PDA

View Full Version : Profiling FTL :p

superfleajq
05-22-2007, 03:22 PM
So I just washed my car this morning, and because I didn't want water spots to appear on the front windows, I decided not to roll them down until they dried...

Well, lucky me, because just 3min after driving from my house, a cop going in the opposite direction I was going decided to bust a u-turn to go and pull me over...and did he decide to pull over the Nissan Altima that was speeding past me on my right side? No, although honestly that's what I thought was going to happen when I saw him make the u-turn. Afterall, I was going the speed limit: 40mph on Saratoga-Sunnyvale Rd, and the Altima must have been doing ~48-50mph.

Alas, he decides to weave through traffic to get behind me and pull me over right after I take a right turn onto prospect...and for what? Tinted windows. My windows aren't super dark, but they are 35% up front.

The first thing he asks me before even asking for my drivers license or registration was "So, you must go Saratoga High School?"

In which I respond kindly, "no officer, I actually graduated from San Jose State 2 years ago." Then he asks for my drivers license and registration. I guess being asian and looking young might mean that I'm still in high school... *sigh* Though the cop was nice, and I understand he was "doing his duty," I really wanted to ask him why he didn't pull over the Altima that was speeding past me... is it because I drive an Evo, and the Altima is a family sedan? Hmm...

Anyway, this is the first time I've been pulled over in the Evo, and I just wanted to vent...

-- edit -- for those that don't read an entire post, I bolded what I got pulled over for :p

byt
05-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Saratoga cops are crap.

drunk monkey
05-22-2007, 03:25 PM
so what did he pull you over for?

i mean if its for tinted front windows -- you just gave him an excuse to pull you over, even more so, as he was profiling you in the beginning.Â*

CHP was doing this to me the other day for my exhaust but he could not pull me over just for an exhaust as its wasnt loud. he was looking up and down on my car for something to pull me over, even front plate as he peer over to the side to make sure there isnt a plate.

byt
05-22-2007, 03:26 PM
so what did he pull you over for?

Alas, he decides to weave through traffic to get behind me and pull me over right after I take a right turn onto prospect...and for what? Tinted windows. My windows aren't super dark, but they are 35% up front.

UCB
05-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Sucks man. Only been pulled over twice in the evo. Both times I was going WOT right in front of a cop. 1 ticket, 1 verbal lashing :P

Lurk
05-22-2007, 03:35 PM
That cop must have been bored. I just drove by 2 CHP's on the freeway today with 15% tint all around, and they didn't give me a second look. *knock on wood*

byt
05-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Only time I was ever pulled over in the evo was for running a light that was out. Didn't see the light so the cop let me go with a warning but the first thing he did check for was the front plate. They just love the big wing...

mtsevovii
05-22-2007, 03:40 PM
yeah, that sucks. ive only had cop problems once. the first month i got the car. similar to what you did. just driving around the block.

i actually get less looks/prob from cops with the way i have my car right now. (which surprises me) maybe they think i have enough to worry about driving my evo as is...

**knocks on wood** as well

Limeyboy
05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Pulled over once - I was exceeding 100 mpg on 280 (I reserve the right to not say how much). Its no excuse, but I was late for a wedding. He didn't care about the mods, just gave me a ticket for 90 in a 65 and sent me on my way.

Other than that, never been pulled in my own evo. Even got radar'd by a Cupertino cop yesterday.. was 45 in a 30. He looked at me and I looked at him as I drove by... and he did nothing. Probably 'white guy' profiling at work.

As soon as I ever let other people drive my Evo, the cops light em up real quick, especially when I let asian friends drive (one colleague drove my car twice. Got pulled over twice. He was doing 35 in a 30. Cop tried to write him up for it, but gave up when he saw his texas drivers license.)

awdaddict
05-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Pulled over once - I was exceeding 100 mpg on 280 (I reserve the right to not say how much). Its no excuse, but I was late for a wedding. He didn't care about the mods, just gave me a ticket for 90 in a 65 and sent me on my way.

Other than that, never been pulled in my own evo. Even got radar'd by a Cupertino cop yesterday.. was 45 in a 30. He looked at me and I looked at him as I drove by... and he did nothing. Probably 'white guy' profiling at work.

As soon as I ever let other people drive my Evo, the cops light em up real quick, especially when I let asian friends drive (one colleague drove my car twice. Got pulled over twice. He was doing 35 in a 30. Cop tried to write him up for it, but gave up when he saw his texas drivers license.)

DWA, Driving while Asian... something like that...
*shrugs*
Another example why US society is not progressing.
"The East is close-minded and traditional. The West is open-minded"
^
Ha...

turbotiger
05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Everyone I know who has tinted windows up front has been pulled over at least once.

spoolin
05-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Dude, that is such bull.... Thats really pathetic that he pulled you over in the first place. I've never been profiled (im white) and i think its absolute horse s*^$ that there is still racial profiling going on. Makes me sick.

UCB
05-22-2007, 07:18 PM
I doubt he racially profiled him with the tinted windows 8)

awdaddict
05-22-2007, 07:21 PM
I doubt he racially profiled him with the tinted windows 8)

+1
I was commenting on Limeyboy's stuff anyways ;)

superfleajq
05-22-2007, 07:23 PM
I was more concerned w/ the fact that he busted a u-turn to pull me over, instead of the guy speeding past me on my right... more like "car profiling," and then "young-kid" profiling... he assumed i just got out of class from high school, even though I graduated from college 2 years ago! :p

racial profiling, car profiling, whatever kind of profiling FTMFTL!

SilverStreak
05-22-2007, 07:27 PM
As mentioned, if you have tints up front you are going to be hassled for it.

As for why he didn't nab the Altima, well it was in front of you and probably speeding away. So you were an easier target. Nothing that can be done there.

Granted it's a load of crap, but that's what you get for living in CA. Front tints are illegal, and the Sherriff's dept doesn't have anything better to do.

Limeyboy
05-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Ive never been a fan of cops. I find the "I'm always right, you are always wrong" attitude to be incorrect.

PS. Ive heavy tint all round.

awdaddict
05-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Ive never been a fan of cops. I find the "I'm always right, you are always wrong" attitude to be incorrect.

PS. Ive heavy tint all round.

+1 on the attitude.
Power trip ftl.

I don't have tint, but I have a loud exhaust. I put my front plate on just in case.
No, not going wingless. I'll have to sell my car before I go wingless.

Ben
05-22-2007, 07:34 PM
I think it's funny that I've been pulled over in my Evo for actually driving like a jackass but I've been pulled over in my old Tacoma and 200sx se-r way more times for bullshit reasons having nothing to do with me breaking any laws. The 200sx was bad because I got pulled over leaving my neighborhood for absolutely no reason other than "I looked suspicious" then an hour later coming back into the neighborhood I got pulled over because there was a car exactly like mine that was stolen in the neighborhood. Yeah right. Then in my Tacoma I was pulled over by a cop tailing me from downtown Walnut Creek all the way up Ygnacio Valley into Concord. I asked him why he was tailing me for so long and he told me because there have been robberies in the area I passed by. I know they are doing their jobs but it really did feel like shit being pulled over 'cause a cop thought I was up to no good when I was just passing through an area.

superfleajq
05-22-2007, 07:48 PM
I just left the house in an Isuzu trooper, and I see this lifted toyota pickup truck w/ no doors on passenger or driver side, and no headlights or taillights... then I see a vw jetta w/ windows that are significantly darker than mine. Wonder if they get pulled over often..

UCB
05-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I was more concerned w/ the fact that he busted a u-turn to pull me over, instead of the guy speeding past me on my right... more like "car profiling," and then "young-kid" profiling... he assumed i just got out of class from high school, even though I graduated from college 2 years ago! :p

racial profiling, car profiling, whatever kind of profiling FTMFTL!

dude I cant lie, sometimes I make the same mistake. For some asians (esp the girls), they could be 16 or 26 :P

earlyapex aka jack ass
05-22-2007, 09:46 PM
I guess being asian and looking young might mean that I'm still in high school...

I got a good one for everyone. About 8-10 years ago, while living in socal, I used to get pulled over all the time in my DSMs. I lived in suburbia and there was literally nothing else for the local law enforcement to do.

Anyway, this one pullover took the cake over all the others though. Keep in mind at the time I had long hair and was a bit unshaven, yes, even more than I am today. Anyway so I was driving my 95 talon, which, other than fellow dsmers, nobody knows what the hell kinda car it was at the time. I get pulled over, I was doing nothing whatsoever, going the speed limit, etc etc.

So I do the normal routine, keys on the roof, hands on the steering wheel. Cop comes over, gun drawn, other cop around the other side. I see the gun and go "whoa! what is that for officer!"

he demands I get out, so I do, does the whole throw my face on the hood thing, checks my pockets, all that jazz. At this point I am like wtf have I done? Keep in mind I have a totally clean record. So he tells me to sit on the curb. I ask him what I have done.

Cop: "Nothing that we can see yet".

Me: "Then why am I sitting on this curb with you guys?"

Cop: "Well I think you know why."

Me. "Uhm, no I honestly I have no idea"

Cop. "Well, you don't exactly look like the kind of person that would be driving a car like this now do you?"

Me. "Huh? wha... what kinda person would that be?"

Cop. "You're too white, you need to be Asian with spikey hair"

Me. "WHAAAAAAT??? So let me get this straight, you pulled me over because I am white?"

Cop. "Yes."

Me. "Wow, really? Did you really just pull me over because I am white driving this car?"

Cop. "Yes."

:x :shock: :?

missred
05-22-2007, 09:55 PM
bwahahahaha... Damn!! So what happened after when they realize they made a boobo?

tkeirin
05-22-2007, 09:58 PM
:shock:

thats hella messed up

earlyapex aka jack ass
05-22-2007, 10:06 PM
bwahahahaha... Damn!! So what happened after when they realize they made a boobo?

They thought I stole the car and wanted to search the car. I ask them if they had ran my license yet so I could be on my way. They search my car, then run the license. Then tell me "be careful and you can go now". Gee thanks.

I have lots of stories like that from the OC. Yay.

UCB
05-22-2007, 10:08 PM
good thing you left you weed at home that day, brah :lol:

spoolin
05-22-2007, 11:06 PM
LMAO. Reverse profiling FTWTF???

kinetics
05-22-2007, 11:28 PM
that's some funny stuff man...was the cop asian??? or was he a fellow caucasian??? well i've gotten pulled over also for tinted windows but i'm lucky enough to know the cops that work in ER at the hospital i work at and they were pretty cool about signing it without me taking the tint off...and just my observation, i think the cops in the bikes are the worst!!!!

BigEd925
05-23-2007, 12:16 AM
I had long hair and was a bit unshaven, yes, even more than I am today.

Did you look a lil somthing like this? I dont blame them.

http://extremecatholic.blogspot.com/images/angry-hobo.jpg

ST
05-23-2007, 10:17 AM
"They see me rollin..
They hatin...
Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty....
Tryin to catch me ridin dirty....

Police think they can see me lean
I'm tint so it ain't easy to be seen
When you see me ride by they can see the glean...."

EuGeNiLe
05-23-2007, 12:54 PM
When it comes to modified cars and if I was a cop, I would profile the AZNs too, and I'm filipino (if you consider that asian), almost certain they got something done.

Lets face it, this is going to be a regular deal.

Some of my african american friends tell me, yea now yall know how it is. haha

Come on asians, stop buying these cars, start buying domestic muscle until they start getting heat, then go back to imports.

UCB
05-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah...lets all change our spending habbits/hobbies and take one right up the corn hole, out of fear of the man

Yeah no thanks.

Ben
05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
When it comes to modified cars and if I was a cop, I would profile the AZNs too, and I'm filipino (if you consider that asian), almost certain they got something done.

Come on asians, stop buying these cars, start buying domestic muscle until they start getting heat, then go back to imports.

You know it's funny 'cause the people I see driving the craziest on public roads are either teenagers with riced out econoboxes or moms driving suv's or minivans. If I was a cop I would profile these groups of people.

superfleajq
05-23-2007, 02:39 PM

With your statement, you're basically saying that it's OK to profile. That it's OK that if you're black, that it's ok to assume that you may be dealing drugs or out to kill someone, or that if you're of muslim faith that you're a terrorist. You're basically saying that you're ok with it, and we should just accept that that's how it is.

I'm not saying that it's not going to happen, that cops will stop profiling or stereotyping, I'm simply venting. :p

Ben
05-23-2007, 03:13 PM
^ It sucks and you really feel like scum while the cops try to dig up every and any reason to toss you in the back of their squad car. It's a fact of life here in America. You just gotta get used to it. The darker your skin and the nicer the neighborhood you're in means the more trouble you're in for driving while colored (black, asian, hispanic, indian you name it). I definately don't condone it because I've been pulled over many times while abiding the rules just because I was in a nice neighborhood (or even my own) and didn't look like I belong. But, you just gotta get used to it. I wish we were all purple or something. No colors to classify ourselves as. Just people.

Darwinator
05-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Hmmm....i work and park on the Saratoga High School parking lot. Maybe he's seen my car there as i park right by the road, and thought you were me. That fucker was probably trying to get me? Â*

ZK
05-25-2007, 09:39 AM

I'm thinking a Vette would be pretty nice... Although, I hope they don't pull me over because I'm not white and over 50.

player67
05-26-2007, 12:17 AM
I've gotten pulled over 8 times in my evo:
3x for speeding/wreckless driving (bad idea, I drive granny now 'cause my record is hanging by a thread)
1x Carpool when it was OKAY to drive in the carpool lane BUT he was just "regulating the highway" or some shit...
1x Driving too slow 35 in a 45 on Diablo in Danville
1x I was the only one at Hayward runs to get pulled over out of 40 cars. I wasn't racing and I was stock, so no worries. And they didn't say anything about influence of illegal activity or whatev
1x Took off rear dealer plate before my real plates came in about a week after I got the car
1x For starting to move my vehicle before I turn on my headlamps in a lit gas station at night. I turned them on 2 seconds after.

I only got cited for the speeding violations. Others were all warnings. Sucks to have an evo :lol:

player67
05-26-2007, 12:23 AM
^ It sucks and you really feel like scum while the cops try to dig up every and any reason to toss you in the back of their squad car. It's a fact of life here in America. You just gotta get used to it. The darker your skin and the nicer the neighborhood you're in means the more trouble you're in for driving while colored (black, asian, hispanic, indian you name it). I definately don't condone it because I've been pulled over many times while abiding the rules just because I was in a nice neighborhood (or even my own) and didn't look like I belong. But, you just gotta get used to it. I wish we were all purple or something. No colors to classify ourselves as. Just people.

Same here, I'm middle eastern (persian) and I can't count how many times I've been targeted. The thing is I learned to accept it because THAT'S HOW IT IS. Little kids at a rally can't change it, you killing yourself can't change it, nothing will change. Live your life, abide by the rules etc. I was almost arrested for driving 15 over the speed limit NEAR a residential, which in Dublin is called wreckless driving at 1 am. Cuffed, patted, sat in the back of the p71 for 10 minutes but my luck thinned out when they let me go with a ticket. To be honest, that has nothing to do with the dark skin profiling lol imho but my point is that people should start learning to accept the weight on our skin colors.

Ben
05-26-2007, 04:37 PM
^ Yeah that's what I'm saying. We all live in America. That's just how it is.

EuGeNiLe
05-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Yea thats just how it is and always will be, exactly what I was saying.

SilverStreak
05-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Just because that's how it is certainly doesn't make it right. It is terribly tragic that society is heading this way.

I am still all for officers being held accountable to some extent for what they do in such instances. It is unfair that they can do all this and still be protected by "the law". That is one of the main reasons why they get away with what they do.

I had a similar experience with an officer. I filed complaints with I.A and took it to court. While I ended up paying for court fees, it was still satisfying to hear the judge berate the officer in front of his peers. Nevertheless, as satisfying as it was-I shouldn't had to have been there in the first place.

We are a govt of checks and balances-this area of the law seems to go relatively unchecked.

*end rant*.