PDA

View Full Version : UTEC tuning

e8
08-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Where can I/should I get my UTEC tuned? I guess my options are...

-Works
-Gruppe S
-ATP

JanSolo
08-09-2004, 10:06 PM
The UTEC for the Evo. Lucky man! I've heard that Gruppe-s is going to start tuning Evos and from what I have gathered, they will tune UTECs. I don't know if WORKS or ATP tunes the Evo using the UTEC, but I've shown Pete from WORKS my wife's UTEC on her WRX, so he is familiar with it and knows how to use it. The interface on the Evo UTEC and WRX version seem to have
the exact same interface, so it should be a no brainer.

I have to ask, have you tried out the base maps for the UTEC yet?

leif
08-10-2004, 01:09 AM
id get shiv to do it, he doesn't just tune xede's you know.

e8
08-10-2004, 07:04 AM
The UTEC for the Evo. Lucky man! I've heard that Gruppe-s is going to start tuning Evos and from what I have gathered, they will tune UTECs. I don't know if WORKS or ATP tunes the Evo using the UTEC, but I've shown Pete from WORKS my wife's UTEC on her WRX, so he is familiar with it and knows how to use it. The interface on the Evo UTEC and WRX version seem to have
the exact same interface, so it should be a no brainer.

I have to ask, have you tried out the base maps for the UTEC yet?

I e-mailed Nathan at TurboXS and asked him if the stage 2 basemap would work on my car with 91 octane, and he said it would not and should get it custom tuned.

My TXS stage 2 should arrive sometime this week, so I haven't physically received the UTEC just yet. My fingers are crossed and I hope their exhaust isn't too loud.

id get shiv to do it, he doesn't just tune xede's you know.

Didn't know that.

Gruppe-S
08-12-2004, 02:15 PM
We can definitely help setup the UTEC on your EVO. Mike Warfield has been tuning the UTEC for a long time w/ the WRX, and recently he has fine tuned GB motorsports 500+whp EVO w/ UTEC as well. So he is quite knowledgeable of this EMS. On the side note our AWD dyno will soon be installed this month and we will start launching variety of EMS tuning services there after.

Thanks

Gruppe-S
510-498-8400

wilson1
08-12-2004, 02:32 PM
We can definitely help setup the UTEC on your EVO. Mike Warfield has been tuning the UTEC for a long time w/ the WRX, and recently he has fine tuned GB motorsports 500+whp EVO w/ UTEC as well. So he is quite knowledgeable of this EMS. On the side note our AWD dyno will soon be installed this month and we will start launching variety of EMS tuning services there after.

Thanks

Gruppe-S
510-498-8400

What kind of dyno?

JanSolo
08-12-2004, 03:29 PM
What kind of dyno?

Mustang AWD.

odyss3y
08-18-2004, 11:16 AM
utec > *

shiv talks enough shit about the utec i'd be suprised if he'd touch it

i've done a bit of tuning on different setups for utec's w/ subarus. wouldn't mind checking out the evo setup w/ the utec and do a little road tuning.

dave

Gone Racin
08-18-2004, 11:42 AM
..after talking to Pete we might add a Utec to our Brain flash. 8)

JanSolo
08-18-2004, 11:55 AM

I am thinking about doing the same thing.

Gone Racin
08-18-2004, 01:21 PM
...just don't steal your wife's Jan. :lol:

odyss3y
08-18-2004, 03:01 PM
...just don't steal your wife's Jan. :lol:his wife's?

e8
08-18-2004, 03:54 PM

i think he meant to say

"...just don't steal your wife's, Jan"
i forget which grammar rule this is.

or it could be
"...just don't steal your wife's UTEC, Jan"
or
"...Jan, just don't steal your wife's UTEC"

okay i'm done. bottom line, his wife has a UTEC. :P

odyss3y
08-18-2004, 04:02 PM

i think he meant to say

"...just don't steal your wife's, Jan"
i forget which grammar rule this is.

or it could be
"...just don't steal your wife's UTEC, Jan"
or
"...Jan, just don't steal your wife's UTEC"

okay i'm done. bottom line, his wife has a UTEC. :Plol not what i meant... its my utec/my tuning :) as in he'd be stealing my utec :/

Evo442
08-18-2004, 05:26 PM

sorry - but who is Pete? ie Pete at works?

Evo442
08-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Why a UTEC over the AEM EMS?

JanSolo
08-18-2004, 05:39 PM
For one, the car turns over when you turn the key.

JanSolo
08-18-2004, 05:40 PM
sorry - but who is Pete? ie Pete at works?

Yep! That would be The Pete RT is talking about.

Evo442
08-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Hmmm.... timeframe??

wilson1
08-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Is Works carrying the utec?

JanSolo
08-18-2004, 08:16 PM
No, but WORKS can get it for a good cost, as can Gruppe-S and MPJ Performance.

wilson1
08-18-2004, 08:49 PM
what are they going for these days?

Gone Racin
08-18-2004, 09:50 PM
...sorry Mrs. Solo. :oops:

Evo442
08-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Jan - what sorts of things will the utec let me do over/in addition to the P2 Flash?

JanSolo
08-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Jan - what sorts of things will the utec let me do over/in addition to the P2 Flash?

Just a note - I am not an expert on the UTEC by any means. I would talk to MalibuJack on EvoM or the guys from TurboXS for a full run down on what it can do.

That said, it can do quite a few things, but I think what is going to be most relevant to you is the ability to switch maps on the fly. For instance, you can turn off the UTEC completely thereby using the WORKS P2 tune and then switch to another map as you deem appropriate (ie: valet map with 1k rev limiter and no boost, 100 octane map, etc.).

I love my P2, and I am considering getting a UTEC just so I can switch maps. My hope is to buy it and to get Pete @ WORKS to tune it for a higher octane map, which will allow me to run higher boost, etc etc. Team this with the WORKS water injection and you will have an amazing combination (ie: running race gas and water injection to create a very aggressive tune if desired).

Right now, the Evo UTEC is missing a few features, but apparently they will be coming shortly. For instance:

Primary rev-limit control
Standalone fueling control
Injector scaling
Software support for a MAF translator kit

Gone Racin
08-19-2004, 07:46 AM
…^ we’re on the same wavelength bud. 8)

odyss3y
08-19-2004, 10:14 AM
i dont believe the rev limiter can be switched based on the map position as it is not part of a map, but a setup field (atleast thats how it is on the wrx). however boost could be setup to be limited to the wastegate limit (no idea what that is in the evo). as far as running higher boost, i dunno w/ your car if i'd do that just yet as i'm not familiar with your efficiency ranges, but the main benefit would be the timing you could increase.

Gone Racin
08-19-2004, 11:18 AM
We run a blend of 91 octane supreme and 100 octane unleaded race fuel and will be looking for fuel map management at first. In the short term we’ll have WORKS bump us up to the 93 octane flash.

8)