PDA

View Full Version : dyno graph for helix dp and 3" HKS hiper

blitzkrgCT9A
01-06-2004, 03:31 PM
http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/EVODyno.jpg

Red is baseline

Blue is Helix downpipe mated w/ HKS hiper exhaust.

vtluu
01-06-2004, 04:13 PM
:shock: Nice! The DP and exhaust are your only mods? That baseline number seems fairly high compared to the baselines I've seen elsewhere. Where did you do the dyno run? What kind of gas were you using?

blitzkrgCT9A
01-06-2004, 04:23 PM
This was done at the ATP in Fremont w/ 91 octane. Yeah their dyno reads higher than usual as we all know. but its the increase of hp in % that we are focusing.
I will try to get it dyno'd at Shivs when time permits. :)

DB8GSR
01-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Cal... gains looks pretty good specially with just 2 mods. :D

blitzkrgCT9A
01-07-2004, 12:59 AM
actually the car was tested w/ dp, 3" hi-flo cat, and exhaust.

mine is dp, no cat, and exhaust.. I want to get mine dyno'd soon.. :)

JanSolo
01-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Where did you get the hiflow cat? And how much did you rich guys pay for that?

I figured I could get a hiflow cat for the street and then throw a testpipe for track days.

blitzkrgCT9A
01-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Where did you get the hiflow cat? And how much did you rich guys pay for that?

I figured I could get a hiflow cat for the street and then throw a testpipe for track days.

The hi-flow cat is still a test unit. will be announced shortly :)

JanSolo
01-07-2004, 01:28 AM
The hi-flow cat is still a test unit. will be announced shortly :)

You tease.

PS: Are those HKS hiflow filters in stock yet? I ordered mine a short while ago, but no word yet. :(

vtluu
01-07-2004, 01:56 AM
N00b question, but is a high-flow cat emissions legal? CARB exempt? Sometimes? Never?

howiEVO8
01-07-2004, 02:27 AM
that's a good question actually i'd like to know also...

leif
01-07-2004, 03:18 AM
no way man... the evo barley passes smog stock, never mind a high flow cat. you welcome to drive behind me when i floor it in my car and tell me if that would pass a test.

JanSolo
01-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Magnaflow has a cat that will pass California emissions tests.

Check it out here. (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/converters/converter04.htm)

vtluu
01-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jan, I'll see if I can dig up the CARB paperwork. I'm still leaning towards keeping my stock cat, if only because that's required to stay in Street Prepared class for auto-x. Final classing of the Evo should happen this year and if it gets moved out of ESP (which many say it will) I'll probably say "f it" and just go to Street Modified class--where almost anything goes mod-wise. 8)

vtluu
01-07-2004, 10:47 AM
FYI, here's a link to the CARB exemption paperwork for the MagnaFlow; I couldn't find it until I read "MagnaFlow is the Performance Division of Car Sound Exhaust System, Inc." on MagnaFlow's "about us" page.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-193-24.pdf

Heh, a quote:

6. Car Sound Exhaust System, Inc. and its vendors may not advertise the new aftermarket catalytic converter as a "high or easy flow" catalytic converter or use any phrase that could make it appear to perform better than an OEM catalytic converter. :wink:

BTW, which of the models would go on an Evo?

blitzkrgCT9A
01-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Jan, No word yet from the HKS shipment. :( I am guessing sometime next week.. Im dying to get my wheels too :(

vtluu
01-10-2004, 01:42 PM
FYI, here's a link to the CARB exemption paperwork for the MagnaFlow; I couldn't find it until I read "MagnaFlow is the Performance Division of Car Sound Exhaust System, Inc." on MagnaFlow's "about us" page.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-193-24.pdf

Hmm. I reviewed the above document and noticed it says:

[...] the above catalytic converter is exempt from the prohibitions in Vehicle Code Section 27156 for installation on the approved vehicle applications specified in Appendix A [...]
However the table in appendix A lists only GM vans and trucks, so technically the exemption/CARB approval does not apply to the Evo. :(

howiEVO8
01-10-2004, 09:58 PM
sure it does! GM owes a small chunk of mitsubishi now i think lolz

howiEVO8
01-10-2004, 10:01 PM
jk jk...that's Chrysler hehe = p

hmmm...how bout random technologies?

vtluu
01-11-2004, 01:23 AM
hmmm...how bout random technologies?
Well... Looking at the Random Technology home page (http://www.randomtechnology.com/index.html) it says:

Please note that no aftermarket catalytic converters are legal for installation in California on OBD II vehicles (some 1994 & 1995, and all 1996 and later vehicles).
:( But they do have a cat for Evo 8, sold at Options Auto Salon (http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_information.asp?number=RT-703007&variation=&aitem=2&mitem=6&back=yes&dept=1021) whose listing says:

This design, which meets Federal EPA and California ARB requirements, enables virtually any vehicle with a properly tuned engine to meet emissions standards with little, if any power loss (compared to an exhaust with no catalytic converter)
I'm inclined to believe RT rather than the site selling the product, since the former will know a lot more than the latter. But their assertion about not OBD II aftermarket cats being legal is clearly incorrect since I can go to the CARB website and find a (short) list for OBD II exempt cats.

Where does this leave us? Dunno. I read over parts of the vehicle code today and there is a provision that states that basically, if you're cited for having an illegal exhaust mod, if you can get the car smogged and get a certificate to the effect that your car passes smog (and noise?), the court can dismiss the citation--meaning you're effectively exempt henceforth.

I think there's something to be said for obeying the spirit--rather than the letter--of the law. Still, getting cited would still be a huge hassle.

JanSolo
01-11-2004, 02:01 AM
I talked to a friend of mine who is a local SJPD officer and he more or less simply looks underneath the car for a cat. If the aftermarket hiflow cat looks like a stock cat, they won't be able to tell and you will get away with it. I plan to find a hiflow that looks as close as possible to the OEM one.

howiEVO8
01-11-2004, 02:23 AM
I talked to a friend of mine who is a local SJPD officer and he more or less simply looks underneath the car for a cat. If the aftermarket hiflow cat looks like a stock cat, they won't be able to tell and you will get away with it. I plan to find a hiflow that looks as close as possible to the OEM one.

doesn't the random tech look like a stock cat? hehe...ummm

what's a name of another hi flow cat company?

vtluu
01-11-2004, 03:12 AM
The Random Tech one seems too shiny to look like a stock cat, but you could sand it I guess. Anyway after a while the cat will get covered in dirt and grime and dust and crap so they probably all look the same after that. :lol:

What does the stock cat look like anyway?

JanSolo
01-11-2004, 11:06 AM

Here's a free tip - if you look underneath your car, you'll see the stock cat! ;)

evo_dadi
01-11-2004, 02:06 PM
its that triangular metal pipe in the middle of the bottom of the car.

howiEVO8
01-12-2004, 05:30 AM

Here's a free tip - if you look underneath your car, you'll see the stock cat! ;)

lolz

howiEVO8
01-12-2004, 05:31 AM

so does the Random Tech cat look like a stock cat?

howiEVO8
01-12-2004, 05:42 AM

well, i just looked at the RT Cat, and it looks shiny...hehe, well not shiny but a bit on the polished side, as for the stock cat, i forgot what it looks like...

anywho, so can you go from 3" DP to 4" high flow cat to 3" cat-back? :D

blitzkrgCT9A
01-13-2004, 12:25 AM

well, i just looked at the RT Cat, and it looks shiny...hehe, well not shiny but a bit on the polished side, as for the stock cat, i forgot what it looks like...

You can go from 3" dp to 4" high flow cat if you can make it fit.. hahaha the flanges on the 4" hi-flow cat probably won't fit onto the 3" dp and exhaust ;)

but in all seriousness, 3-4-3 will probably cause erratic exhaust turbulance and may also cause boost creep or spike.

howiEVO8
01-13-2004, 05:02 AM

You can go from 3" dp to 4" high flow cat if you can make it fit.. hahaha the flanges on the 4" hi-flow cat probably won't fit onto the 3" dp and exhaust ;)

but in all seriousness, 3-4-3 will probably cause erratic exhaust turbulance and may also cause boost creep or spike.

haha...just a question = P

EvoVIII
01-20-2004, 12:47 AM
umm how about the Cat from Ultimate Racing?