latencies made the car idle horrible at first, but once it took it idled a tiny bit better. But during the horrible idle i think i found the problem. It also explains every other problem i have had. I took some vids too, will post up when im back in my dorm. Im up chillin with spoolin in san marcos, but when i get back you hear all about it. I'm about 90% sure my injector on cylinder 2 is "sticky" it clicks super loud, even louder than the others. And when the idle was funky, it sounded like something was literally rattling around. More on this in about 45 min... parking permit expires now...gotta leave

XVeloX
04-06-2007, 12:47 AM
notice the huge dip in IPW, and the spike in AFR to 17.1 :shock: gonna post videos when its not this late, test tomorrow too :?

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_54081200&shared_name=g03yg24gyn

that dip feels like fuel cut, it makes the car surge forward and studder.

Funny thing is every time i accelerate from 2k RPMs the car makes a really odd and loud click noise, if i accelerate hard it does this. I am about 90% sure it is on cylinder 2, which is also where my EGT probe is. This makes perfect sense that a sticky injector would cause higher EGT's on that cylinder if it's having "issues" delivering fuel. This would also affect idle, as that injector clicks super loud (video). I took a video of the studder too, but it's hard to tell cause of all the road noise... more tomorrow.

SORRY FOR THE THREAD JACK, BUT THIS PROBLEM HAS PLAGUED ME FOR MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone know of a way to test injectors easily? Also gotta find somewhere who will sell me just 1... Or is there a good way to clean them so this wont happen again? F*CK!!!!!!!!! happy that i know, pissed at how dumb it is... maybe just get some octane booster/injector cleaner crap to clean injectors? try that then buy new one if that doesnt fix it?

turbotiger
04-06-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't think a sticky injector would show up in the logs as a dip in IPW. The ecu would send the correct signal to the injector, but the injector would not fire. What you're seeing is the ecu actually pulling fuel.

XVeloX
04-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't think a sticky injector would show up in the logs as a dip in IPW. The ecu would send the correct signal to the injector, but the injector would not fire. What you're seeing is the ecu actually pulling fuel.

Ya i wasn't sure about that, you are probably right there. What originally lead me to this was the choppy idle when i changed the latencies. It literally sounded like rocks in a tin can, but not from the engine, but from the injector. I have always had one that clicks noticably louder than the others. My huge vacuum leak could also be the problem, but most of my symptoms point to a funky injector...

turbotiger
04-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Yah, you've got multiple problems going on there. You're probably right with your injector though. I think you can use the obd diagnostics to shut off one of the injectors.

XVeloX
04-09-2007, 03:26 PM
well this may not mean a WHOLE lot, but for anyone interested and might possibly have a solution for me to try:

Btw, i got the fuel system cleaner and have driven i dunno 40 miles so far and the car runs a little smoother and doesnt lope as hard, but still lopes the same (just doesnt buck the car forward and back as much).

So this is a clip of the injectors clicking away (i missed the part where when the idle was really funky the one injector sounded like there were parts flying around inside)
http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_54829144&shared_name=in6ql8u89p

This is my car with the "old" latencies dialed in: a little better, the lopes are occasionally broken up...
http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_54827816&shared_name=xmey7qc2p9

This is elliot's (spoolin's) car with nearly identical mods (injectors, fp, cams, downpipe, hfc, RSR GTII catback, and his cam gears are set at -1/0 which should make his car lopier (+1 to his overlap) where my car (the second one) is set at -1/-4 which should decrease overlap by -3 and smooth idle. His car is a little bit cold but still the comparison...also the only differences are that i have a high pressure fuel pump and he has a low pressure fp, both walboros though. Could that affect this? I also have a 10.5 hotside on my 03...
http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_54827884&shared_name=47cq6i32iz

Lastly this one is hard, so don't worry too much, but it's a video of the fuel cuts @ ~2000ish RPMs also where i get this funky clanking sound like a really loud clutch chatter, but it does it on and off throttle. Literally sounds like i'm tossing rocks around somewhere (but could be the injector clicking really funky, i'll try to get a video of it at some point. Everytime you see the camera dip, that's when it does it, i think at the very end it doesnt and you can hear how the car should sound, but you can hear it start to rev and then stop. I don't take my foot off the trottle right when that happens...
http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_54827874&shared_name=fxcc15fv1d

again, sorry for the cell phone vids but i have nothing else at the moment... The studdering happens at that RPM every time if i go more than maybe 25% throttle... hmmmm any thoughts?

P.S. works is having me call em tomorrow or wed, they should have the tb shaft seals in and might actually send me out a non-borked tb this year!!!!! woohoo!!!!!!

XVeloX
04-09-2007, 05:24 PM
help bump!

spoolin
04-09-2007, 05:36 PM
help out a buddy b/c we tried everything and are ready to give up on life bump

XVeloX
04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Anybody? Por Favor? im in san diego for another 5 or so weeks, and i want to get this sorted out before then so i can feel more comfortable for my first autox event may 20th? Otherwise i'll wing it and bring it to GST for some much needed help. *sigh* i was hoping the timing belt / timing itself was off but the car idles the same and is still a pain to drive sometimes...calling works for my throttle body today...

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Maybe try swapping stock injectors back in? What plugs are you using again? Have you checked those.

Sorry if that has been covered already.

XVeloX
04-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Maybe try swapping stock injectors back in? What plugs are you using again? Have you checked those.

Sorry if that has been covered already.

i think matz currently has my set of stock injectors. I have another set at home though, i can try it.

Plugs are fresh, just put in some BPR7ES gapped at .025

The car runs great otherwise (well only ~19.5-20ish psi till i get a TB that works) at WOT. I did a 4th gear log the other night running 10.8-11.0 the whole way with lots of timing and no knock. What worries me the most is the stupid fuel cut thing... i can check plugs to make sure they are gapped right, but if they werent i thought it would show up more at redline with lots of stuff happening.

The only other thing is that right now my battery is shot. Trying to get myevostore to send me a nisei but their paypal is jacked and i need to use some money i have in there to pay for it since it's so damn expensive. who else carries?

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-11-2007, 01:54 PM
A new mini battery?

This is where I get mine:

http://www.portablepower.com/

XVeloX
04-11-2007, 02:03 PM
what about the tray?

and $102 is a lot for the PC680... i've seen them for $85-90

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=ody-pc680

is it free shipping?

KevOVIII
04-11-2007, 10:08 PM
$20 instant rebate at checkout but you have to pay for shipping. That's where I got mine from.

http://www.portablepower.com/items/batteries/SLA/1/Hawker%20Odyssey/PC680/0769-2016/SL105/37L105S5