PDA

View Full Version : INSTALL: manual boost controller

trinydex
04-13-2007, 08:34 PM
So, when I got my hallman pro, and did research on this site, there wasn't a "how to" so I've decided to gather some info and put it up for when people need this info later on.

First, good job on the purchase of hallman pro. This MBC is regarded as one of the more reliable and cost effective way to control your boost.

Especially on Evo RX PRO with incabin controller, you have the control at your finger tips without getting out of the car to adjust boost.

There are two ways to connect your Hallman MBC. For various reasons, some wants to install with Turbo and Wastegate, so they don't get the manifold pressure.

Some connects it with Wastegate and BOV to INtake manifold line tap.

Some of the troubleshooting:

1. If your boost is stuck at 10 or 11 psi, you're connection is wrong. Once you diable the Turbo Wastegate actuator, you're going back to the stock Boost/wastegate boost which is 10~ 11 psi.

This is only when, you're turning the knob to increase boost but it's not going up. Mine started at 11psi and I increase the boost to my desired level of 19 psi.

2. In Evo RX Pro, if your cockpit controller wont turn, you have to either,

a. manhandle and turn it clockwise
b. open the top nipple of the MBC, take the ceramic ball out and the springs and you'll see a flathead screw embedded in it. Turn this counterclock wise a quarter turn. Reassemble.

3. You've boosted 32psi without tuning and without any other mods on your evo and your engine blows up. Blame yourself for it, because it's your fault.

From what I heard, your boost cut/fuel cuts are going to prevent this from happening, but chances are you're going to run extremely lean which will cause some problems for your engine.

4. The instruction says for Evolution RX Pro incabin controller, you need to cut the cable with mig cutter or welder. You don't need that. Just cut it with a pliar. It works. make sure you trim the plastic piece carefully,

Here are things you may want to consider before you start installation

1. Buy some more hoses. You may want to install the MBC somewhere further than the supplied hoses could reach.

2. figure out where to install the mbc before you taking stuff apart. Especially the EVO PRO RX incabin one. It's really difficult to modulate the cable.

3. If you're not mechanically inclined, you're going to spend some time on this.

4. Get a tray to hold all your nuts and bolts.

5. This is worth the time once installed.

What you'll need.

Needle Nose plier
Wrench
10mm Socket
1/2 inch Socket
Phillips screw driver
Zip ties
Your Hallman MBC
Flash Light (just in case you're compulsive like me and wanted to install it 6 in the morning)
Elbow grease
Drill (for hallman EVo Pro RX)
1/2 inch drill bit

ok, now lets go on with the install.

Here are the diagram.

I'll make this quick.

This is the one that connects to the wastegate and bypass BOV and Intake manifold hose.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10991/normal_mURI_temp_fe6c5463.jpg

This is the one tha'ts connected to the Wastegate and Turbo nipple.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10991/normal_mURI_temp_6b18451d.jpg

With that said, here are some pictures.

The turbo and the wastegate sits right behind the radiator, below the exhaust manifold.

In order for you to get to it, there are 2 ways of doing this.

1. go from the top. This requires a lot of time taking things apart and putting thigns back in.

2. go from the bottom. You'll need to deal with the undertray.

First way goes like this.

1. Take the intake box out by removing 2 screws on the intake box bottom.

2. Take the upper IC pipe out. The easiest way to do this is to take the top rubber piece out, then bottom, then the BOV hose connector by just twisting the IC pipe.

3. Disconnect the Fan and the temperature sensor that's mounted onto the fan assembly.

4. Reach down and see the wastegate and turbo hoses, take them out with a needle nose plier. Take it easy and don't break the nipples.

5. once the hoses from wastegate and turbo is taken out, reach underneath the intake pipe and take the hose out from its nipple.

6. look at the right side, below where the intake box is. That's your Turbo Wastegate actuator. The best way is to remove one of the hose, then cut about 3 inches from the top nipple hose then make a "U" connection with the hoses to close them up.

7. Save the hoses, you may need it later. They have the restrictor pills built in them.

8. Connect the hose to whichever way you want to connect it. And cap rest of the nipples. Cap the intake nipple, you don't need it.

9. Connect the hoses to the mounted MBC, zip tie all the hoses and the caps.

10. put everything back in this order:

Fan, tem sensor for the fan, intake (make sure those metal clips don't fall down and get stuck on stock box. Also don't forget your MAF plugs), the upper IC pipe.

(* From here, there are more steps for EVO RX Incabin MBC. Look below)
11. Go out and set your boost on 3rd and 4th gear. Make sure you reset your ECU, via ECU cables or Battery.

12. Now you're ready to feel the high end boost!

For EVO RX with Inside cabin controller.

1. You'll need to straighten the cable a bit, since it's so round.

2. You'll need to figure out how to mount your MBC, since it's not like the regular MBC, it will come slipping out of the round holder. Your Knob isn't there, it's inside your cabin!

3. Once you get the hoses on your MBC, you'll need to drill a 1/2 inch hole in your firewall.

4. You'll need to figure out where you're going to mount the MBC in the engine bay and inside your cabin. You'll need to do this before all the hoses are cut for length.

5. Once everything is layed out, put the cable through the firewall and mount it inside.

6. The cable is going to be long, depending on where you mount the MBC, so you'll need to cut it and trim it to make sure it'll fit where you're mounting it.

Remember, this cable can't be folded and it is not flexible.

7. Mount everything with the supplied harware, zip tie is properly so it wont get in your way of driving and ALWAYS TEST THE KNOB BEFORE YOU INSTALL.

This is a problem since EVO RX Pro knob does get stuck sometimes.

8. Make sure the Knob inside isn't where someone could get to. You could get a big suprise, when you take your car for a oil change and come out with 32 PSI of boost at 3500 RPM and a BOOM.

10. Enjoy, especially now when its really cold outside, this knob is your best friend.

I could adjust it via fly. I'm on boost, then slow down, adjust the knob, and boost again without ever leaving my car.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10991/normal_mURI_temp_6a3c234f.jpg

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10991/normal_mURI_temp_c44e2983.jpg

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10991/normal_mURI_temp_3b8296dd.jpg