PDA

View Full Version : Evo Down... my Evo is..

EvoVIII
08-07-2004, 08:04 AM
hi guys.... umm.. my Evo got into a Big trouble last light as I was driving home from Milpitas to Union City, once I got off 880 and into the Local.. as I accelarate and boost coming in I heard a very weird noise and the car doesn't pull and some how I heard a veeeeeee(like air Leaking) so i let go of the gas, try 1 more time, boost coming in, same sound, and suddenly, my car shaked and stall in the middle of the road and i roll to the side..
I try to start it back up, but it couldn't start, so I keep cranking, started it, and the RPM went up and down for 3-5sec from 100rpm-1000rpm and dead.. same thing as i try starting it over.. so I call my friend for help.. and he got over here, check the coolent, oil, hose, and leaking, but none.. try to start again, load of black smoke coming out from the exhaust, keep on giving gas, but once let go of the gas, car = dead.. so got the toll truck tow it back to a gas station..
here is the question, what could have went wrong with my car???????? I was totally freak out, only got 15000mile on it.... I am thinkin maybe is the Xede, Ecu, Turbo, Throttle Body, or BOV that is causing this trouble.. If some 1 have a OBD II scanner, I would really like to have you pleaseee help me out, I will do anyhing to make u happy, I'll pick you up, pay ur gas, dinner, tips, w/e that will make u happy :cry: my car is moded and if I bring it back to the dealer they won't cover it. if any 1 have any idea what happen, please help me out :cry: please... thx bros... one thing I wanted to tell you guys is taht I was very sad when I look at the rear view Mirror inside the toll truck, take care of you wife, baby it, don't always push ur car to the limit as it might break down just like mine.. I wouldn't want to see that happening to any of our Evos.. but now for me is too late as my car is aleady dead and need to be tolled..

Whooopasss
08-07-2004, 08:45 AM
take out you exed and start it again without it. when it does start, check if the cel light is on.

EvoVIII
08-07-2004, 08:45 AM
yes I took out the xede, yesterday night, and it was on, oh by the way, I am located at Hayward Tennyson rite now, so if anybody could come with a computer to check out what happen or where my car failed, please call 510 305-7884, I'll be hoping to see if any body can do me this favorite as I will own u guys Big time

Doug

vtluu
08-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Hey man, sorry to hear about your car troubles. When I first saw the subject I thought you'd crashed it. :shock: Car problems can happen whether or not you've got any mods to the car; maybe they're more likely to happen if you're modded, but regardless, it happens. It sucks but I wouldn't feel too bad about it, you can get it fixed and you'll be back on the road in no time. Part of the cost of having a high-performance sports car is needing to pay to fix it once in a while; if you wanted a perfectly reliable car you could've bought a 100-hp econobox, but what fun would that be? So cheer up, it's just car trouble--it'll probably cost a bit of money but it'll get fixed.

So yeah, I say don't baby your Evo. Autocross it, roadrace it, drag it, drift it, drive the snot out of it. It's a piece of (motor-)sports equipment, not an ornament for your driveway. And just like, say, a tennis racket, it needs to be maintained and fixed once in a while. So get it fixed, and enjoy it. :)

hellz Evo
08-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Hey dude we are in Stockton but if you have not found any help yet, call me. I will try to get my mechanic and I will bring him down to you. It is Saturday and we are closed but I will try my best to help. Call me in an hour at 209 477 7794. Sam

Whooopasss
08-07-2004, 10:23 AM
but it still starts right?... but when you hit the gas it dies? hmmmmm

nebolic
08-07-2004, 10:34 AM
you should give Pete and Tyler a call at WORKS rally and have them see if they can do anything to fix your problem. Actually on 2nd thought, since you have Vishnu stuff, you should give Shiv a call and ask him to take a look into it. I think if you search on EVOm you probably find someone with similar problems before, sort of, I can't remember what exactly it was and I cant seem to find it right now. Anyhow, did you check all your hoses, and are you running a stock intake? Maybe some hose blew off? Sorry to hear about your car bro.

Nebo

RonV
08-07-2004, 11:07 AM
I would check very closeley for an air leak in the intake system. I would actually take the front bumper off and check all of the FMIC hoses for a loose clamp/holes as well as the FMIC itself.

That being said, do the simple stuff first. Remove the Exede and try to see if it will run. If you have an intake, I would check the MAF sensor as well. See if the "honeycomb" is intact and free of debris.

The fact that your car has a "searching" idle before it finally stalls tells me it one of these 2 things. I'm pointing toward an air leak in your intake tract....

Let me know how it's going.

Ron

ez76
08-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Second what nebolic and RonV have said - this sounds a lot like an intercooler hose having blown off.

Good luck!

EvolvedDSM
08-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Second what nebolic and RonV have said - this sounds a lot like an intercooler hose having blown off.

Good luck!

+3

Definitely has symptoms of an intake/boost leak. Check all your couplers/clamps... not just visually. Pull, shake and squeeze them all.

EvoVIII
08-07-2004, 04:15 PM
ok here is what I found guys, the bottom 2 row of the FMIC is mashed together like peanut butter jelly Sandwitch, so I am assuming that there might be some kind of boost leak, and I heard the throttle Body is making some loud/weird noise, like its sucking air in from a different way, sometimes strong sometimes weak, but since the car is cold it idle sorty high so it got the car running for a min.... smokes still comes out very black smells very nasty, taking out the xede only helped a little bit so.... maybe, something failed.. neither the Intercooler, piping, or the throttle body.. oh and thanks Mike, for calling me and pointing out what to look for and giving me direction on what to do on the phone
if the FMIC is the real problem, should I get another Stock FMIC or an after market 1? but what if the Throttle body fails? how much would it be to replace a new 1? thx guys

ace33joe
08-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news, I can feel your pain. I also had my car towed once because transfer case filler plug was not fastened by a mechanic after fluid level check, and it popped out while I was driving.

Intercooler hose checking is not hard once you remove the plastic under trays. If it's the problem, I guess it's good time for installing the intercooler piping kit as you were planning to do it.

I hope you can get the problem fixed soon.

ace33joe
08-07-2004, 04:34 PM
the bottom 2 row of the FMIC is mashed together like peanut butter jelly Sandwitch, so I am assuming that there might be some kind of boost leak, and I heard the throttle Body is making some loud/weird noise, like its sucking air in from a different way, sometimes strong sometimes weak,

How was the FMIC damaged? Did you hit something? If it was damaged while you were driving, shouldn't it be covered by your insurance?

It is quite strange to hear the FMIC was damaged that way, because the metal mesh screen is supposed to protect them from foreign objects.

If the throttlebody is making weird noise, is there any chance that Idling control motor is malfunctioning?

EvoVIII
08-07-2004, 05:07 PM
well, u see my car is lowerd, and I hit and scratch the front lip a few times, 2 times were very loud too and it break the under body cover, I could even hear it with my window and radio turned on, thats why I get a new Lip for my car, but now I could easily scratch my front lip every time i get gas or going in & out of safeway especially when some1 is riding with me

DRFTR8
08-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Hey im glad your checking your FMIC like i said when i called you...i hope you get that fixed...

MarkSAE
08-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Smashed rows in the fmic shouldn't cause the problem you described. It sounds like you blew off an intercooler pipe. Have you checked the lower intercooler pipe to make sure it's still connected? The grey smoke you see coming out of your tail pipe when you start your car means your ECU is dumping in hella fuel. Try unplugging the MAF and starting the car up. If it starts up and runs better, then it would mean your IC pipe blew off.

ob4
08-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Did you get any codes? i think it's most likely a boost leak somewhere. with a bad enough boost leak the car would not start. I had the i/c pipe blow off while I was driving, the car died immedately.

-ob4

MitsuMan
08-08-2004, 12:54 PM
hey I'm busy right now but I have a scanner for obdII and I live in san jose 8) I can check it out for you for gas money if you like call me 408-857-8575 or I'll call you I can get my scanner from work on monday and have it around 600 if you need it get some brake cleaner and start the car then spray around the intake piping from after the MAS to the cylinder head and see if the rpms change that will locate any vacume(boost) leaks it sounds like your getting unmeterd air from somewhere or the maf failed k I gotta go to santa clara fair to watch my boss run his demolition derby car then I'll call you or you call me if I might forget good luck 8)

EvoVIII
08-09-2004, 12:19 AM
ok find the damn thing, the FMIC was a mess, those screws for the FMIC was all messed up and some are missing, which probably cause the FMIC to move around and the left side of the hose was disconnected , which is loosen and blown off.. I stucked them back together and the problem was fixed, the CEL was gone after I fix it and started a few time.. thanks for you guys help, but guess I should get another FMIC with new piping since my Stock FMIC were kinda messed up and the hose isn't holdin on pretty good.. guess my boost level were too high for the OEM hose + the virbaration :( .... scare da sh!t out of me, though I need a new engine..

ace33joe
08-09-2004, 12:33 AM
I am glad to hear you solved the problem.

I guess it's time to get better intercooler hose kit + T-clamps. :)

MarkSAE
08-09-2004, 12:34 AM
In the future, if you blow off an intercooler hose, you can unplug the MAF to drive the car home in limp mode. I'm glad to hear it was nothing major.

Evo8andahalf
08-09-2004, 12:35 AM
heh at least you have a reason to get something new for your car :D glad you got your car running again

EvoVIII
08-09-2004, 12:36 AM
hehe thx guys

DRFTR8
08-09-2004, 08:20 AM
^^...it was the FMIC like i mentioned...good that your car is running again..

MitsuMan
08-09-2004, 01:33 PM
cool man glad to here it I jmuped my evo over railroad tracks and crushed the bottom two rows of tube and fin on my fmic and it still works well and good 8)

hagakure
08-09-2004, 01:47 PM
speaking of good T-clamps, anyone know where to purchase these?

Percy

Gruppe-S
08-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Hey Douglas,

Damn! I also thought your engine blew up when I first read the headline of this thread. Glad you have solved the problems now tho!

But if you do need a FMIC right away, I have 3 GReddy V-spl in stock. Please give me a call. :)

Again, glad everything is ok.

Cal

EvoVIII
08-09-2004, 09:51 PM
does the Greddy FMIC include the lower piping too? and can u plz PM me the price?

ok today I drove my car home, idling still kinda lumpy at first, RPM kinda drop lower then usual but gotten little better after.. I launch my car a few times up to 3gear, but the car felt slower then b4... anybody got any idea?? and all my Guages got reset, EDFC was turned off by itself all the memory was lost, alarm(Clifford RS 3.5) gotten crazy keep saying my Trunk ain't close when ever I unlock my door.... please tell me why all this is happening, I didn't even disconnect my battery nor do anything else except taking out the xede and plug the orginal wire back into the ECU.. maybe when the accident happen something went wrong?? do I need to replace my sparkplugs?

MarkSAE
08-09-2004, 10:02 PM
I believe you reset your ECU when you took your XEDE out. Perhaps your car feels slower because you're now running untuned?

EvoVIII
08-09-2004, 10:37 PM
oh sh!t.... but I plug back the xede already.... :pissed: anybody have good experience on how the xede works? if the ECU really did got reset, will it erease my xede/Flash too? man that FuKin stupid cheap ass Clamp and sucky hose pisssss me off

MarkSAE
08-09-2004, 10:44 PM
It takes a while for your ECU to go through it's learning routine after being reset. How long did you drive your car around for?

EvoVIII
08-09-2004, 10:45 PM
like 10-15mins......

MarkSAE
08-09-2004, 10:55 PM
You gotta drive longer than that to get the ECU out of learning mode. Maybe drive another 20 minutes. Try to do a 5 minute cruise on a freeway as part of the drive.

nebolic
08-10-2004, 08:30 AM
maybe when you unplugged the xede the map got erased? make sure you have the correct map in the exede. Also, did you touch any of the boost lines when you unplugged the xede?

Nebo

EvoVIII
08-10-2004, 10:15 AM
didn't think I mess with the boost, maybe I'll take it to vishnu today to let them check everything since I live pertty close to them, 15mins drive, hope they will spend the time to help me out and have Ken pull the CEL for me to see if any other stuff went wrong