PDA

View Full Version : Stalling issues

Irreversible
07-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone Evo8 Noobie here. Anyway, here's my issue. My car's RPM drops below 500 and stalls about 30% of the time under certain conditions. Goes something like this, engine load (under almost any RPM) hit the clutch, hit the brakes, rpms drop below 500 and occasionally stalls. I have greddy s bov (recirc), 3" intake with KN filter from rnr, SAFC, 3" TB, MBC. I've done some searches and found that it could be a variety of issues. I spent a good part of yesterday adjusting and readjusting the BOV (softening and hardening) and SAFC (leaning and richening at low throttle/low RPM) but problem still persists. Can anyone help an Evo brutha out? Thanks!

SouthernCrane
07-26-2004, 09:31 AM
I had the Greddy Type S recirc and I had the issue you are describing. Try putting your stock diverter valve back in, and see if the problem continues.

Irreversible
07-26-2004, 09:58 AM
thanks, i'll try that!

EvoVIII
07-26-2004, 11:32 AM
I hate going through that again.. Although after Market BOV do Recerculate, but it still stall.. why?

brwnrice
07-26-2004, 03:38 PM
have you tried the single spring mod on the type-s? try putting your stock intake and leave the type-s in, if that does not cure the problem then might as well get the hks eids.

EvolvedDSM
07-26-2004, 05:55 PM
What's the engine idle speed while just sitting at a light? I'd say you might want to try tightening the spring on the Type-S, adding a few percent around the 1K Ne-point on the Low setting of the SAFC and maybe adjusting your BISS to bump the idle.

Aside: don't bother with the clutch while braking until it's about 1000 RPMs. If you do it right, you can pop it into neutral w/o using your left foot at all.

Irreversible
07-26-2004, 06:18 PM
evolveddsm

engine speed at idle at light is normal. everything is normal. its just under engine load, as soon as i depress clutch to slow at a light or in rush hour, idle drops to under 500 for maybe a second, then engine seems to rev back up to normal. about 30% of the time though, engine does not rev it back to normal and instead, stalls. i really dont want to change my driving style if its the type s. i'd rather put it back to stock.

i dunno. i've been loosening the screw on the type s and i'm gonna give it a whirl...

SouthernCrane
07-26-2004, 08:35 PM
i've been loosening the screw on the type s and i'm gonna give it a whirl...

How'd it go?

EvoKach
07-26-2004, 09:51 PM
I have the Greddy Type-S and that is your problem. Open the BOV and remove the lighter of the two springs, leaving the heavier one in. PROBLEM SOLVED.....trust me on this one.

Irreversible
07-27-2004, 06:13 AM
ok guys loosened the spring (singlespring mod was alreayd done). still didnt work. finally got fed up and replaced the greddy with the stock DV. still didnt work. now i'm beginnin to think its the aftermarket intake pipe (custom job) thats messing with the maf.

one thing i did notice though, the hose that leads from the BOV to the upper IC piping is bent at an angle in such a way tha its cutting flow by...maybe...30-40%. the hose looks too long. should i buy another hose at autozone? would that help solve this?

EvoKach
07-27-2004, 11:02 PM
The hoses should be fairly straight with no sharp bends at all. Can you take a pic and post it? Also, have you reset your ECU after doing all of this? Your engine may think it is stock still. Has your SES light come on? Also, try the stock intake and the BOV ( I know the install is a time consuming pain in the ass) but I was running an AEM intake and my greddy and I liked the stock intake with the greddy bov a lot better.

Irreversible
07-28-2004, 07:02 AM
EvoKach,

Sorry no access to a digital cam right now. The bend is a 90% angle in the hose that leads from the BOV to the UICP. I've unplugged the neg term on the battery for an hour so i'm assuming the ECU is reset. No SES lights whatsoever.

There's a whole thread on evom about stalling and a member found that most people with 3" intakes are having stalling issues. I guess i'm just gonna have to learn to stay off the clutch when slowing down and downshift a little bit more...

EvoKach
07-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Best of luck with it. Play around with different set-ups and see what works best. If you get a chance to snap a pic, post one up for us to see.

hellz Evo
07-28-2004, 09:52 AM
You need this item below.

The HKS EIDS has been developed to buffer dramatic airflow meter signal fluctuations. By buffering these fluctuations the EIDS prevents engine stalling or stumbling associated with sudden imbalances in air/fuel ratio of airflow meter-equipped vehicles that utilize atmosphere venting blow-off valves

I have them for 135.00 includes shipping in Nor Cal.

Sam

wthoevo8
08-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Irreversible, have you fix your problem yet? If not try putting your stock airbox back in, see if that'll help. sometimes that MAF may act up...

carbonevo8
08-03-2004, 06:32 PM
get the HKS EIDS and you'll never have a problem again

warpspeed
08-03-2004, 08:00 PM
get the HKS EIDS and you'll never have a problem again
No guarantee on that. There were a couple of guys on Evom that threw a MAF cel error. Maybe it was their install?

carbonevo8
08-03-2004, 08:36 PM
i talked to one of them last night and it was from a bad install they had the direction of the maf sending unit backwards

Irreversible
08-04-2004, 05:10 PM
i have not solved the problem yet, though i have narrowed the cuase down to the 3" intake pipe (custom job from RnR). from what i've researched on evom, most aftermarket intake pipes will cause the maf to go nuts do to the turbulence caused by the swirling air inside the larger diameter pipe. i'm very curious now as to the eids unit. i wonder...if it didnt fix the stalling, could i get my money back?

PS, the issue is not THAT bad...its just when i let off the throttle, press the clutch, and go to neutral while coming to a stop, RPMs dip below 500 for a split second, then catches itself back to 900. sometimes though it stalls. pain in the ass in traffic and on hills. other than that, just trying to re-learn how to drive by downshifting when coming to a stop. i'd love to hear more opinions about the EIDS unit though. i'm getting opinions from both sides, though for the most part they seem positive.

PK@WORKS
08-04-2004, 05:11 PM
We recommend the stock airbox (w/WORKS drop-in filter) and the GFB Stealth FX. This combination has presented the least amount of idle/stalling issues of them all.

We're also developing a non-adjustable two stage GFB which will eliminate ALL idle issues with EVOs coming this fall.

carbonevo8
08-04-2004, 05:23 PM
im sure the eids will fix your problem i have a intake and bov vta and it fixed mine but im sure if you dont like it you could sell it im sure theres a few peole out there that want one

Irreversible
08-04-2004, 05:25 PM
carbonevo,

where did you purchase your unit and how much did you pay? how was install? from what i've read, its a b*tch since its in japanese. true/false? any other details i should know before investing?

carbonevo8
08-04-2004, 05:40 PM
i got mine from http://www.hellboyzracing.webdesigngo.com/page/page/1171314.htm
just call them and ask for sam he give you a good deal. i dont remeber what i payed i bought a bunch of stuff at the same time. there are english instructions as well and install took me 10 minutes at night. its very easy ill say its easier than a instal on a turbot timer. it comes with all the stuff needed for a good install and is only a couple of wires just use this for the wire diagram
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/tech/EVO-ecuwiring.htm
and if you have any questions just let me know