PDA

View Full Version : Polish your pipes

bdking57
07-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Metal polish + rag =

http://www.flowerhornusa.com/forums/uploads/post-10-1091134246.jpg

These pipes shine up really easy, all the radiator pipes... as well as the intercooler. I still have some roughness on the larger pipes, im going to use some very fine sandpaper to get these out then continue polishing with a metal polish cream.

warpspeed
07-29-2004, 02:06 PM
It looks good. But I believe those pipes has some sort of coating. Once you scrap of the top coat, you will have to keep polishing them more often so you don't get surface rust of oxidation.

MarkSAE
07-29-2004, 10:44 PM
You must be thinking about aluminized steel piping. After you sand off the aluminized coating, it'll start rusting.

The metal parts of our ic pipes are aluminum so they won't rust. There isn't any coating on it either.

EvoVIII
07-29-2004, 11:02 PM
how da hell do u polish that piping? I don't get it... sorry but I am a newbie on this

MarkSAE
07-30-2004, 12:30 PM
how da hell do u polish that piping? I don't get it... sorry but I am a newbie on this

Just go to Kragens, and look in their detailing section. You should be able to find metal polish by Mother's or other brands. All you do is take the polishing compound, wipe it over the surface you want to polish, let it dry for a minute, then wipe/buff it off. It's the same thing as waxing your car.

If you want a shiny mirror like surface, you have to get really fine sand paper and sand all the surface imperfections out before rubbing the polishing compound on. Anything 1500 grit nd up should give you a mirror finish. Polished aluminum tends to get dull looking after a while and will require maintenance to keep shiny.

wrx2evo8
07-31-2004, 02:57 PM
http://registry.evolutionm.net/garage/9345/images/lg_polishedheadercover-xl.jpg

i did that to my heat shield....

warpspeed
07-31-2004, 07:45 PM
There is also something called SimiChrome Polish that alot of the Harley guys use on the bikes and it turns out really shiny

bdking57
08-01-2004, 11:04 AM
holy crap... what did you use to polish your heat shield? im thinking of either polishing or ceramic coating it after seeing that pictures because its butt ugly right now. Oh yeah and the statement about the the sandpaper is right on, You want to get to levels of very fine sandpaper.. take out the first layer of surface imperfections, then take it down some more... then polish. I highly suggest you just do it this way from the beginning if your looking to take it to a mirror finish, because your previous work will only be scratched up by the sandpaper. :D I just added a silver GFB BOV right underneath and the combo looks tight!

wrx2evo8
08-01-2004, 05:10 PM
to do the heat sheild i just used some fine steelwool and alot of elbow grease.. after i polished it off with some stuff called never dull.. i think that's what it was called... the never dull stuff is used for polishing silverware and shiny shit like that...

bdking57
08-05-2004, 09:57 PM
ok.. it seems like the upper IC pipe defiantely needs some sanding as its not a very smooth surface. Sand it down before polishing, i have about 75% of the exhuast shield done and im amazed at how easy the black finish comes off... the surface is very smooth underneath

SSwest
08-05-2004, 10:36 PM
Doesn't the coating on the heat shiel have heat shedding characteristics? I have heard that but not sure. Any ideas?