PDA

View Full Version : DYI grounding kits

bdking57
08-04-2004, 11:36 PM
I just finished installing a 4 guage grounding kit... before the install i had tried to explain to my gf the function of these wires. In doing so, i noticed that when turning the wheel, the power steering causes a pretty large fluctuation in rpms.. if the car was idling around 900, it would dip down to 600 to500 rpms when i was only turning the wheel about 25%... now with the kit in when turning the wheel 25% there is no dip in rpms at all, however if the wheel is turned from center all the one in one direction, i notice a drop of 100 or so RPMs. Im not sure if some how grounding the power steering might completely remedy this or not.. but the improvments are pretty noticable from this test... :lol:

MarkSAE
08-05-2004, 05:48 PM
The power steering has a switch in it. This switch sends a signal to the ECU telling the ISC motor to bump up the throttle slightly to compensate for the extra load of the power steering motor. The same thing happens when you turn the AC on. Perhaps your grounding kit helped the signal reach the ECU more efficiently, which helped your car run better.

kataklyzm
08-12-2004, 09:35 AM
is there a how-to in this site? i just found a fat roll of amp power cable in my room :D

MarkSAE
08-12-2004, 11:54 AM
is there a how-to in this site? i just found a fat roll of amp power cable in my room :D

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=30385&highlight=DIY+GROUND

bdking57
08-12-2004, 01:07 PM
is the wire the right colors for you? personally i dont think this is worth doing unless it helps the overal appearance of the engine bay as well. The silver ground wire looks sweet, and you should be able to get the 4 gauge variety for 12 dollars.. plus circuit city now carries 5 packs of terminal connections. If you do not have a crimping device then go with 8 gauge connectors, if not you can go with the larger 4 gauge connectors.... you should not pay more then 20 dollars for 10 connectors, i got the hook up since they were mislabeled and paid 4 dollars total for 10 for gauge connectors.

MarkSAE
08-12-2004, 01:17 PM
I used black ground wire to make it blend in w/ the background in the engine bay. You’ll have to look closely to see my wires.

kataklyzm
08-12-2004, 07:12 PM
i just finished and took it for a drive....and according to my butt-dyno, it feels alot smoother....usually i can feel a slight drop in power somewhere after 4.5k rpms, and it feels like its gone now :o

vtluu
08-12-2004, 07:43 PM
There's nothing quite like the placebo effect eh? :P

evo_dadi
08-12-2004, 08:41 PM
There's nothing quite like the placebo effect eh? :P

sshhhh cmon tam :wink: :wink: