PDA

View Full Version : The Wife's WRX - UTEC powered

JanSolo
07-22-2004, 01:29 PM
She just got one of these installed and tuned. Spent about 3 - 4 hours last night road tuning it and another 1 hour today at lunch doing some more. Myself and a friend were over at the south San Jose IBM doing said tuning when we happened upon two different Evos. One was a white one with lots of tint, the other looked like a brand new silver one, both of which turned into the IBM campus.

Anyhow, with the UTEC in the WRX, the performance is like night and day. A little bit of smoothing on the boost and this thing will be a winner. The 04 WRX used to pull lots of timing at above 5k rpm, where as with the UTEC, it keeps on pulling like a champ. A Helix downpipe and a Borla Hush catback, and DONE.

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album27/utec1.sized.jpg

Here is the output from the UTEC during logging.

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album27/utec_wrx.sized.jpg

Thanks to Odyss3y for hooking me up and helping me out.

odyss3y
07-22-2004, 01:31 PM
whirred.... boost maps need smoothing instead of the 5-10 gradient jumps we've got in there now... should be 2-3 at the most in the 3k-5.5k range @ >60% load

webguy330i
07-22-2004, 04:23 PM
Nicely done sir.

EvoVIII
07-22-2004, 05:05 PM
no clue how to read that thing

toasty
07-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Strange that I understand how to read it, but I dont understand the TPS%, MLP, and the AFR.
What does those mean?

JanSolo
07-22-2004, 05:40 PM
AFR = air/fuel ratio
TPS% = throttle position sensor percentage
MLP = map load point

Trust me, this is not for the average guy on the street to pick up and just use. You really have to understand just what the hell you are doing before you can use this.

At that point, you can see I was not pushing hard at all via the TPS percentage and that the WRX was running pretty rich, hence the output from the UTEC. ;)

A couple cool thing about the UTEC: The UTEC lets you have up to 5 maps you can choose from that are selectable on the fly. For instance, you can create a race gas map, low octane map (just in case 87 is your only option), valet map (3000rpm rev limiter with no boost) and your every day driving map. It's very easy to change maps - just turn a small little button on the UTEC itself. Couple the UTEC with the Tuner Module and you are set to go.

toasty
07-23-2004, 12:28 AM
All I have to do is pickup a book or a manual and read about it.

kimmievo
07-23-2004, 08:51 AM
All I have to do is pickup a book or a manual and read about it.

I think it has a lot more to do than just that...

Jan, good job with the UTEC!!!

odyss3y
07-23-2004, 09:43 AM
keep in mind jan that the wrx does not have a wideband sensor on it, so when it reads rich, you dont really have any idea how rich it really is. thats where the tuner kit comes in handy.

also, always use logger 1 :D

there is a boost map plotter, somewhere.... might be in just 4.2, but i know it was an egg in the previous version.

TylerO@WORKS
07-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Watch out Jan! Tuning is a very serious addiction.

:lol:

nice Utec!

JanSolo
07-23-2004, 01:16 PM
keep in mind jan that the wrx does not have a wideband sensor on it, so when it reads rich, you dont really have any idea how rich it really is. thats where the tuner kit comes in handy.

also, always use logger 1 :D

there is a boost map plotter, somewhere.... might be in just 4.2, but i know it was an egg in the previous version.

Logger L was used to show the swanky TurboXS text. :D Tuner kit is a must have. Just gotta find my old Gameboy to hook up to it.

odyss3y
07-23-2004, 02:27 PM
post a screenshot of the dashboard :D