PDA

View Full Version : 0 oil pressure in Reno area!?? Strange

wokuku
05-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I drove my car to the Reno area over the weekend and whenever I stopped my oil light turns on. The defi oil pressure gauge shows 0 psi pressure!!!! I had to keep bumping the gas to keep the pressure on. Is this normal in high altitude area? I checked the oil level after I parked my car for couple hours and it is at full max so I don't understand why I was getting 0 oil pressure while idle. My car idle fine when I am back in the bay area so I am wondering if there is something I need to do when I travel to high altitude area.!!

mr05evo
05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
If everything is working right and to my knowledge high altitude should not effect your oil pressure. The only thing that should be affected due to altitude change is the air fuel ratio. That's kind of weird. Was that the only time the light came on(in reno)? I would keep an eye on that gauge and see if it changes in the next couple days. I would try also to simulate a altitude chage to try and recreate the scenario. Try driving up a hill and see what happens? Record if the oil pressure goes down on going up a hill, if it's down when level, but at a high altitude, going down a hill, etc.. If I find something like a TSB or recall I will let you and everyone else know. What year is your Evo?

wokuku
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Mine is a 06. The only modification done to it was a HKS drop-in filter and a tune. The problem showed up no matter if i am going uphill/downhill or at level. I first noticed it when I stopped for gas at around 3000 feet high.

Could it be that the tune is not suitable for high altitude?

mr05evo
05-21-2007, 06:05 PM
No the tune doesn't mess with oil pressure. The tune unually changes the perrameters (don't know how to spel) of the air fuel mixture, boost, timing, etc.. Is the light still on right now or you have it says you have low pressure?

wokuku
05-21-2007, 06:24 PM
No it is not on now under normal driving condition. It does flesh if the RPM drops betweel ~700 RPM

mr05evo
05-21-2007, 07:14 PM
There was guy who had the same problem as you. The only difference is he got the light to turn on at idle. He wasn't at a different altitude. He took it in to the dealerships and they looked at it and I guess they couldn't figure out. I don't know if he ever solved his problem. Here is a link to that thread.

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,18469.0.html

If you have access to a oil pressure gauge then there is a test you can test if the cylinder head is actually getting low oil pressure or if its the oil pressure/engine oil switch. If you have a gauge the pressure should be at 4.2 psi and at 3,500 rpm it should be at 43-100 psi. Of coarse this test is done when the engine is warmed to operating temperature. There is a special wrench tool to remove the Engine Oil Switch the part number is MD998054. Hopefully this helps. I think before you try and diagnosis this on your own you should take it in to the dealership if you still have your warranty. If you don't have your warranty then try this. Then at least you know if your engine is getting enough oil or not. Getting enough oil up top should be a big concern and taken care of right away. Let me know if you need any other help.

wokuku
05-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I forgot to mention that I have an APS BOV as well. Could it be due to the BOV and high altitude that makes the car idle weirdly in high altitude area thus no oil pressure?

mr05evo
05-22-2007, 11:03 AM
A blow off valve shoudn't mess with idle. When you run a atomspheric blow off valve it will make the system run richer due to the fact that instead of the air returning to the maf it's being realease causing the ecm to run a little richer mixture. Oil pressure is controled mechanicaly through the oil pump. If there was a blockage in the passage then that could cause the light come on and a low pressure indicator. It can also be a bad switch I would do the necesary steps that I told you previously. Where are you located?

wokuku
05-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I am in the east bay area. I did the pressure check it is at around 4.0 psi while idle and around 40 psi at 3,500 RPM.

mr05evo
05-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Was test done with a external (mechnical) pressure gauge or was the test done by one of your gauges that's hooked up to the Engine Oil Pressure Switch?

wokuku
05-22-2007, 01:13 PM
This was done by my Defi Oil Pressure gauge with its own oil pressure sensor hooked to the head area.

mr05evo
05-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Alright well it seems to be with in manufacture specifications. Do you still have warranty?