PDA

View Full Version : Need an update about P300 cause.

warpspeed
04-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Well I just got back driving to Vegas and during my drive I was getting a lot of p300 codes. I thought at first maybe I got some bad gas at one of the 76 stations on the way down but since coming back I am still getting the code. I remember that one cause was something in the tranny and I just changed my fluid before leaving to Mobil 1 75-90 because I couldn't find any Redline, which I had before. I searched already and this was the one that stuck out in my mind. Is there any other causes?

thanks for any info.

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 09:29 AM
was it happening in 5th gear? did the car studder? what mods do you have? VIII or XI? year?

could be the tranny. if so there is a $30 fix...

KakimotoEVO
04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Do you have a 5-speed? I had the P0300 problem before and it came on pretty frequently. I noticed that I also had a problem with my 5th gear. It was grinding getting into 5th at high RPM. After Shepard Racing rebuilt my tranny, I've never seen the P0300 code again. Shepard told me that the 5th gear issue is common on the 5 speed trannys. Good luck with yours.

krispytapa
04-05-2007, 09:39 AM
what's the $30 fix, Kit? Â*:) Â*

interesting if the cause of the p0300, for your situation, was the fluid. Â*what redline fluids were you using before?

was it happening in 5th gear? did the car studder? what mods do you have? VIII or XI? year?

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 10:49 AM
what's the $30 fix, Kit? :)

interesting if the cause of the p0300, for your situation, was the fluid. what redline fluids were you using before?

read from this post down:
http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=17002.msg244533#msg244533

or just see this:
http://www.norcalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=2&topic=17002.msg245964#msg245964

NOTE: my apologies, the price looks like it went up to $50 :? But a hell of a lot better than a fully rebuilt tranny for no reason. The 5 spds are stouter than corvette trannys, and even trannys in S4's etc. The local guy who "rebuilt" mine couldn't believe how well made the 5spd for evos is. Too bad the 6spd is trash :(

PM me for more info :thumbsup:

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 10:51 AM
oh ya, there's a big thread on evom about this issue too regarding a frequency the 5th gear splines put out that the knock sensor picks up as like 50+ knocks. Which in turn leads the ecu to pull buttloads of timing, which is felt as studdering... it's an old thread but you should be able to search it...

Oh ya, and warpspeed, if you could log your car with either evoscan or mitsulogger and post one up that might help us too :)

spoolin
04-05-2007, 10:53 AM
oh ya, there's a big thread on evom about this issue too regarding a frequency the 5th gear splines put out that the knock sensor picks up as like 50+ knocks. Which in turn leads the ecu to pull buttloads of timing, which is felt as studdering... it's an old thread but you should be able to search it...

.. o dear god kit. Im the KING of this issue as it has been happening on my car for 40,000 miles. KIt is right on with the tranny, it is a defect on the 03,04's and will never be fixed unless you want a rebuilt tranny... (i sure as hell don't) Buy something called a "creader." search it on ebay... it is something you leave plugged into your obII that constantly erases your check engine lights... i know this is dangerous, but its worth it. For some reason, with this plugged in i NEVER get the 5th gear studder any more. IMO thats worth it enough for me.

XVeloX
04-05-2007, 10:58 AM

.. o dear god kit. Im the KING of this issue as it has been happening on my car for 40,000 miles. KIt is right on with the tranny, it is a defect on the 03,04's and will never be fixed unless you want a rebuilt tranny... (i sure as hell don't) Buy something called a "creader." search it on ebay... it is something you leave plugged into your obII that constantly erases your check engine lights... i know this is dangerous, but its worth it. For some reason, with this plugged in i NEVER get the 5th gear studder any more. IMO thats worth it enough for me.

yup, it pulls the code before the ecu has a chance to see the huge knock and pull timing. It seems like the knock sensor would still pick up the frequency as knock, but all i can say is that it fixes the issue...no code, no studder, car runs great...

MadEvo
04-05-2007, 11:52 AM

+1 on the creader. Once I had the 26k mark... my car pulls the P0300 when on 5th gear just cruising the freeway. Bought a creader and left it on my car and barely saw that code again.

DRFTR8
04-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I just had the dealership replace my 03 tranny with an 05 tranny...;) no more issues for me..specially trying to get it into gear

warpspeed
04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys. It usually happens in fifth gear and I am going @80mph to pass someone up and when I let go of the pedal, that's when it pops up. It's no problem for me to reset the check engine light since I have the ScanGauge II which I can reset on the fly but gets to irritating somtimes. I had Redline 75-90 before with a little of MTL mixed in and the P300 hardly came up. I am going to check on that creader thing.

MitsuMan
04-05-2007, 01:03 PM
u guys know that when you reset the ecu it resets all your obd2 monitors. and your car won't run its self tests, on continuous monitors. will cause higher emissions, not anybody cares, but it will also make your car un-smoggable until the monitors have run.

spoolin
04-05-2007, 01:39 PM
^^^ This is true.... Dont you have to have like 100 miles on ur ecu without it resetting for it to be smoggable? correct me if im wrong..

MarkSAE
04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
No, you just have to complete a drive cycle that causes all the ecu to run all the readiness tests and your car should be ready for smog.

This document discusses the drive cycle in detail on pages 10-11.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/publications/brochures/OBD_guide.pdf

I reset my ecu, did the above drive cycle, and passed smog on my 98 GSX.

Malibujack has written an OBD2 scanner that's used w/ the tactrix cable. It can scan and check the readiness tests.. good stuff. No need to waste time going to the smog station and finding out your tests aren't ready yet.

MarkSAE
04-05-2007, 02:43 PM
For those of you too lazy to click the link above, here's the drive cycle:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k290/marksae/drivecycle.jpg

spoolin
04-05-2007, 04:33 PM
cool! thanks for the info!

warpspeed
04-05-2007, 05:32 PM
That's why I got the ScanGauge II. It tells me when all the test are done and the ecu is "ready" meaning that it is okay to smog the car. Check it out, it's better than unhooking the negative cable all the time you get a check engine light can also monitors alot of the basic stuff. Here is the site:

http://www.scangauge.com/

warpspeed
04-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Quick question about the 5th gear issue. Will it be detrimental in the future or is it just one of those things you will have to live with?

spoolin
04-05-2007, 10:09 PM
It could be, but most of us believe that it is the knock sensor simply picking up vibrations from the transmission. Search evoM, there is about a 20 page write up on this issue! However, i've never heard of a 5 speed with these problems. They are built much more sturdy than a mr 6-speed. 60,000 miles on my car runnin strong. Love my creader!!!

Jamie@WORKS
04-06-2007, 05:42 PM
The P0300 is acknowledged by Mitsu as being a known transmission issue and is covered under warranty.Â* Even if you're out of the 5-year/60K-mile powertrain warranty on an '03, you still may be covered under the 8-year/80K-mile emissions warranty.Â* The first step is to get the latest Mitsubishi reflash on the ECU.Â* If that doesn't do it and the code triggers under a specific set of conditions (fully warmed, freeway speeds, light throttle), then the rebuild (to replace the input shaft and its half of 5th gear) should be next on the list... on Mitsubishi's dime.

chrisw
04-06-2007, 06:04 PM
The P0300 is acknowledged by Mitsu as being a known transmission issue and is covered under warranty. Even if you're out of the 5-year/60K-mile powertrain warranty on an '03, you still may be covered under the 8-year/80K-mile emissions warranty. The first step is to get the latest Mitsubishi reflash on the ECU. If that doesn't do it and the code triggers under a specific set of conditions (fully warmed, freeway speeds, light throttle), then the rebuild (to replace the input shaft and its half of 5th gear) should be next on the list... on Mitsubishi's dime.

dammit! why couldn't you say something 10k miles ago? Me with 87k miles on the odo....

MadEvo
04-06-2007, 06:28 PM
The P0300 is acknowledged by Mitsu as being a known transmission issue and is covered under warranty. Even if you're out of the 5-year/60K-mile powertrain warranty on an '03, you still may be covered under the 8-year/80K-mile emissions warranty. The first step is to get the latest Mitsubishi reflash on the ECU. If that doesn't do it and the code triggers under a specific set of conditions (fully warmed, freeway speeds, light throttle), then the rebuild (to replace the input shaft and its half of 5th gear) should be next on the list... on Mitsubishi's dime.

dammit! why couldn't you say something 10k miles ago? Me with 87k miles on the odo....

Well, I'm way past that now :lol:

Damanc
04-06-2007, 06:53 PM
You really have to get after them though. I have gone to bolth Concord mitsu and Barber mitsu here in fairfield, and neither of them clam to know anything about them. Also SRM is getting a little wary about warranty issues I was told that the local rep is looking a lot harder at the work they warranty.

+1 on the creader. Once I had the 26k mark... my car pulls the P0300 when on 5th gear just cruising the freeway. Bought a creader and left it on my car and barely saw that code again.

I am still waiting for my creader from Harbor freight I ordered it about two and a half weeks ago.

I also wanted to ask does the computer run in closed loop till the tests are finished?

And finaly this may sound stupid, but would putting some dynamat on the tranny dampen the harmonics enough to stop the p0300 issue?

krispytapa
04-06-2007, 08:50 PM
are you talking about this creader?Â* they have it in harborfreight vallejo behind the counter.Â* it displays codes in blinks so i returned it.Â* :)Â* i got pissed trying to decipher blinks and dashes.Â*

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46030

I am still waiting for my creader from Harbor freight I ordered it about two and a half weeks ago.

Damanc
04-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Yea thats the one. I need it for its P0300 canceling more than knowing what code is being displayed. I have a buddy with a professional scantool to read other trouble codes. Its just that the P0300 has, for me at least, made what was once an exciting and fun car to drive into a plane old daily driver that I hate taking up on the freeway.

warpspeed
04-07-2007, 12:07 PM
I think for the warranty, your car has to be 100% stock for them to replace the tranny.Â* Now, how many here are 100% stock? :?

spoolin
04-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Yea thats the one. I need it for its P0300 canceling more than knowing what code is being displayed. I have a buddy with a professional scantool to read other trouble codes. Its just that the P0300 has, for me at least, made what was once an exciting and fun car to drive into a plane old daily driver that I hate taking up on the freeway.

My creader displays codes correctly... but im with you on this one. I only leave it 'plugged in' on the freeway when im cruising so i dont get that random fuel cut that is absolutley annoying as hell...Creader fixed the problem almost compleltey. Every once in a blue moon it will still happen but its much more enjoyable to drive now.

Damanc
04-08-2007, 06:46 PM
I got my creader yesterday and when I plug it in all I get is the launch message then an E and that is all. Im not sure wtf is going on but this is getting frustrating and the instruction book that came with it says nothing about this situation.
Does anybody have any suggestions ?

XVeloX
04-08-2007, 08:59 PM
I got my creader yesterday and when I plug it in all I get is the launch message then an E and that is all. Im not sure wtf is going on but this is getting frustrating and the instruction book that came with it says nothing about this situation.

Is your car on/in the on position?

Bagsik_EVOVIII
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM

I think your car needs to be started and have the check engine light on then it'll start reading once u plug it in...

Damanc
04-08-2007, 09:41 PM
I have tried the on position with the engine off, and on and still get the same result. I even went down to Harbor freight in Vallejo and bought one of the ones behind the counter with the same results. I am starting to wonder if its a problem with the car. My only problem with that is that I have used other code readers with success.

XVeloX
04-08-2007, 09:45 PM
weird, it only usually gives the E when the car is off. Do you have pics of it? Im curious why this isn't working for you, cause it's what spoolin has used for months, and IIRC shiv has used them before to for lots of different things.

Looks like this right?
http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/lau-creaderii.gif

If it's this one i don't know if it acts the same:
http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/lau-creaderiv.gif

EDIT: the first pic was pulled off ebay, just searched creader and it came up for like $25 plus shipping?

Damanc
04-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Same scantool diffirent package backing. Though the one you pictured first is the same one i ordered.

XVeloX
04-09-2007, 10:13 AM
damn, does the code still pop up and throw a cel? the creader should let the code happen like 3-5 times, each time letting it stay for a shorter amount of time. and then after that the cel will never pop up and give the studder...

edit: the creader must remain plugged into your obd2 at all times while the car is on. only unplug when off. elliot mounted his to the kick panel right next to the obd2...

warpspeed
04-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Well I have been reading up about the misfire(p0300) from the other site and ran on a reply about how Mitsu. knows about the problem and has a so called ECU reprogram flash.Â* It went something like with the new flash, instead of seeing, let say 50 knock, the new program will wait until it sees 150 knocks before it triggers the check engine light.Â* Don't quote me on this but it went something like that.Â* Now my question is can a flash from one of out local tuners do the same thing while at the same time getting the most power for out of Evos?

spoolin
04-09-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure if local tuners can do that yet... as it is the knock sensor that is activated and causes the stutter. Not many tuners have played TOO much with the knock sensor filter maps yet... NOTICE THAT I SAID YET!!!! :wink: I think mitsu did a crap job of creating a "fix" for this problem as it will still get the code and the stutter, just not as often. Why the hell didnt they just elminate that all together??

XVeloX
04-09-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure if local tuners can do that yet... as it is the knock sensor that is activated and causes the stutter. Not many tuners have played TOO much with the knock sensor filter maps yet... NOTICE THAT I SAID YET!!!! :wink: I think mitsu did a crap job of creating a "fix" for this problem as it will still get the code and the stutter, just not as often. Why the hell didnt they just elminate that all together??

The hard part: where do i start? (12 of these, obviously each target different load? areas and different RPM's, but not a whole lot of stuff has been done regarding testing these since not many people wanna risk an engine :shock:)

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_download_shared_file&file_id=f_54809238&shared_name=tp1t05snbo

Jamie@WORKS
04-11-2007, 11:15 AM
In the end, the reflash is just a band-aid for the problem and not a fix by any means (at least not on the numerous cases we've encountered). If you want to fix it, you have to address the root cause and not jack around with piggyback devices that only mask the problem. Mitsubishi acknowledged the transmission issue a year ago and specifically states what is to be done via their own TSB. I wouldn't expect the dealer to offer it up without some persistence on the owner's end though.

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Soon. ;)

crctslt
04-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Mitsubishi acknowledged the transmission issue a year ago and specifically states what is to be done via their own TSB. I wouldn't expect the dealer to offer it up without some persistence on the owner's end though.

Any dealership should be eager to do the work. The dealership will be paid by Mits to do the repair. Any dealership that tells you otherwise is foolish.

warpspeed
04-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Mitsubishi acknowledged the transmission issue a year ago and specifically states what is to be done via their own TSB. I wouldn't expect the dealer to offer it up without some persistence on the owner's end though.

Any dealership should be eager to do the work. The dealership will be paid by Mits to do the repair. Any dealership that tells you otherwise is foolish.

I'm pissed off now.Â* If Mitsubishi acknowledged the problem about the transmission, they why the hell didn't I get a damn recall bulletin so I could have gotten my tranny fix!

Damanc
04-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Well I think its a TSB and not a recall. So I believe what happens is they will exhaust all other option before finaly rebuilding your tranny. and (in my opinion)they will most likely try everything they can to make it seem like your fault so they can charge extra that they couldnt on a warranty job.

crctslt
04-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Well I think its a TSB and not a recall. So I believe what happens is they will exhaust all other option before finaly rebuilding your tranny. and (in my opinion)they will most likely try everything they can to make it seem like your fault so they can charge extra that they couldnt on a warranty job.

What?! Mitsubishi would never try to do anything like that. :wink:

spoolin
04-11-2007, 07:43 PM
The reason it's not a recall is not EVERY car does it... only a handful of 03's including my own that have this issue...:(

Jamie@WORKS
04-12-2007, 11:20 AM
It's not a recall as it's usually not safety related. There is an argument for that as well, but it takes a little persuasion. The reason the dealership isn't jumping all over the TSB is because (like all warranty work), they get much less than there usual rate. The TSB specifically states they are only allotted 8.2 hours for the job. I'm lucky if I can pull and reinstall a transmission in 8.2 hours, let alone take one out, crack it open, rebuild the input shaft, reshim, put it back together and put it back in the car in that amount of time.

warpspeed
04-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Where do you guys recommend to take the tranny in? I don't really trust those dealership mechanics for those big jobs.

Damanc
04-15-2007, 12:42 AM
weird, it only usually gives the E when the car is off. Do you have pics of it? Im curious why this isn't working for you, cause it's what spoolin has used for months, and IIRC shiv has used them before to for lots of different things.

Looks like this right?
http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/lau-creaderii.gif

Hey I was looking at the Creaders I have, and the pins in them dont all line up with the pins on my OBD2 port. Do they line up on yours? And if they do what is the part number of the creader you have?

spoolin
04-15-2007, 11:32 AM
they do line up on mine... i dont have the part # on me does it say on the unit??

krispytapa
04-16-2007, 11:12 AM
this may sound stupid but i was getting alot of p0300 cel's this past month.Â* always cruising on the freeway around 75ish mph.Â* i had penzoil syncromesh(sp?) for around 4k miles.Â* i switched to redline mt90 and haven't seen a p0300 in a few weeks.Â* not saying that it will work for everyone else but i'd thought i share.Â* i was getting freeway stutters 5 times w/in 5miles.Â* i had to drive under or over 75mph to keep from getting the cel. not fun.

Jamie@WORKS
04-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Where do you guys recommend to take the tranny in? I don't really trust those dealership mechanics for those big jobs.

WORKS can rebuild your tranny with all the TSB updates/upgrades. We're booking the big jobs a few weeks out and it would take a couple days of down time to get the job done. If you're wanting warranty work, San Rafael is probably your most viable option.

DaveLC2
05-12-2007, 09:49 AM
The P0300 is acknowledged by Mitsu as being a known transmission issue and is covered under warranty.Â* Even if you're out of the 5-year/60K-mile powertrain warranty on an '03, you still may be covered under the 8-year/80K-mile emissions warranty.Â* The first step is to get the latest Mitsubishi reflash on the ECU.Â* If that doesn't do it and the code triggers under a specific set of conditions (fully warmed, freeway speeds, light throttle), then the rebuild (to replace the input shaft and its half of 5th gear) should be next on the list... on Mitsubishi's dime.

Wow thanks Jamie. This is the first I've read about this. I've read other threads about this freaking code and the one where someone out in the valley had their Evo purchased back by under the Lemon Law but this is the first I've heard about it being trans related. I do get the 5th gear grind but it's only when I am winding out 4th which is something I rarely do. I guess I'd better get my happy ass backÂ* to the Mitsubishi Dealer. I've already had them reflash it once and it quickly came back. I do have a aftermarket clutch and flywheel. Do you think this will be a problem? The clutch is a RRE no name and the flywheel is a Fidanza. Thanks again.

Dave

XVeloX
05-12-2007, 09:53 AM
i don't think its grinding, but rather in 5th gear at cruising speed on the freeway the knock sensor goes crazy, causes a p0300, and the car studders really hard... grinding is maybe time for a clutch adjustment...

or am i way off?

DaveLC2
05-12-2007, 10:07 AM
i don't think its grinding, but rather in 5th gear at cruising speed on the freeway the knock sensor goes crazy, causes a p0300, and the car studders really hard... grinding is maybe time for a clutch adjustment...

or am i way off?

I have my buddies scan tool with me now. I noticed in the past that if I accidently lug the engine and almost stall it trigger's the code. When my car is cold you can hear a slight miss and then it totally goes away after it's at opperating temp. I need to figure this out because don't 03's need to be smogged this year? I should be up in December.

Dave

XVeloX
05-12-2007, 10:12 AM

or am i way off?

I have my buddies scan tool with me now. I noticed in the past that if I accidently lug the engine and almost stall it trigger's the code. When my car is cold you can hear a slight miss and then it totally goes away after it's at opperating temp. I need to figure this out because don't 03's need to be smogged this year? I should be up in December.

Dave

hmmmm have you checked your plugs recently or changed them? Might be a good time unless it always does it. The p0300 above is while going (usually) 75-80mph and the car just studders randomly. As far as smog, i dunno, if you clear it before you get to the station you should be fine, just make sure the car is nice and warm :) I had my 03 smogged in 05 when i bought it, so i *think* i have some more time till smog...

DaveLC2
05-12-2007, 10:33 AM
The plugs have about 6k or so on them. I need to check out the wires though.

Dave

warpspeed
05-12-2007, 12:12 PM
I think if you are the original owner of the car, the smog doesn't come to play after 6 years (could be wrong)Â* You only smogÂ* it when you are selling it and after you sell it, the 2 year smog begins for that car.

spoolin
05-12-2007, 01:40 PM
I think if you are the original owner of the car, the smog doesn't come to play after 6 years (could be wrong)Â* You only smogÂ* it when you are selling it and after you sell it, the 2 year smog begins for that car.

Not necessarily true... I bought my car used off a private owner in early 04.... havent had to get it smogged since then..

warpspeed
05-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Was there a bill of sale or transfer of ownership? Because if it's just a transfer of ownership, you don't have to do smog and don't have to pay any taxes. Unless the DMV changed their procedures now.

spoolin
05-12-2007, 11:33 PM
ah, you may be right. It was a transfer of title... so the smog may have been unnecessary then?

DaveLC2
05-13-2007, 12:23 AM
I bought used from a dealer in June of 05 and it already had two prior owners. The first owner only had it til 5,500 miles or so and the second owner had it til 17k miles and that's when I bought it. Now it has just over 58k milesÂ* :shock: My buddy who is a smog tech says he's smogging 03's this year at his work. He loaned me his extra scan tool to monitor stuff. Now I have a PO304. I've had PO301's in the past tooÂ* :x

Dave

AreSTG
05-23-2007, 07:48 PM
has anyone had trouble with p0300's only at idle? Everytime i've pulled the data on my codes they have been at idle. I have a ticking i assume related to my cams, and i've been thinking that has something to do with it.

on a side note, i'm gunna go research this, but i think before i got ecu+ i remember reading that it somhow caused some codes... gunna search around for that info now

TSi_2_EVO
05-24-2007, 12:15 AM
i didnt get the p0300 until i changed out my oem plugs.Â* it happend for a while and i tried gapping the next set tighter...guess what i havent had the p0300 since and i changed my plugs out about 3 more times after that and it still has not showed up.Â* not saying this is the permenant fix, just something that worked for me.Â* worth a try if you guys tried everything else short of tranny swap.

AreSTG
05-27-2007, 06:34 PM
i didnt get the p0300 until i changed out my oem plugs. it happend for a while and i tried gapping the next set tighter...guess what i havent had the p0300 since and i changed my plugs out about 3 more times after that and it still has not showed up. not saying this is the permenant fix, just something that worked for me. worth a try if you guys tried everything else short of tranny swap.

sounds like a good idea, but that would help with the plugs blowing out correct? Mine should not be blowing out if it's at idle correct? Maybe i'll switch to glow plugs