PDA

View Full Version : An example that passed smog

awdaddict
04-23-2007, 04:40 PM
I guess this type of questions pop-up again and again.
Recently purchased the car from another board member here.
I had to do smog in order to get the title transfer.

Anyways, here is the list of mod (the ones that matter)

Power/drive-tran mods:
Greddy Ti cat back (stock cat-back)
3" Hiflow cat (stock cat)
Perrin 3" dp wrapped
Samco intercooler hose + intake pipe
HKS 264/272 cams + vishnu cam gears
HKS drop-in air filter (stock filter)
TME 6.5 turbo
Ported+ceramic coated exhaust manifold+O2 housing
Forge mbc @ 21psi
Walbro 255l fuel pump
ecuflash + tactrix cable (you can use it for datalogging or reflash)
Tuned by SpeedElement 295whp
Greddy catch can (taken out - will not pass visual)
Light weight odyssey pc680 battery w/ custom mounts

That was my setup to get it pass the smog test.
Of course the visual part just varies from different smog tech.
If you have any question, PM please.

CA smog FAQ
Vehicle model years subject to smog check:
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdffacts/vehicle_model_years_subject_to_smog_check.pdf

FAQ
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

WOT
04-23-2007, 04:43 PM
what were the cam gear settings at?

tkeirin
04-23-2007, 06:15 PM
nice

Matz
04-23-2007, 10:11 PM
WTF? What ever happened to the whole "6 years of no smog"?

Thank you for posting that really good info! My time is coming up, I guess, and this is a great starting point.

awdaddict
04-23-2007, 10:30 PM

Thank you for posting that really good info! My time is coming up, I guess, and this is a great starting point.

I had to smog because of the title transfer. Smog exempt for title transfer is only 4yrs for new car.
DMV has a PDF doc that shows a chart on which vehicle is needed to smog (by year)

Matz
04-24-2007, 09:57 AM

I had to smog because of the title transfer. Smog exempt for title transfer is only 4yrs for new car.
DMV has a PDF doc that shows a chart on which vehicle is needed to smog (by year)

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.

PANGES
04-24-2007, 10:14 AM

Also, Did'nt the 6 years no smog thing begin for vehicles 2005 and up? I think the 2003's still have to do it like normal still.

awdaddict
04-24-2007, 12:39 PM
updated 1st post.

hardcoreracing
05-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Can you post what your emissions numbers were when you passed smog?

vishun68
05-18-2007, 11:45 AM
well you also have ot figure emissions wise our cars will pass a lot easier than 2 wheel drive cars--
we don't have to have our cars ran on the dyno---
just 2 speed idle ---

panem
05-18-2007, 12:37 PM
i dont have to smog my car when my mom changes the title to my name... cool

mr05evo
05-18-2007, 03:14 PM
well you also have ot figure emissions wise our cars will pass a lot easier than 2 wheel drive cars--
just 2 speed idle ---

Man I heard of some shady stuff from a co worker where smog shops were throwing awd vehicles onto the dyno and get this...... they jack up the front!! Now how scary is this?

byt
05-18-2007, 03:18 PM
was the catback just removed for safe measure? hell, i left the whole exhaust setup (header, hfc, catback) on my miata when I went in and all they checked was the carb eo on the header. Passed btw..

mr05evo
05-18-2007, 03:20 PM
was the catback just removed for safe measure? hell, i left the whole exhaust setup (header, hfc, catback) on my miata when I went in and all they checked was the carb eo on the header. Passed btw..

If they really wanted to be jerk about it they can ding you on for visual.

vishun68
05-18-2007, 03:36 PM
i bet your co-worker can sue that smog shop..call BAR... you can't do that ...even in the BAR smog book it tells you to run the car as a two speed idle - unless you have a awd smog dyno which i don't think anyone in CA has

byt
05-18-2007, 04:22 PM
If they really wanted to be jerk about it they can ding you on for visual.

how so? my jackson racing headers are carb legal. only thing they coulda had me for was the hfc but it is a stock replacement. Stock cat was crusted up and basically useless.

awdaddict
05-18-2007, 05:45 PM

Yea, I was suggested to remove the HFC and catback just to be safe ;)

nightwalker
05-20-2007, 01:07 AM
catch cans are legal as long as they keep the PCV system full enclosed/recirculating, and you use approved emissions hoses. (available from Napa) nothing special, just look at the hoses they have, you can figure out which one to buy.

Lurk
05-21-2007, 06:15 PM
just 2 speed idle ---

Man I heard of some shady stuff from a co worker where smog shops were throwing awd vehicles onto the dyno and get this...... they jack up the front!! Now how scary is this?

:? They must really be itching for a lawsuit.