PDA

View Full Version : Question about swapping tranny guts.

Damanc
04-18-2007, 06:10 PM
I have an 03 tranny with all of the problems associated with it (P0300, weak syncros, grinds going into 5th) I have found a deal on ebay for an 05 tranny with a broken case. My question is what are the diffirences between the 03 and the 05 trans and could I swap the guts from the 05 trans to the 03 case? I am just totaly low budget right now and am searching for the best fix at the lowest cost.

Another question is, what part of the 5th gear shaft on the 03 goes bad and will a TRE or Shep rebuild prevent this from happening again? Also if I bought parts for a rebuild from Mitsu would they be updated/better parts or are they the same stuff that is in my current trans?

XVeloX
04-18-2007, 06:34 PM
shep and TRE will take a while to rebuild (shep seemed more eager to help me out a while ago) and i thinks its somewhere around $900. They can also send you a box with packaging in it so your tranny will make it to them ok. Its on their websites and you can call. Depending on how bad it is you can also give Pete @ Pete'sGearShop a call. That's where i had mine done in Hayward. He does audis all the time, corvettes, you name it. He was impressed by the strenght of our trannies. I would give him a call since he is fairly local and a great guy to work with. i have his number if you want it, PM me. You could probably drop my name to and maybe get an even better deal...

Damanc
04-19-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I have a guy in Oakley that is experienced with high performance AWD trannys. He said he could do my rebuild for 600.00 plus parts but I wanted to make sure that if I do have him rebuild it the guts wont do the same thing after 30,000 more miles or some harsh driving. So if 05 guts will fit in the case with no mods I wanted to explore that option. Of course the shep or TRE rebuild is my ideal solution.

XVeloX
04-19-2007, 01:40 AM
ya of course. I was simply giving another option. Pete charged me ~$560 including synchros and a bearing? i believe. He is a very reasonable guy and very knowledgeable even if you just have questions. I wasn't planning on going to him, but after he literally spent 2 hours on the phone with me going over every detail i knew that he was a good choice. My tranny is smoother than ever, even the synchros he didn't replace, now work 10 times as good. I used to have lots of problems 3rd to 4th, and he said he just re-aligned everything carefully and it shifts like butter.

May i highly recommend a set of brass/aluminum shifter bushings. It makes shifts soooooo much crisper. For anyone, it is a great and cheap mod that will help your tranny last longer :)

Damanc
04-19-2007, 03:29 AM
Pete charged me ~$560 including synchros and a bearing? i

May i highly recommend a set of brass/aluminum shifter bushings. It makes shifts soooooo much crisper. For anyone, it is a great and cheap mod that will help your tranny last longer :)

Was the 560$ for the rebuild with the tranny in the car or out?

XVeloX
04-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Pete charged me ~$560 including synchros and a bearing? i

Was the 560$ for the rebuild with the tranny in the car or out?

out, i had it taken out by clutch wizard in san ramon, then Pete came and picked up my tranny and t-case to check everything. you can read more in my other thread about it from a while back.

Jamie@WORKS
04-19-2007, 11:44 AM
They are virtually identical. The '05 parts are the upgraded/updated parts from '03 and/or '04. If the case is broken and you're just looking at swapping the two shafts around, it could be done with relative ease. If you're looking at pressing the gears, synchros, hubs, etc... off the shafts, then it gets a little more complex. Either way WORKS can do the job for you. Just give us a call if interested.

DRFTR8
04-19-2007, 12:28 PM
i had the same problem so i went to mitsubishi and complained about the grinding going into 5th and they replaced the whole tranny with a newer one... they know its an issues and only the ones that reports it to them gets it replaced under warranty

MarkSAE
04-19-2007, 12:29 PM
If you're swapping cases, just make sure you check the shimming of the gear stacks and center diff. Â*Make sure they're in spec after the swap. Â*Everything else should be straight forward.

turbotiger
04-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Usually if the trannie case broke, something else along with it broke. You should check it out and see what other damages internally there are.

TylerO@WORKS
04-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I would be worried about the internals. What caused the case damage?

Damanc
04-24-2007, 04:30 PM

Not sure, I passed it up for that reason. Im just going to have it rebuilt when I can afford it.

TylerO@WORKS
04-25-2007, 10:00 AM

Not sure, I passed it up for that reason. Im just going to have it rebuilt when I can afford it.

A good move. If you are looking for somewhere local to do the work, we rebuild transmissions in house now :)

evo637
04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
i had the same problem so i went to mitsubishi and complained about the grinding going into 5th and they replaced the whole tranny with a newer one... they know its an issues and only the ones that reports it to them gets it replaced under warranty

+1 they replaced my transmission+transfercase about 2years ago...No problem since