PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temp Sensor?

biznaka
05-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Hey guys, so I was going to change my oil today for the first time and I noticed a string attached from the oil pan to above the filter. Is this a oil temperature sensor? Can I still change my oil fine, or should I have mitsu do it?

Thanks

earlyapex aka jack ass
05-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Yes that is the temp sensor and yes it spins in the fitting, you can change your oil like normal.

bluevoiix
05-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Where is this string at?? ive changed my oil twice and havent noticed it?? is this stock??

earlyapex aka jack ass
05-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Only on EVO's with the factory gauge pack.

Ben
05-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Would anyone happen to know the size wrench I would need for that drain plug with the oil temp fitting? I've been using an adjustable wrench because I have no other wrenches close to that size.

redvolution
05-14-2007, 10:39 AM
it's either 17mm or 19mm; can't remember

tirbolag9
05-14-2007, 09:22 PM

you would have to use an open end wrench too. unless there is a socket that will fit around the temp sensor wire.

crctslt
05-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Stock w/o sender is 17mm. I have not seen the sender unit so I don't know.

bluevoiix
05-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Only on EVO's with the factory gauge pack.

Cool i have pretty good attention to detail, i thought i was crazy for a minute Hahah

Matz
05-16-2007, 07:29 AM

you would have to use an open end wrench too. unless there is a socket that will fit around the temp sensor wire.

Or try getting a flare nut wrench, where the end looks like this:

http://imgred.com/http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/48900/48835.JPG

jbfoco
05-16-2007, 07:55 AM

Or try getting a flare nut wrench, where the end looks like this:

http://imgred.com/http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/48900/48835.JPG

+1 i was just going to post that

MitsuMan
05-16-2007, 08:53 AM
using a line wrench is stupid just to loosen a drain plug. thats like using a sword to cut bread for a sandwich. just geta 17mm box end wrench

Ben
05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
^ Line wrench?

Matz
05-16-2007, 09:44 AM
using a line wrench is stupid just to loosen a drain plug. thats like using a sword to cut bread for a sandwich. just geta 17mm box end wrench

And how do you get box end wrench over a drain plug that has a sensor wire coming out of it? If you can figure out that puzzle, let me know. ;)

socalredline
05-16-2007, 10:12 AM
^most box end wrenches come with somthing called an open end wrench on the other side...
...if you wanted to get all UBER technical now...im sure that you could use a O2 sensor socket...it would go around the wire...

...but why use a sword to cut bread...

Matz
05-16-2007, 10:30 AM
^most box end wrenches come with somthing called an open end wrench on the other side...
...if you wanted to get all UBER technical now...im sure that you could use a O2 sensor socket...it would go around the wire...

We already brought up the open end wrench. Yes you can use it but it slips off a lot. That's why we talked about the flare nut wrench, which is hardly "using a sword to cut bread". You could use an O2 socket if it fit, but yeah that would be more uber insane than technical. :lol:

socalredline
05-16-2007, 10:44 AM
^:rofl:...i dont see the point of this...

you use the open end wrench to break the plug loose then you can back the plug out by hand...its really not that complicated to change your oil, y'all are putting WAY too much thought into it...you can use a crescent wrench for all intents and purposes...:lol:

Matz
05-16-2007, 12:13 PM
I didn't realize it was that easy. I always bring my car to the shop for my oil change and pay $100 because I couldn't figure out how to get that plug out.

AreSTG
05-27-2007, 06:38 PM
I didn't realize it was that easy. I always bring my car to the shop for my oil change and pay $100 because I couldn't figure out how to get that plug out.

was that sarcasm? in case it wasn't make sure you are getting the crush washers when u get your oem filters from the dealer, i get mine free when i buy my filters. That way you aren't tightening the bolt to the oil pan, you have a soft(by metal standards) cushion between them, probably making it easier to remove(and i know for sure easier to feel out the torque when tightening)

Matz
05-27-2007, 10:31 PM

was that sarcasm? in case it wasn't make sure you are getting the crush washers when u get your oem filters from the dealer, i get mine free when i buy my filters. That way you aren't tightening the bolt to the oil pan, you have a soft(by metal standards) cushion between them, probably making it easier to remove(and i know for sure easier to feel out the torque when tightening)

Aww, Tim, c'mon man, it's me, Dave! :) I was just kidding around there. But the crush washer is soft because it acts as a gasket to prevent leaks.

turbotiger
05-30-2007, 11:13 AM

A flare nut wrench works best on these types of bolts. Especially when you need the extra torque and reduce the change of slippage and rounding the bolt head like you would with a open end wrench.

Why use a fork to cut bread when you can use a bread knife?