PDA

View Full Version : battery question

Evo442
06-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Ok, so I added a pair of 10 inch subs and a mono amp to my evo as well as a zeitronix electronic display for my wideband. I also have a mini-battery kit. I've noticed that the little battery warning light now flickers on and off. When the car is sitting at idle and the battery light starts flickering, the motor stumbles a bit.

What does that little idiot light mean exactly? Is the battery running out of juice despite the motor running - I have a lot of electronic stuff hooked up - stereo, amp, subs, defi gauges, etc, etc. ? or do you think I have a short somewhere?

any thoughts would be appreciated.

mr05evo
06-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Try measuring the draw from the battery and altenator to see how much power is being used. I dont think it's a short.

Lurk
06-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Running a stereo system with a mini battery isn't a good idea. Those mini batteries barely have enough cold cranking amps to start the engine, let alone power a stereo with amps and subs. :lol:

Lurk
06-01-2007, 06:28 PM
BTW you should also get a volt meter and see what kind of load the stereo is putting on the electrical system when it's turned on.

Maybe also invest in a 1farad capacitor. That should ease some of the strain.

Evo442
06-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Yeah, the amp and subs were kind of an impulse buy. Its set up to be easily removable when I go to the track.

Forgive my ignorance, but I can hook the volt meter directly up to the battery and see what kinds of numbers I'm getting? How do you hook up the capacitor?

AreSTG
06-14-2007, 05:30 PM
my stock system drops the POS mr guage by like 2 volts when its turned up(bass at max of course). I can't imagine how far yours is dropping with subs and an amp.

Lurk
06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Yeah and it doesn't help that the alternators that come in our cars are complete shit.

They weren't meant to sustain a big stereo system, that's for sure. Even your stock system will make your lights dim when the bass is hitting.

A capacitor will help, slightly. Just get a cheap Stinger 1Farad. Should help a bit.

lncrevoviii
06-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Yeah and it doesn't help that the alternators that come in our cars are complete shit.

They weren't meant to sustain a big stereo system, that's for sure. Even your stock system will make your lights dim when the bass is hitting.

A capacitor will help, slightly. Just get a cheap Stinger 1Farad. Should help a bit.

So freakin true.