PDA

View Full Version : BOV advice

Limeyboy
05-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Hi all,
I tried a search but didnt turn much up on what I wanted to get a real world feel for. Therefore, I would like to ask your opinions.

I have a stock viii BOV and its already leaking like a rampant virgins crotch. Im thinking of several options:

I dont run a stupid high boost - maybe 22/23. Question is:

- Evo IX BOV
- JDM MR IX BOV
- Aftermarket Recirc

I dont intend to boost higher in the next year (the plot thickens), but I do want a BOV that I will not have to change out in under 30k miles because it was an inferior component (plastic.. cough).

thanks for your feedback

SpeedElement
05-31-2007, 12:10 AM
just run the IX BOV (BPV) or JDM unit. they are the same. We call it JDM MR BPV is because that was the year when the metal by-pass valve came standard on JDM MR models.

This is the best one you can upgrade for an VIII when running stock turbo.

gohdunlam
05-31-2007, 12:12 AM
hey im selling my evo9 bov if ur interested

Limeyboy
05-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks SpeedElement!

byt
05-31-2007, 03:08 PM
I have a stock viii BOV and its already leaking like a rampant virgins crotch.

LOL :D

EuroEclipse
05-31-2007, 04:40 PM
I have a stock viii BOV and its already leaking like a rampant virgins crotch.

LOL :D

+1 LOL
And yes, SpeedElement is right.

player67
05-31-2007, 06:07 PM
EVO IX = JDM MR which is perfect for the boost youre running. Any higher you could start THINKING about aftermarket

Limeyboy
05-31-2007, 06:18 PM
thanks everyone :)

lncrevoviii
05-31-2007, 06:57 PM
it requires some work, tools, screws and such. Its cheap. No I havn't done it. I never get shit right.
I would just buy a IX DV or JDM MR DV.
But if you think you can do shit right and you know you can do it, then why not?
give it a shot, since you are gonno buy a IX DV anyway ;).

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=101677

I think JessmanEVO tried this and he said the plastic one after that mod holds boost way better.

EuroEclipse
05-31-2007, 07:27 PM
The first person I see ghettofab something like that on their $30k car gets a punch in the face.

(I'm in a punch stupid people mood right now :) )

Lurk
05-31-2007, 07:28 PM
I wonder if the old DSM trick of crushing the top of the BOV would work on the metal JDM MR/IX BOV's . :lol:

Limeyboy
05-31-2007, 07:31 PM
The first person I see ghettofab something like that on their $30k car gets a punch in the face.

LOL.. Nothing wrong with ghettofab, as long as its done professionally LOLOL :D

EuroEclipse
05-31-2007, 07:38 PM
Sorry to say, but that's taking the honda / dsm approach. I can say that because I used to own a DSM. Proud to say, it was never ghetto.

Limeyboy
05-31-2007, 07:58 PM
I love my car. Its also my daily driver. I put a lot of miles on it, and really, at the end of it all, I know I will strip her down and refurbish her all from scratch. Its nice to see others taking pride in the Evo. They certainly deserve it. Good luck with your ride man :)

EuroEclipse
05-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks. Same to you.

lncrevoviii
05-31-2007, 09:44 PM

(I'm in a punch stupid people mood right now :) )

so easy to talk smack on the net.

"(I'm in a punch stupid people mood right now :) )"
WOW. You serious. :lol:

Also, calm down. You think guys ghettofabbing their car don't love their car.
Also, sounds like this is the first time you bought a $30k car. And guess what its only 30k not 300k.

I was trying to help LimeyBoy and I did mention that "if he wants to try it" then do it. I didn't say he has to.

Bottom line, your comment was fucked up. A lot of Evo owners "ghettofab" their cars, I want you to go and punch all of them. BTW, welcome to the world of modding where the possibilites never end.

Peace.

Lurk
05-31-2007, 09:53 PM
^Word. I think EuroEclipse seemed to forget that the EVO isn't that "high class" of a car in the first place. Maybe it's a big step up for him though, since he came from an Eclipse. :lol:

But trust me, there are plenty of people with Porsches, AMG's, BMW M cars, Ferrari's, etc that would call an EVO JapCrap even if your car had all ARC shit on it. But who cares. As long as you like your car, do what you please with it. Shit, go run 87 octane if it makes u happy. :lol:

Lurk
05-31-2007, 09:57 PM
BTW, WTF is a "Euro Eclipse" anyway? :lol:

earlyapex aka jack ass
05-31-2007, 10:11 PM

They had DSM's in Germany so I guess that would be a Euro Eclipse. ;)

Lurk
05-31-2007, 10:18 PM

Right on. Thx for clearing that up. I guess the guy I directed that question to didn't want to answer it. http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/laughing2.gif

EuroEclipse
05-31-2007, 10:34 PM

Because I'm half German and bought my first DSM in Europe. Just a forum name that has stuck since I was 16.

EuroEclipse
05-31-2007, 10:34 PM

correct

EuGeNiLe
06-01-2007, 08:56 AM
2g DSMs in europe have the nicer side mirrors, they fold in!

PANGES
06-01-2007, 09:07 AM

Because I'm half German and bought my first DSM in Europe. Just a forum name that has stuck since I was 16.

Wow. So that name has stuck with you all 2 months now?? :shock:

I'm jk I'm jk!!! I'm not getting in the middle of this crazy forum cock fight. :lol:

IMO, a 30k car does seem pretty expensive especially when you're used to driving cars only worth a couple grand. Alot of people bitch about the Evo being really cheap inside and uncomfortable. lol. I thought the Evo was pretty nice and luxurious after coming from my 89 240sx. :lol:

Limeyboy
06-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Inside of the Evo is great IMHO. Sure its not like some of these psudo uber luxury cars inside, but its certainly better thana lot of Euro cars. ITs got the guts and grunt to surpass near most of what is driving on 4 wheels today. Bring on the speed.

PANGES
06-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Limeyboy: Have you found a new bov yet? The IX/JDM MR bov is your best bet though. It's cheaper and works better. If you want an aftermarket recirc, alot of people are running those Forge units, but they seem to have some fluttering issues during partial throttle or so. You should be able to find a new IX/JDM MR bov for around 80-90 bucks or so and a used one for like around 60. :D

Hot8Evo
06-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Limeyboy: Have you found a new bov yet? The IX/JDM MR bov is your best bet though. It's cheaper and works better. If you want an aftermarket recirc, alot of people are running those Forge units, but they seem to have some fluttering issues during partial throttle or so. You should be able to find a new IX/JDM MR bov for around 80-90 bucks or so and a used one for like around 60. :D

I am selling a IX BOV with less than 200 miles and pmed him already about it...

simon,

If you really really need a BOV i can GIVE you my 8 bov with less than 500 miles (the plastic one)

Limeyboy
06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Hi E.. yeah I have had a couple of people offer me. Problem I have mainly is distance - i'm not going to spend 40 bucks in gas to go get a 60 buck part. For now, I flashed back to stock and put the original pill and solenoid back in. I'd rather not over-stress the turbo. I'll get a new BOV and do a full leak test as soon as the right opportunity comes up.

Limeyboy
06-01-2007, 09:25 AM

Did your other buyer no show? I can pick it (IX BOV) up tonight Marlin?

PANGES
06-01-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi E.. yeah I have had a couple of people offer me. Problem I have mainly is distance - i'm not going to spend 40 bucks in gas to go get a 60 buck part. For now, I flashed back to stock and put the original pill and solenoid back in. I'd rather not over-stress the turbo. I'll get a new BOV and do a full leak test as soon as the right opportunity comes up.

Well if you find someone that seems reliable, maybe you can have them mail it to you. Shouldn't be much at all since it's so tiny. Most likely maybe 4 bucks or so?

Hot8Evo
06-01-2007, 09:29 AM

Did your other buyer no show? I can pick it (IX BOV) up tonight Marlin?

My buyer will pick it up today, lets just play by the ear if not your the second one... If he do get it you can have my 8 BOV plastic for FREE i jusst need to find it in the storage....

lncrevoviii
06-01-2007, 09:36 AM
If not Limeyboy then I am third. haha

Lets make a line here.
But I am serious being the third. Although, I am pretty sure if the first one doesn't want it then Limeyboy will for sure pick it up, after seeing how much he hated "ghettofabing" and how bad he needs one. :)

Good Luck.

PANGES
06-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Ghettofab ftw. I have zipties holding my LICP so it doesn't droop down. I also zipties holding the ballasts for my HIDs to my ac lines. I'd rather not talk about the duct tape that was used to wrap the wires after soldering my wires for the turbo timer and o2 simulator when I couldn't find any electrical tape. :lol:

Limeyboy
06-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks Marlin, Let me know!!

lncrevoviii, I was a supporter of ghettofab - I will try the mod to the viii BOV , but not until I have something to replace it with in case it all goes wrong. The Evo is my daily.

I have zipties holding my LICP so it doesn't droop down
zipties FTMFW

lncrevoviii
06-01-2007, 10:13 AM

lncrevoviii, I was a supporter of ghettofab - I will try the mod to the viii BOV , but not until I have something to replace it with in case it all goes wrong. The Evo is my daily.

zipties FTMFW

Thats exactly what I meant. But people get so physical on the net now a days, wierd.

hahaha Eugene. Zipties rule.
Zipties are the thing that is holding the Earth so it doesn't fall deeper into space or worst case, Hell. :lol:
Zipties are the thing thats keeping the moon for not dropping on to the Earth.
Hurricane Katrina disaster could have been prevented if they could have just ziptied the Levees.

EuroEclipse
06-01-2007, 10:34 AM

I'm jk I'm jk!!! I'm not getting in the middle of this crazy forum cock fight. :lol:

IMO, a 30k car does seem pretty expensive especially when you're used to driving cars only worth a couple grand. Alot of people bitch about the Evo being really cheap inside and uncomfortable. lol. I thought the Evo was pretty nice and luxurious after coming from my 89 240sx. :lol:

Agreed. The IX interior is pretty nice. The VIII interior.. not so much. And don't worry, I can take a joke. I've been working on DSM's for over 8 years, and Evo's since 05 (since I spend most of the time in the desert and never got to see anyone mod their Evo). It just breaks my heart to see some cars the way I do. A few years of having to fix that crap, especially on a car you've wanted since being a child, takes its toll on you.

Anybody who got offended by my comments earlier, I'm sorry.

EuroEclipse
06-01-2007, 10:37 AM

zipties FTMFW

I will seriously just GIVE you my IX bov if you're local.

lncrevoviii
06-01-2007, 10:42 AM

Agreed. The IX interior is pretty nice. The VIII interior.. not so much. And don't worry, I can take a joke. I've been working on DSM's for over 8 years, and Evo's since 05 (since I spend most of the time in the desert and never got to see anyone mod their Evo). It just breaks my heart to see some cars the way I do. A few years of having to fix that crap, especially on a car you've wanted since being a child, takes its toll on you.

Its all good.
No hard feelings against you.

EuroEclipse
06-01-2007, 10:51 AM

Its all good.

It wouldn't bother me. I've seen people get flamed for less.

PANGES
06-01-2007, 10:54 AM

Its all good.

YAY!! Let's all be friends! Peace on earth!

BTW: Zipties aren't what hold the earth together. They're only there as a backup just in case the ducttape comes loose. :D

Limeyboy
06-01-2007, 10:55 AM
I will seriously just GIVE you my IX bov if you're local.

Wow thats a kind offer, nice of you! Where are you located? I see you mentioned desert before, so I'm guessing you are not in the south bay ;) I think I would feel awkward just taking something like that from someone - could I at least trade you some beer for it?

EuroEclipse
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm in Suisun. I mention desert because I've been to Iraq twice, Kuwait, and Afghanistan.

Honestly I don't need anything for it. I'll be back in town on the 3rd.

Limeyboy
06-01-2007, 11:44 AM
I remember Afghanistan.. I was on the north border 1996 through 1999, in Uzbekistan. Dry. and dont drink the tapwater, you will shit for a week. Ill PM you re the BOV

Hot8Evo
06-01-2007, 11:57 AM
YGPM Simon............

EuroEclipse
06-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I remember Afghanistan.. I was on the north border 1996 through 1999, in Uzbekistan. Dry. and dont drink the tapwater, you will shit for a week. Ill PM you re the BOV

PM'd you back.

Limeyboy
06-01-2007, 12:48 PM
thanks all!

PANGES
06-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Your Welcome!!! :D

SCevoIX
06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
/cry

why can't all the forums be like this? :p

Limeyboy
06-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Update: Got the IX BOV and installed just before dinner. only required me to remove the cold air scoop and undo the BOV from there, was surprised.

Aaaanyway, I flashed back to stock and replaced the original pill when I realized something was up with the pressure system last week. Driving after install, im noticing a definite pickup in spool and no leaky sounds :D Tomorrow I will reflash and see if it can hold the boost up top again. I'm still going to do a leak down test at some point too, ive got a feeling the LICP has a loose connector on it.

Thanks for the advice n help.

uhoh_evo
08-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Since the title says "bov advice" I'll put my question in here as well.

We all know bov problems for the VIII's. But I just noticed there are "kits" for like 15 bucks, I think it was, to recirculate a bov. Like HKS sold one for their SSQV and I think Perrin had one for their's as well. Anyone have any experience w/ these?

player67
08-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah there are iono if you meant for the stock bov cause stock is already recirced but yeah the HKS has a kit greddy has a kit Perrin is already recirced for our cars I think not sure.