PDA

View Full Version : To Be Or Not To Be...Gutted?!?!

kinetics
06-04-2007, 07:30 PM
hey guys I'm currently running a HFC, but i want to run a TP but don't want to fail the visual inspection by the PoPo if they ever look underneath coz there wouldn't be any Cat present...and i don't want to buy another test pipe and weld heatshields on it...so my question is, would it be a good idea to just gut the HFC that i have now??? i mean wouldn't it be basically a straight through pipe with heat shields wrapped around it already???

Salamat guys!!! 8)

kinetics
06-04-2007, 10:00 PM
come on guys...no advice? comments? even flames???? aye i did some searching too but all were talking about stock cats...well aight thanx anyways!

byt
06-04-2007, 10:42 PM
sounds like such a waste of a hfc. why don't you just buy a test pipe and sell the hfc to recoupe the costs?

kinetics
06-04-2007, 11:22 PM
well guys thanx for the advice...well to byt atleast, thanx man! haha but i've decided to just keep my works HFC...not much difference really in power gains compared to a TP anyways...go CAVS!

Limeyboy
06-04-2007, 11:32 PM
less turbulent the exhaust flow the better. gutted cat is a bit more turbulent than a TP.

BOOSTX2
06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I think the empty space where the core used to live may cause some turbulance.also may be like a echo chamber louder than a test pipe...

SpeedElement
06-04-2007, 11:48 PM
The power gain between the HFC and TP is huge!! Its about 10whp on avg. But if you worry about the popo and visual inspection, yeah HFC is your best bet to keep it somewhat street legal.

kinetics
06-05-2007, 02:34 AM
10 whp???? man that is huge...man people told me it would only be like 3 - 5 at the most...but hearing it from you guys (SE)...hmmm aaaahhhhhhhhh i dunno what to do!!!

byt
06-05-2007, 08:34 AM
reasons i stuck with my hfc (same works one as you):

1. i can't stand the smell of catless
2. not as obvious to the popo
3. still make decent power, just not AS MUCH as test pipe

MarkSAE
06-05-2007, 09:19 AM
get the RRE "stealth cat".. it meets all your requirements.

Liquid-R1
06-05-2007, 09:39 AM
I'll be going from a HFC to a test pipe pretty soon. I will get re-tuned and you will be able to see the results :D

JDMevoBOOST
06-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Good luck with the headaches.....even running a test pipe on my integra stunk like crap....I can only imagine a turbo car going catless the smell you'd have sitting at a light next to a cop.....yah they know that smell....

dohcvtec
06-05-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't notice it.. :P

mtsevovii
06-05-2007, 10:33 AM
hehe i drive by cops everyday, a few of the same ones too. sometimes they stand right next to my car (when im sitting in traffic) and they are traffic cops (signalling ppl). they dont seem to have a problem. i saw hi every time too. they compliment my car.... **knocks on wood**

HassounEVO
06-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah, the one downside of a Test Pipe is the smell, its' absolutely disgusting. You can even smell it on your clothes after you leave the garage etc. When I switched from my WORKS HFC to a test pipe I felt a HUGE difference in power; it felt like everything just opened up. BTW, i've gotten a state referee ticket before and they didn't even look under my car while citing me, just under the hood?? Idiots don't even know what to look for....

kinetics
06-05-2007, 11:34 AM
ok anybody wanna buy a works HFC??? hahaha so i can get that RRE rally cat!!!

PANGES
06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
ok anybody wanna buy a works HFC??? hahaha so i can get that RRE rally cat!!!

I just talked to Devin from Speed Element and he said they have a few on the RRE rally cats in stock. Good luck! :D

spoolin
06-05-2007, 11:25 PM
TP's gain 10 whp over catted cars at the bare MINIMUM. There are much larger gains to be had, especially on higher octane/ higher boost/ bigger turbos. You can run more ignition timing, leaner afr's and more boost safley with a TP. it adds up...

Liquid-R1
06-06-2007, 01:47 AM
I just talked to Devin from Speed Element and he said they have a few on the RRE rally cats in stock. Good luck! :D

Picked one up, so I'm gonna guess 3 left ;)